Yamaha V-Max

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at a boat with a 2003 V-max. Is there anything bad I should be aware of with these older V-max 2-strokes?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as I know they are about the best motors in that time period, lots of them still running around

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Former co-worker has an '03 200HPDI that he bought new, had some sort of relay issue with the 1st summer and it's been trouble-free ever since. It's a bit louder than a 4-stroke @ idle but they're about the same from 3K-6K rpm which is mid-range cruising to WOT. On humid mornings and evenings you can see a bit more exhaust smoke, but during the day or low-humidity you really can't tell. Right away in the spring it starts up as easily/smoothly as any EFI 4-stroke.

If an HPDI were mounted to a boat I wanted, it wouldn't spook me off. I'd probably pay a bit closer attention in cold weather to give it plenty of warm-up. No idea if it's been an issue for Yamaha but I know it has been for Opti-Max and they're similar technology.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it straight VMax or is it VMax HPDI? For a while Yamaha had non-HPDI (high pressure direct injection) VMax motors. In the 90's they were probably carbed, then for a while in the late 90's/early 2000's they had the OX-66 fuel injected version.

I've had a 2003 150 VMax HPDI for about 4 years now and have not had problems yet. It always starts easy and has good low end grunt. A little louder than a 4 stroke at idle but not really any noticeable difference at cruising speed. It's a LOT quieter than an Optimax, which is funny since they're similar technologies. I run a higher pitch prop than most 150 4-strokes on similar size rigs because of the different torque curve and the lower max WOT RPM range. It's not as smooth at idle as a 4 stroke because it shuts off 2 of the 6 cylinders when it's not in gear. There's very little smoke except on cold days, but there is a little bit of 2-stroke exhaust smell if the wind blows it back at you. When in gear at low idle it doesn't troll down as slow as a 150 Yamaha 4-stroke, but I never use it for that because I have a kicker.

Over the course of reading up about them before and after purchase the only big problem I've heard about is if you get trouble with fuel quality. There are some small screen type filters in the high pressure fuel pump that are referred to as 'mystery filters' because the pump is considered a non-serviceable item. Some folks ended up replacing the whole expensive pump assembly because of $5 filters that weren't shown in any parts diagram. The partial blockage on those screens caused surging and lack of power. I've never had that problem, but I do make sure my in-line filters in front of the high pressure pump are in good shape, and I keep the fuel treated with stabilizer and Yamaha ring-free. I try to avoid ethanol fuel when possible, especially toward the end of season when it might end up sitting until the following spring.

Mine has been a great motor but if you're concerned about resale value there are definitely people out there who won't consider a 2-stroke under any circumstances, even if it's a good one.

JakeV

I currently have a 2003 150 VMax Carb'd outboard. Beside's general maintenance it has been pretty bulletproof.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys I'm hoping for the best gonna look at it tomorrow and buy it if no issues.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not HPDI but OX66 3.1L

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The OX66 is supposed to be pretty solid. So was the the 2.6L 200 HPDI that I had however I must’ve gotten the 1 in 1000 that was a piece of shit, $6k, 3 dealerships, and 6 months later it still wouldn't run right. 6 months out of warranty and Yamaha nor anyone else wanted anything to do with it. Unfortunately it was my first, only , and last Grey motor I’ll have for some time. I’ll take my noisy big block Opti every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

FYI, yes they are both high pressure direct injection 2-stroke engines however they achieve it very very differently. The HPDI fuel system is more complex than the space shuttle using several fuel pumps, and 9 or ten filters including the cups at each injector. To say they can be sensitive with fuel is an understatement. The Opti uses an air compressor to to pressureize and atomize the fuel through a separate air injector. And as someone else mentioned, the HPDI gets a “mystery” filter inside the non-serviceable high pressure pump that’s the size of an eraser, brilliant! FYI, that pump is a couple $k.Am I sour, yep, still stings... is there someone with a bad experience with an Opti or Verado; probably and probably even on this forum. Bottem line, do your do diligence, check it over inside and out, water test it, and cross your fingers your not buying somebody’s problem. This is the joy of buying used.

good luck, lol

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The OX66 is as good as it gets in regards to boat motors for reliability

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should be test driving it tomorrow, what should I be looking for as far as the V-max main motor anyway. BTW, the kicker is an 8hp Vmax 4 stoke

- - - Updated - - -

The OX66 is as good as it gets in regards to boat motors for reliability

I hope to God you're right. I may be owning one!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should be test driving it tomorrow, what should I be looking for as far as the V-max main motor anyway. BTW, the kicker is an 8hp Vmax 4 stoke

- - - Updated - - -

I hope to God you're right. I may be owning one!

