Ranger 620VS

defiant1

Honored Member
Since I cannot afford a new boat, I am picking up a 2002 Ranger 620VS in the next week or so. If anyone owns one (or has owned one), please let me know any idiosyncrasies I can look forward to with this boat.

d1

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't mind would you answer a few? I'm in the market for a used one too, and am curious as to the price you are paying. Does it have a kicker? You can message me if you don't want it all public.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have a clean 08 with yamahas on it for sale this fall. #$%^&>
Great boats, I'll be getting another.

ranger 08.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably a little too much $$$ but shoot me a price, I might bite

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't had a 2002 but a can tell you this: Built like a tank. If taken care of it will be a good boat. Biggest concern will be the motor.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone tell me what's so great about a ranger? I've never been in one but from what I've been told they are not the best riding boat. But again I have never experienced one. But from what I've seen in the older ones and the side storage in the back that takes up a lot of room it wouldt be for me. Same with the older skeeters. Not bashing just curious what the draw is.

defiant1

Honored Member
If you don't mind would you answer a few? I'm in the market for a used one too, and am curious as to the price you are paying. Does it have a kicker? You can message me if you don't want it all public.

PM sent. It does have a kicker.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone tell me what's so great about a ranger? I've never been in one but from what I've been told they are not the best riding boat. But again I have never experienced one. But from what I've seen in the older ones and the side storage in the back that takes up a lot of room it wouldt be for me. Same with the older skeeters. Not bashing just curious what the draw is.
I’ve been in several and they are a dime a dozen for used boats I don’t like them because of the u-shaped storage in the back takes up too much room for me. They are an ok ride but warrior or skeeter has them bested. (IMO). They are fast but I’ll take a smooth ride over fast any day

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Because they are the dryest ride one can buy

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its all a chevy, ford, ram debate. Find what you want and buy it. I have a ranger because my wife liked it best out of the three options I gave her. "Happy wife" compared to my last two boats it is my favorite ride tho fwiw

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
boat will be great, if it's got the optimax motor, make sure you let it warm up a bit before giving it full throttle! There was a thread about optimax overhaul on here wasn't there?

My dad's got a 1999 619, 225 opti and 4 stroke kicker. ride is great, fishes alright, and he'll be able to sell it for almost what he paid for it several years ago. in my opinon the 619 is a bit small to fish 3 people with the above mentioned "U" shape storage in the back.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve been in several and they are a dime a dozen for used boats I don’t like them because of the u-shaped storage in the back takes up too much room for me. They are an ok ride but warrior or skeeter has them bested. (IMO). They are fast but I’ll take a smooth ride over fast any day
I would say all fiberglass boats ride much better than any aluminum boat. Picking he best between the fiberglass boats is just personal preference.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few things I think are very attractive regarding owning/fishing a Ranger 619/620/621:

1. How low they sit in the water when not on plane. There’s very little boat catching wind this making boat control exponentially easier.

2. Re-sale, I don’t thibk anything retains value like a Ranger.

3. Everything from the bow eye to the prop as well as the trailer has been extremely well thought out AND very well executed.

The more boats one owns, rides in, and/or fishes from, the more one learns that there is no “perfect” boat.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF is about spot on. I really hated the rear horse shoe storage but outside of that, the 6 series rangers do a lot of things very well and the new FS series only made the hull and interiors that much better. I spent some time in a 621FS last season and we ran some pretty rough water and it really changed my opinion of these boats. Enough so that even though I'm a pretty tried and true Yar-Craft person, I can certainly see significant merit in how these boats perform, fish, and handle. When I jump up to a 21 foot boat in the next few years, there's no doubt I'll consider a 621FS right along with the 219TFX Yar-craft and the Nitro ZV21. There are things I like and dislike about each but at this point in the game, these are the three at the top of the list.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those earlier rangers definitely didn't have a reputation as a dry boat.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF pretty much nailed it. I don't mind the U storage on the 621 because there is still a pile of room and most of my tackle can go in one side avoiding tackle bag clutter. Shorthairs vid is true for trolling straight into big rollers. If you corner them a little it works just fine. Every time I take mine out it makes me happy in the face. If I was all BIG water, I would consider a big Warrior. Up at LOW they run a ton of Sportcrafts, but I just can't get myself to go for a tugboat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF pretty much nailed it. I don't mind the U storage on the 621 because there is still a pile of room and most of my tackle can go in one side avoiding tackle bag clutter. Shorthairs vid is true for trolling straight into big rollers. If you corner them a little it works just fine. Every time I take mine out it makes me happy in the face. If I was all BIG water, I would consider a big Warrior. Up at LOW they run a ton of Sportcrafts, but I just can't get myself to go for a tugboat.

you will own a cruiser some day - when your back is hashed and you're kids have worn you to a nub "wrastling"

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had allot of boats, mostly skeeters and our tourney boat has been a speedy 219 yar last couple years.
This was my first ranger, main reason I bought it... I was sick of bobbing up and down in big chop with the trolling motor out of the water. Only to look over and see a ranger just sitting there, now I'm that guy. And being a live bait trolling type the boat fits me perfectly.
And for those that are putting down the ride it makes me wonder if you've ever really rode in a 20 or 21. I've ran a 621 in a tourney and it flattened out the big stuff with ease and was dry. Fit and finish is as good as it gets as is resale.
Never thought I'd like the boxed in rear and even bashed it a fair amount without ever being in one. But now that I've had one it has gave me zero issues and I don't mind it at all. My next boat will just be a little bigger going to the 621.
There are allot of very good reasons why you see so many on the water. Even the older ones don't seem to age and they hold up extremely well.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddies 620 is a 2014 I think. The only thing I don't like is the gas gauge. It doesn't have a needle but electronic blocks, and its off! We went a ways in day one of a tournament and when we came in his gas light was on and said we were running on fumes. When he filled up, he said he put 27 gallons in but said his tank is like 46.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77