wooden rod handles

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
so for all u guys that build your own rods with wood handles, what kind of woods do you use and where do you get it at. I want to try making a couple wood handles but have no clue where to get the material at.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get a lot of wood from eBay. I really like walnut. Itsy light. Spalted maple looks really cool.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got a rod made that has badlands cedar for a handle. I'll post a pic of it when I pick it up.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any advantage to a wooden handle besides durability and appearance?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any advantage to a wooden handle besides durability and appearance?

Wood provides seamless contact with the rod blank without any gaps like foam or cork which provides an OUTSTANDING sense of feel with the lure. The wood in the handle balances the lure on the end. My rods were built to use an 1/8th oz jig. When I tie on a jig, the rod is perfectly balanced at the reel attachment with the size reel I have. It keeps your forearm and wrist from getting cramped or over tired throughout the day. My handles are made of purple heartwood, mesquite, and Black walnut. They are durable, but you have to keep them out of the sun. The heat and sun will make the handle split if you don't take care of them. It would be VERY DIFFICULT for me to use anything but a wood handle now.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come muddin' with me sometime and You'll have your chance.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wood provides seamless contact with the rod blank without any gaps like foam or cork which provides an OUTSTANDING sense of feel with the lure. The wood in the handle balances the lure on the end. My rods were built to use an 1/8th oz jig. When I tie on a jig, the rod is perfectly balanced at the reel attachment with the size reel I have. It keeps your forearm and wrist from getting cramped or over tired throughout the day. My handles are made of purple heartwood, mesquite, and Black walnut. They are durable, but you have to keep them out of the sun. The heat and sun will make the handle split if you don't take care of them. It would be VERY DIFFICULT for me to use anything but a wood handle now.

Sounds like my dream 16ga birdgun. For now I'll have to stick to fingers on the blank/line.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20150621_163709529_HDR.jpg
Here is a laminated handle I got from a friend.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a nice looking deal Auggie. Still, it would take a lot for me to change from cork. I love everything about it.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, what are you finishing your handles with? I recently bought a lathe and have turned a few handles. Just trying to figure out the next step.

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM those are works of art!
I've never had a wooden handle but I'm a huge fan of the carbon fiber ones I fish allot with.
magtouch.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, what are you finishing your handles with? I recently bought a lathe and have turned a few handles. Just trying to figure out the next step.

Clear seal and then clear shellac. Nothing special. You just need to make sure you don't over apply and get "The Runs". Some guys like to apply the shellac and then keep the lathe turning real slow until it dries enough to work with. Down side of that is the ends. You will probably need to do some sanding and touch-up work when the stuff dries. Have fun!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK...I've let this go and studied upon it a bit. These handles would provide zero advantage for feel unless one holds the rod forward of the reel or like a retard. I still maintain the appearance is beautiful like a fine doublegun and if that's what you want; I fault you not for going for it. I'm not your wife (yet) and will not fold/concur to any purported "edge". Besides needed protection from the sun, they would be slick as hell in rain. Getting soap up your piss hole establishes a special sort of pain.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85