An OX66 would assuredly give me the warm and fuzzies. As for what to look for, pull the hood and look @ electrical connectors for cracking and corrosion. Look at the hoses to see if they're in good shape or cracked and worn. Look for any leaks at the seams of the heads, intake, exhaust, fuel, and water lines. On a motor of that age, anything that's been replaced recently should stand out as looking "new". I'd want to know the what's and why's of any componentry that looked to have been recently replaced.

The kicker is a plain old T-8 that someone had the hood done up to look like the main. Lots of them like that. T-8's are bulletproof. Choke it for the 1st start of the day and it'll purr like a kitten after that.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The OX66 is supposed to be pretty solid. So was the the 2.6L 200 HPDI that I had however I must’ve gotten the 1 in 1000 that was a piece of shit, $6k, 3 dealerships, and 6 months later it still wouldn't run right. 6 months out of warranty and Yamaha nor anyone else wanted anything to do with it. Unfortunately it was my first, only , and last Grey motor I’ll have for some time. I’ll take my noisy big block Opti every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

FYI, yes they are both high pressure direct injection 2-stroke engines however they achieve it very very differently. The HPDI fuel system is more complex than the space shuttle using several fuel pumps, and 9 or ten filters including the cups at each injector. To say they can be sensitive with fuel is an understatement. The Opti uses an air compressor to to pressureize and atomize the fuel through a separate air injector. And as someone else mentioned, the HPDI gets a “mystery” filter inside the non-serviceable high pressure pump that’s the size of an eraser, brilliant! FYI, that pump is a couple $k.Am I sour, yep, still stings... is there someone with a bad experience with an Opti or Verado; probably and probably even on this forum. Bottem line, do your do diligence, check it over inside and out, water test it, and cross your fingers your not buying somebody’s problem. This is the joy of buying used.

good luck, lol

Sounds like you were the unlucky one that got the lemon. It's pretty sad that Yamaha never released any technical service bulletins or did anything of substance to help those that had the most trouble. Most of the info I found on the net about the mystery filters originated from savvy marine mechanics that really dug into the problems and figured it out on their own. Even more disappointing is that those same mechanics couldn't get replacement filters from Yamaha, they somehow figured out how to order them elsewhere. I think I found the info at thehulltruth.com

I think the Optimax is actually classified as a low pressure direct injection. The end result is fairly similar but the supporting systems are very different. Opti's can be great motors too, but it's approaching Chevy vs. Ford in some respects. Opti's weren't flawless either, especially the earlier big block models. Some was user error with pounding the throttle before they were warmed up, but some was definitely the product. Before they got a reputation as a reliable motor with great power to weight ratio they were known as Opti-pops because of how many blew up powerheads. It seems like they nailed it with all HP ranges after around 2003, but they were all still loud as hell. The coils had persistently aggravating failure rates until at least 2008.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the items stated above. Also look at head and case bolts to see if they still have nice paint on them. I’d so then it’s never been opened up. Look at prop for dings. Spin prop to see if it spins freely and doesn’t make any strange noises. The kicker is as good as it gets too. When you drive it run it wide open and note what the max rpm’s are.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Test drove it yesterday, no deal breakers....would have took it home but he is replacing both cables to kicker and parts weren't in..;:;banghead So drove 4 hours just to drive half way tomorrow to pick it up. Sellers fishing partner is a certified boat mechanic and owns a small dealership in Belle Fouche SD. They've kept this boat pristine IMO. He seemed more pissed than me That parts didn't come in. The troll master 2 is the cats meow!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big questions are, what are you going to do with the bathtub and how am I supposed to recognize you @ the mouth of the Cannonball?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
2nd the whereabouts of the bathtub. I’ll

- - - Updated - - -

2nd the whereabouts of the bathtub. I’ll

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now i cant post pics from phone;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

20180721_131109.jpg