Anyone regret going from aluminum hull to glass hull?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just curious here if anyone (I'm sure someone has) regretted going from an aluminum hulled boat over to a glass hull?

I'm contemplating getting a different boat over the next year or two and have really been thinking about going glass for the ride. But that's only one part of the equation, beaching is another, and I'm sure there are things that those who have done it only learned in hindsight.

One thing that I thought was interesting over this past weekend is that I watched several glass boats in moderately high waves and was amazed at how much they still bounced up and down. In particular, these were Skeeter, Stratos, and Triton boats. From a distance they sure seemed to bob up and down a heck of a lot like my old Lund Fisherman when they put their bow into the wind. The Toon was a hell of a lot smoother!!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen.hull design suck on boats you mentioned in big water,running mate had his 1st sponsor boat from skeeter years back,beat the hell outof us in 3' chop and up,then worse than skeeter was champion,again flat hull glass from mid boat back and horse shit ride in rough water.

Big water glass rigs like ranger,warrior and yar craft (if they are stiil around.) are hard to beat on big water.

I always had two rigs small 16' lund puddle jumper with a yammie 40 4 stroke and warrior for big water runs.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went from a tyee to a skeeter. There is no comparison as far as bobbing and control in the wind. Basically couldn't troll into any wind with the Tyee because trolling motor was constantly out of water, Not an issue with the Skeeter. Skeeter also tracks much better if being hit with a cross wind because of the keel and lower stance. Tyee was an effing sail.

If you only fish big water, then you will have no regrets. If you fish smaller stuff and the river a lot, then i think its 50/50.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last summer I fished twice out of a buddy's 19 ft Skeeter...first time out flat calm lake...so nothing to report. Second time out 15-20 mph winds...so maybe 2 to 3 ft rollers...so not crazy bad. Anyway, we put in at Ft Stevenson...ran east to the embankment and around Mallard...then ran west to Douglas Bay. So about 10 to 15 miles all said and done. Honestly I didn't think the ride was anymore smooth/stable than my 16 foot aluminum deep V. Now to be fair, think I probably need a few more trips out with him to really get a good feel for it. Even on big water, to me, the $15-$20K difference in a 19 ft glass boat is just not worth it. I'm gonna jump up to the 18.5ft Alumacraft Trophy next year. Can get the boat set up with the motor/electronics I want for less than $40K. Same size glass boat will be $55 to $60K. Just can't do it...but that's just me!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, part of the problem for me is I fish a heck of a lot of different waters each year. Everything from White Earth down to the dam on Sak, the river near Bismarck, Lake Oahe, and all the smaller lakes in the area. I'm starting to really like the Toon for fishing Sak and big waters, but when I don't have the kids with me it would be really nice to put in on Sak and not have such a small workable area (which I think a fast and large glass boat brings to the table). I rarely go any farther than a 30 minute ride by water, regardless of what I am floating on.

I need to become the Jay Leno of boat owners! Donations accepted. :)

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep...kinda think we should defer to the guys that have owned both glass and tin...in comparable size/set ups. If a guy goes from a 16 foot tin boat up to a 21 ft Warrior...thinking he is gonna say glass is the only way to go. Also think lot of this...like everything, is just personal taste. If like me you are someone who avoids fishing on windy (20mph+) days, not sure I would really ever "enjoy" the glass ride compared to a tin. I believe with an 18.5 ft aluminum deep V that has a 98 inch beam and 175hp motor I'd be good on Sakakawea...at least on the days I'd head out!

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last summer I fished twice out of a buddy's 19 ft Skeeter...first time out flat calm lake...so nothing to report. Second time out 15-20 mph winds...so maybe 2 to 3 ft rollers...so not crazy bad. Anyway, we put in at Ft Stevenson...ran east to the embankment and around Mallard...then ran west to Douglas Bay. So about 10 to 15 miles all said and done. Honestly I didn't think the ride was anymore smooth/stable than my 16 foot aluminum deep V. Now to be fair, think I probably need a few more trips out with him to really get a good feel for it. Even on big water, to me, the $15-$20K difference in a 19 ft glass boat is just not worth it. I'm gonna jump up to the 18.5ft Alumacraft Trophy next year. Can get the boat set up with the motor/electronics I want for less than $40K. Same size glass boat will be $55 to $60K. Just can't do it...but that's just me!

