NWT Saginaw 2018

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone explain to me how Johnnie Candle is still a touring "pro"? Has the guy placed higher than 25th in a tournament?

ifish4iz

Founding Member
Founding Member
He won a big national tourney just a few falls ago (sorry, don't remember which one) and he can sell ice to an eskimo, so does well with his sponsors.

limit2winit

Established Member
Johnnie Candle is very good at showcasing his sponsors. He did win the World Walleye Championship couple years ago which definitely helped his sponsorships.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
Johnnie and his partner were World Walleye Champions in 2010 and he was given a Honorary Lifetime Membership to the National Professional Anglers Association which at the time was only done something like 12 times before. He's a highly respected professional angler.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone explain to me how Johnnie Candle is still a touring "pro"? Has the guy placed higher than 25th in a tournament?

He has a catchy name and is good at self promotion.

The thing that I find odd is how bad he does at his home lake.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
He has a catchy name and is good at self promotion.

The thing that I find odd is how bad he does at his home lake.

I think guiding meathunters every day is a disadvantage

how do you get good at catching donkeys when you focus on dinks all day?

#donkeysvsdinks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnnie and his partner were World Walleye Champions in 2010 and he was given a Honorary Lifetime Membership to the National Professional Anglers Association which at the time was only done something like 12 times before. He's a highly respected professional angler.

he claimed that custom painted crankbaits (Chrome Crappie) played a role in his 2010 victory BTW

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
And I will be there the week end before - sucks to be them that week........my nickname is "Cold Front" - I can shut down the best fishery in the world in less than a hour.......

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
He may have won one tournament 8 YEARS ago. But I'd like to see his average finishes. When he was on Sak in the nineties he couldn't catch a cold. Granted the guy can sell and is a good self promoter and that's the ONLY thing that's kept him in the game. A NPAA membership doesnt mean squat, any Joe Blow can buy one for $100 and put a sticker on their outboard. Hell, I know of guys with a NPAA membership who don't own a boat! ;:;rofl

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not bashing him, just commenting on his tournament success (or lack of lately).

Personally I think he does a lot for local fishing, with being head of the Lake Region Anglers as well as all the seminars he does.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm not bashing him, just commenting on his tournament success (or lack of lately).

Personally I think he does a lot for local fishing, with being head of the Lake Region Anglers as well as all the seminars he does.

I saw him join a younger guy that wanted to develop a YouTube following for fishing. He jumped in his boat for a day and helped him film an episode. No strings attached. Taught him some tips for recording as well as some fishing tips. And this was for a guy with NO current following. Just a regular Joe. I thought that was a pretty stand up thing to do. We need more of that.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve known Johnnie since the 90s. I have fished with him several times on Sak. Has always been helpful to anybody. That guy loves to fish, has worked his tail off to be where he is and went through some obstacles to get there.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85