Go to fishing reel

shep07

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well in the process of fishing this weekend ended up breaking one of my reels a Pflueger president the lever to lock it from back reeling quit working. So got home and took it apart to see what the problem is and there is a plastic ring with an arm that sticks out that has a spring that attaches to the back reel lock and that arm broke. Went to Pfluegers website and I can order the parts from them but I'm not a big fan of cheap plastic parts in my equipment. So I was looking at new reels and wondering if the patriarch or the new supreme xt. Are they worth the money? Or what is your go to reel?

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use the pflueger supreme. My brother runs the patriarch. I think they are worth the money.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
sl1000-1.jpg

Magnetic Bail -12 bearing -titanium

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the more expensive pfliger reels but can't justify buying anouther. The president's are a damn fine reel for the money.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
shimano sienna. if it breaks or quits working after a few year big deal, 30 bucks and I got a new one:)

2500 size for soft water 500 size for hard water

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use shimano stadics in the 1000 series thanks to the advice from a great friend. Fishing the river, I do more casting in one week than most guys do in a summer so I need a very durable reel. I usually get two years out of a reel and then I need to start shopping. Unfortunately, both my reels are gasping for air right now. Probably going to take me down a few C bills to get back up and running.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Casting cranks in current has to be the hardest thing on reels, I've used top of the line reels in daiwa and that only last 3 months ,pfliger less then 3 months. The only reel company that lasts is shimano. I like the fast reels 6-1 ratio shimano saros is the only one I use now. The cost is around 150.00 but if I don't replace it for over 5 years and counting its better then spending 60.00 every 3 months.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use shimano stadics in the 1000 series thanks to the advice from a great friend. Fishing the river, I do more casting in one week than most guys do in a summer so I need a very durable reel. I usually get two years out of a reel and then I need to start shopping. Unfortunately, both my reels are gasping for air right now. Probably going to take me down a few C bills to get back up and running.
Send them in to get rebuilt and buy a couple new ones while you wait.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 3 pfleuger presidents for ice fishing. They are about half as good as a shimano in the same price range. The drag in the president really sucks. I have never tried them in the summer though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only want reels with flippin switches on them. that makes it really hard to buy new ones since Quantum is the only one that makes a decent one. The garcia ones are junk. I've bought a few used ones on ebay that were like new so I'm stocking up

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only want reels with flippin switches on them. that makes it really hard to buy new ones since Quantum is the only one that makes a decent one. The garcia ones are junk. I've bought a few used ones on ebay that were like new so I'm stocking up
And rapalas dont work and buck brush is the devil....

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll second the Shimano Stradic for walleye action.

Abu Garcia Revo Toro for musky. If you want the very best and don't mind dropping $500, look at the Shimano Tranx.

shep07

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to check into the shimano reels haven't had any experience with them myself. My other go to reel is a daiwa exceller and it has held up pretty good for me for the last 3 years. I don't do a ton of casting I would say my summers are split 50/50 between casting and trolling lindys mainly on Sakawea. This year was probably the most I have casted cranks with that reel since I've owned it but it seemed to be working fine still reeled nice and smooth right up until it broke. How often do you guys takes your reels apart and give them a little clean up and fresh lube?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say Stradic, with a bit of a sigh...... When they were made in Japan, they were better than they are now, the Malaysian components and construction just isn't as good. That said, when a guy can get them on sale for $100-125 they'll still significantly outlast most of the rest.

Sad to say, but, the Malaysian model has me considering looking at a price comparable Diawa just to see what's what.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the c14s stradics made in malaysia as well as the japanese made ones. The japanese made stradics lasted a long time and i had them rebuilt. The parts were hard to find though. I have had the c14's since they came out and no troubles thus far.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the c14s stradics made in malaysia as well as the japanese made ones. The japanese made stradics lasted a long time and i had them rebuilt. The parts were hard to find though. I have had the c14's since they came out and no troubles thus far.

If you have high end reels it pays to get them professionally cleaned and tuned every few seasons for sure!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always liked the shimano symetre.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87