your A. joking
B. buddy doesn't know how to drive a boat
C. High

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
your A. joking
B. buddy doesn't know how to drive a boat
C. High

Ha Ha...like I said above, sure I just need a few more rides to compare! Maybe I was expecting a ride that's not realistic...3 years ago I fished Van Hook in a 21 ft 2007 Warrior. Again, to me the ride wasn't noticeably better...but as I said Sweeney...we should defer to folks that have owned both glass and tin boats in a similar set up...just my take!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 620 Ranger and also run a Lund 2075 Pro V allot "friends".
There is a difference in ride but not much, the Lund has allot softer pad than I ever thought it would have and it tracks extremely well and gets out of the hole really quick. The only thing I don't like is that in bigger chop the trolling motor is out of the water a bunch just like the 219 yar with the jackplated 350 we run in the touneys. Even with the 72 inch shaft. Its almost impossible to use a 60" shaft in the Lund and Yar where as its no problem at all with the ranger with one.

The biggest factor in ride, in bigger waves is the "gap" factor and if you don't have it you are going to get piss pounded I don't care what make and model you have in a 17-18 foot boat. Drove a 386 stratos just this week...uffda no way I could go back to a boat of that length. A 20 ft boat lets you get up on them and run on most days on the big lakes. But I will have a 21 ft in the near future, every ft is just that much better in my opinion when you can get up on top of them and run. That's where the 219 yar really shines being long and narrow it takes big waves at speed better than any boat I've been in.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went from a 03 alumacraft trophy to a 08 skeeter wx1880 and after owning the skeeter for a year, I sold it and bought a new alumacraft trophy. The ride and boat control of the skeeter over the alumacrafts are night and day as you'd expect going from aluminum to glass. The one and only reason I won't be buying another glass boat was because of the $7,000 repair needed to fix a massive gel coat spidering issue cause by some interior structural issue with the skeeter. After spending around 5 months dealing with skeeters (headquarters in texas) runaround bullshit and eventual denial of warranty coverage, which skeeter said was "cosmetic" based on a couple pictures they saw, even though the repair shop who physically inspected the boat said it was a structural issue that caused the gel coat problems and the warranty would cover structural issues but not "cosmetic" issues.

Anyway, this expensive repair was not caused by hitting anything and was just an unlucky situation. The most telling thing for me was when I talked with the owner of the repair shop and was pressing him for some information on what boat brands he has seen the least in his shop and he just flat out told me "there is a reason I own an aluminum boat". That information and my own personal shitty experience with a glass boat made me go back to aluminum. I realize my experience isn't a common issue but I decided dealing with it once was more than enough for me and I'm glad to be back in an aluminum boat. I wish I would have had a better experince with my glass boat because I almost exclusively fish sakakawea and the ride of an aluminum boat doesn't compare to the ride of a glass boat, it's not really even close. Now I get to bob up and down with my trolling motor out of the water half the time when it's windy and boat control sucks compared to glass but at least I don't have to think about another random expensive fiberglass fix. That reminds me, f*** you to the two dickheads I dealt with at skeeter for 5 months. They were the most incompetent f***bags I've ever dealt with. My post is already a novel so I won't get into the more irritating details of dealing with those two from skeeter but they know who they are and what I think about them.

This was just my experience with a glass boat and from what I've gathered, I was just flat out unlucky.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man that does suck marbles, wish I had known your story I might have been able to help you out down there in Texas. Got to know one of the heads of skeeter down there.
I have had like 10 of those 1880s and never had a fiberglass problem like that. But I do know of others who have as well, some in the newest models.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I’m probably a minority here but I was aluminum all my life until I got a Stratos 386 3 years ago, the only thing I miss is a roller trailer! I loved being able to just get the boat close enough to when she falls off the trailer it’s in water and you were set to go. When I was pricing my go to boats for the layout I wanted it was between skeeter, Stratos, alumacraft, or the Lund crossover. IMO the aluminum boats were pricing themselves out of the market-with what came standard on Stratos and skeeter compared to adding the options on the tin ones I came within 6-7k differences when apples to apples, and that difference was largely ate up by motor size on the tin being 115hp and 150’s on the glass. Luckily for me I found a 2 yr old with 12 hours on it and 3 yr motor warranty left for well under book on anything and laid out perfectly for me

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man that does suck marbles, wish I had known your story I might have been able to help you out down there in Texas. Got to know one of the heads of skeeter down there.
I have had like 10 of those 1880s and never had a fiberglass problem like that. But I do know of others who have as well, some in the newest models.

