Trailer Hubs - Concerned

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So today I decided to grease the hubs on my 3 year old trailer (first time) - took off the first cover and go to take the little rubber dust cap off and notice it is torn. Take it off and watery bad smelling grease comes out...not good me thinks. Hooked up the grease gun and began pumping the new grease in....the bad nasty grease out...used almost an entire tube because I wanted to make sure I got all the old out...so couple questions...first is the bad smelling watery grease the result of the rubber dust cap being torn and allowing water to get in or is it the result of something far worse? Next question...do I need to get the trailer somewhere to get the bearings re-packed ASAP? I ordered some new rubber dust caps...standard size. Was going to jack the trailer tomorrow and see if the wheel is spinning freely or if there is a noticeable issue. All feedback greatly appreciated gents!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
You likely blew out the seal on the back putting so much grease in the hub even if it was OK before you greased them. It sounds like even before that you need a repack and new seals anyways.

Id recommend pulling everything off, new seals, repacked or new bearings. Not big $$ but not keeping them up can result in big $$ repairs.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
You likely blew out the seal on the back putting so much grease in the hub even if it was OK before you greased them. It sounds like even before that you need a repack and new seals anyways.

Id recommend pulling everything off, new seals, repacked or new bearings. Not big $$ but not keeping them up can result in big $$ repairs.

My thoughts exactly. Need new seals now. If it were me, seeing water in there I would just bite the bullet and put new bearings, seals and possibly races in. Cost is pretty minimal and like AaronJ said, it can save you big money down the road, and not doing it can possibly cost you a fishing trip!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks gents...will call the trailer service place today...see when they can get me in.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you're the least bit mechanically inclined greasing bearings is an easy job.

I'd bet on the seal being blown out too. When I had my shop I always recommended putting bearings and races in together, usually they're a matched set. That way you don't have a nice shiny, new bearing running in an old corroded, worn or galled race.

If you have a shop do it have them show you how much grease you need to put in.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bearings and races go together do not EVER replace the bearing and not the race and usually they are a set.
Also when you are going to grease the bearing with a grease gun jack up the axle so the tire is off the ground and spin it while pumping grease into the grease zerk with a grease gun.
I would take it in also and do the bearing/race & seal and have them totally cleaned out and replace with new grease. Also i would have them replace the bearings and races with Timken bearings and not the chinese ones. Big difference in materials! Not that big of price difference when going to Napa. If they don't have them they can get them usually overnight. Also the rubber plug that was torn you can get at Glenn's welding and trailer supplies in Bismarck. http://glennsweldingnd.com/
They have many things for trailers and pickups. Most things are on hand too. Plugs run about $1.30 and i buy them 15-20 at a time. Keep spares on hand in each trailer in a bag screwed to the wall on our enclosed trailers.
If having a shop do it make sure it isn't a greenhorn doing the work so ALL the old grease comes out of the hub and they get packed correctly! Make sure they use Hi Temperature grease too.
Good luck.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Good info...thanks. Just thankful I didn't have an accident before found! Put fresh grease in yesterday...can I safely pull the trailer "slowly" to the service center?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
^ Good info...thanks. Just thankful I didn't have an accident before found! Put fresh grease in yesterday...can I safely pull the trailer "slowly" to the service center?[/QUO

Look on the inside of the hub and see if grease is all over the hub and or axle. That will tell you if the seal is totally blown out. If it has brakes on it you might not see it though.
If the repair shop isn't far away i would say yes you can pull it there but drive slow just in case something goes wrong.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
BBJ your advice perhaps just saved me a headache. We are headed to Montana so I am putting a new better axle on. I just bought bearings and an extra hub. I didn't buy races. My bearings and races looked perfect even though they are 12 years old and I have never touched them. I did have zerts front and back of the hub and greased every time I came out of the water. I guess I'll go buy new races tomorrow. They look perfect, but I don't know crap about these things. I am working with a friend who has many years of experience. A couple bucks ate not worth the risk.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Good info...thanks. Just thankful I didn't have an accident before found! Put fresh grease in yesterday...can I safely pull the trailer "slowly" to the service center?[/QUO

Look on the inside of the hub and see if grease is all over the hub and or axle. That will tell you if the seal is totally blown out. If it has brakes on it you might not see it though.
If the repair shop isn't far away i would say yes you can pull it there but drive slow just in case something goes wrong.

No brakes on the trailer...small single axle. Will take a look tonight tho when I jack it up...thanks again for the insight!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the race pressed in using heat / cold? will a torch be needed to cut it out? or lightly heat hub before driving it out? I agree if you are replacing bearing that race should be replaced but is replacing the race on the side of the road an easy task? I would think that unless you had to recover your tire / hub from the ditch you could get away with throwing a new or even used but intact bearing into the old race to get you home or at least a reasonable distance for repairs. I shudder at leaving a boat on the side of the road or a boat ramp area, no faith in humans anymore. just my humble opinion.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
No the race is either pounded in lightly and evenly or pressed in. Don't need to heat it or cool it. If taking it out use a flat faced punch and lightly tap it out going around the whole race not in one spot. Try not to hit the hub with your punch though.
Absolutely if out on the road you can just put the bearing in with the old race JUST to get home and repaired properly. Personally i would do the whole thing even if out on the road as we carry tools along. At least i did this in the past as now with the shot body and having a stroke i really don't know if i could even attempt it anymore!
This is just my thoughts and everyone is different. I totally agree i wouldn't want to let a boat or camper or enclosed trailer set along side of the road very long.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the race pressed in using heat / cold? will a torch be needed to cut it out? or lightly heat hub before driving it out? I agree if you are replacing bearing that race should be replaced but is replacing the race on the side of the road an easy task? I would think that unless you had to recover your tire / hub from the ditch you could get away with throwing a new or even used but intact bearing into the old race to get you home or at least a reasonable distance for repairs. I shudder at leaving a boat on the side of the road or a boat ramp area, no faith in humans anymore. just my humble opinion.

They will pound out but be dam sure to wear safety glasses. If they pound out hard , throw the race in the deep freeze it will shrink and drop right into a warm hub. Make sure the hub is clean where the race seats .

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
But for sure i would install Timken bearings and races NOT chinese! Not a doubt in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

No brakes on the trailer...small single axle. Will take a look tonight tho when I jack it up...thanks again for the insight!

You will be able to just look behind the tire and hub to see if the seal is shot as grease will be all around your axle, possibly on the inside of the rim, and also on the ground if the seal was shot and you pumped in a whole tube of grease!

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Understand...thanks...hate sitting in the office with so much to do...and so little time before Wednesday! May have to give up a fishing trip or two this week to make sure everything is GTG before heading back out. Thanks again for the obviously very experienced insight...appreciate it!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67