SeaStar Hydraulic Steering

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a 2011 150 HP Yamaha with SeaStar Hydraulic Steering with a leaky seal. Wondering how many $ the repair shops nick you to have them replaced. Also, I am a pretty fair mechanic. If anyone has done it themselves, how big of a pain was it? Looks like you need a two-jawed puller to get the support bracket loose. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

eliminator

Honored Member
The seals are very easy to change out. Have done it and you can order them online---somewhere in the 100 dollar range. It comes with the wrench you need to get them off. Not a big job at all----if you go to utube you can even watch a video on doing it. I watched it the first time I replaced them.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had mine off my yamahammer but haven't actually taken it apart. I just had to remove it, flip the mount over and reinstall it in order to make more room for the cylinder/hose ports. The boat came with a 2" offset manual jack plate and when I have it set where it needs to be for optimum performance, I couldn't trim up far enough to get my transom saver in. Removal of the cylinder and mount was super easy. Not sure about disassembly of the cylinder though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you will have to have the correct spanner wrench to remove the cap on the cylinder I believe.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
you will have to have the correct spanner wrench to remove the cap on the cylinder I believe.

The repair kit from Amazon comes with a spanner wrench. The youtube video shows needing a puller but that guy was also working, I believe, on an engine that had been exposed to salt water so maybe the fresh water units come apart easier. I will give it a shot but might not do it for a while. I can always bleed it again if need be 'cause its not leaking too bad.

eliminator

Honored Member
Yes, the kit does come with the spanner wrench. Mine came apart super easy and was very easy to put back together. Good Luck, if you are mechanically inclined at all you should have no problem.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57