Out of curiosity, what is his name? You can pm me if you don't want to share it here. I'm just curious if it's one of the two I had to deal with. I almost drove my damn boat down to Kilgore TX to show them in person but figured after dealing with them for 5 months I was already beyond pissed and figured nothing good would have come out of that.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ Marbles...how do you like your Alumacraft Trophy? Unless something changes planning to get the 18 ft Trophy...thanks!

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went from a 1775 Lund Impact to a Nitro ZV18. I did like my Lund a lot but the ride in the Nitro is pretty damn sweet. Top it off with smooth move seats and The comfort factor is night and day in bigger waves and chop. Keep it in mind when you’re getting serious, I’ll take you fishing but you can drive. Just no pics of my gps waypoints ;)

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^ Marbles...how do you like your Alumacraft Trophy? Unless something changes planning to get the 18 ft Trophy...thanks!

I really like it. I got a 2014 LE Trophy 185. I know in 2015 they changed their design a little to cater to the fish/ski crowd so I'm not sure about the newer ones but I like mine a lot. They are HEAVY boats with the 2XB hull so I got it maxed out with a 175 Yamaha and threw on a 9.9 kicker with electric trim. I like the built in rail system for rod holders you can move anywhere on the boat and I like the two rod storage lockers and I like that the LE has a sliding drawer below the dash on the driver and passenger sides.

One of the negatives of the trophy is the boat sits damn high in the water so if there is any wind, the boat turns into a sailboat and makes boat control a little tougher while fishing. The fact that it sits so high in the water is also a positive when you are in big waves as I have never taken on water in rough weather. I knew this when I bought it since I had already owned one so it didn't bother me but if you aren't used to a boat that sits that high then you might not like it if you are expecting easy boat control. The trophy isn't a speed demon by any means but it is a heavy sturdy boat.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just picked up a new zv18 a month ago... have owned lund, crestliner, and the suntracker toon, and have fished alot out of bigger aluminum boats... the fishing toon just wasn't working for me anymore as i fish western sak almost exclusively now with a few trips to devils mixed in...

yesterday we pulled a nice limit of eyes on a day i wouldn't have even put the toon in the water... was fishing a wind blown point mud line as close as 10' from shore against a quartering wind - had the 112 terrova up to 8 at times to get the speed to 1.3 or more, but still had 1/2 battery life left when we got home... the boat is planted in the water and worked well in 3 footers with a 60" shaft... i'm sure the 21 would be more stable in the front, but was way over my budget...

when i started shopping i built 18 to 19' aluminum online in every flavor i liked the design of (big fishable front) and was shocked by the prices... i ended up finding a new nitro with a 150 4 stroke and a bow mount and graph at the helm for 42ish - bout the price of a new aluminum the same size... gotta do some homework...

the ride - i'm a bad 1 to ask as they all kill my back in the chop so i don't run hard... i'd say the glass is more stable running in chop, but still not what i'd say was comfortable... the toon was, but i couldn't fish the way i wanted to most days i had off where i fish now... i really think like some have mentioned that the length has more to do with the ride...

in the end i'm thankful to say that i've already had hundreds of eyes in the boat this year, and that all comes down to handling the waves and wind better than any aluminum boat i've ever fished out of... that's what it's all about for me...

good luck allen...

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really like it. I got a 2014 LE Trophy 185. I know in 2015 they changed their design a little to cater to the fish/ski crowd so I'm not sure about the newer ones but I like mine a lot. They are HEAVY boats with the 2XB hull so I got it maxed out with a 175 Yamaha and threw on a 9.9 kicker with electric trim. I like the built in rail system for rod holders you can move anywhere on the boat and I like the two rod storage lockers and I like that the LE has a sliding drawer below the dash on the driver and passenger s

One of the negatives of the trophy is the boat sits damn high in the water so if there is any wind, the boat turns into a sailboat and makes boat control a little tougher while fishing. The fact that it sits so high in the water is also a positive when you are in big waves as I have never taken on water in rough weather. I knew this when I bought it since I had already owned one so it didn't bother me but if you aren't used to a boat that sits that high then you might not like it if you are expecting easy boat control. The trophy isn't a speed demon by any means but it is a heavy sturdy boat.

Thanks for the insight...appreciate your objective observations!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67