Depth Finder/Trolling motor combo

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older crestliner 1750 fishhawk and it has a greatly under powered 50ftlb trolling motor that I should upgrade and I would like to upgrade my graph from the cheapy eagle I currently have. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't want to spend a ton upgrading an old boat but what could a guy get into for say $1000-1500. I should also add that i'm not opposed to finding good used equiptment as the boat is 20 years old itself....

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
80lb terrova 24volt and any of the hds lines or the lowrance elite ti with total scan or lss2. I would say you could pick up a terrova and an hds 8 for around 1200 bucks used on bisman maybe better deals if you have facebook or ebay.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
now would I be better off spending more and getting electronics that speak to eachother?

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, what sweeney said. Since the Ulterra came out there are a lot of fisherman upgrading from the Terrova. Me included. I was pondering the same on going with compatible electronics but chose to stay with HDS. No complaints as the mapping the HDS provides let's me search out the spots I think hold fish. Following a contour would be a nice feature along with some of the others but my current set up is producing fish pretty well.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just bought a new nitro at swensons rv in minot... the trackers and nitros come with trolling motors and graphs in a package, and a lot of them end up getting traded in at the dealership by people that want to step up to higher end stuff... my boat came with a 70# powerdrive and a hook 5 that were both traded in... i was told that they can't be sold as new, and they have a bunch of them sitting there... probably get a pretty good deal on take offs...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who would put a power drive on a new boat? That should be illegal in this time age! It’s tough to use an I pilot and ever go back to anything less. Lots of terrovas on bisman lately.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who would put a power drive on a new boat? That should be illegal in this time age! It’s tough to use an I pilot and ever go back to anything less. Lots of terrovas on bisman lately.

i would - never use the record feature and rarely use the spot lock... i just need the extra power of the 36 volt... i used power drives for years...

i also put the new hook graphs on the new boat - better technology than 5 year old hd's had for 1/4 the price of the new ones - catch just as many fish as i fish the same old spots the same old way...

i'm thankful for the peeps that spend the money on the latest and greatest as that just drives down the prices of what i need...

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a 2018 Powerdrive Ipilot on my rig this spring. I'm not fancy enough to link the graph/ motor. Spot Lock/ Remote Control was all I needed.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older crestliner 1750 fishhawk and it has a greatly under powered 50ftlb trolling motor that I should upgrade and I would like to upgrade my graph from the cheapy eagle I currently have. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't want to spend a ton upgrading an old boat but what could a guy get into for say $1000-1500. I should also add that i'm not opposed to finding good used equiptment as the boat is 20 years old itself....
My old man has an 80lb 24v terrova for sale. I don’t believe it is an i-Pilot though.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
so without ipilot you don't have spotlock or a the remote correct?

I feel like a moron with all this stuff 12-15 years ago I was on top of everything fishing but when the kids were lil we just kinda went away from it except run out anchor and slip bobber, now the 2 oldest are going on 12 and 14 and they wanna fish like everyone else lol

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
can somebody correct me if i am wrong ---my terrova is an ipilot- so when i am in windy conditions -- i push down the button to go in a straight line -- if i hold onto the button the compass portion takes over (not gps). If i push the button quickly then its on gps. gps works fine in low wind but the per the compass works better in high wind -- the compass is what every autopilot has.

Am i wrong or right or can you explain.

If i am using the compass vs the gps most of the time --- for the purpose of this thread and saving money why buy one with ipilot

PS all that bullsht is fine -- but remember sometimes changing it up (boat gets off course) -- and surprise surprise you find a big ole eyeball.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
can somebody correct me if i am wrong ---my terrova is an ipilot- so when i am in windy conditions -- i push down the button to go in a straight line -- if i hold onto the button the compass portion takes over (not gps). If i push the button quickly then its on gps. gps works fine in low wind but the per the compass works better in high wind -- the compass is what every autopilot has.

Am i wrong or right or can you explain.

If i am using the compass vs the gps most of the time --- for the purpose of this thread and saving money why buy one with ipilot

PS all that bullsht is fine -- but remember sometimes changing it up (boat gets off course) -- and surprise surprise you find a big ole eyeball.

I believe that's correct. I've never noticed much of a difference in performance between the two.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
auto pilot and spot lock are sub par on all terrovas until the newest edition

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
so without ipilot you don't have spotlock or a the remote correct?

I feel like a moron with all this stuff 12-15 years ago I was on top of everything fishing but when the kids were lil we just kinda went away from it except run out anchor and slip bobber, now the 2 oldest are going on 12 and 14 and they wanna fish like everyone else lol

I was wrong. It's a 24v power drive with co pilot installed. I have no idea on the thrust.

- - - Updated - - -

This truth lead me to a new terrova within 10 minutes of running my new boat.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think alot of the auto pilot issues - -that i had were related to not holding the button down long enough. I cant believe that they dont use the gps portion of it vs the compass--- it should point a arrow and go. Minn kota has never impressed me through the years. The only reason i have one now is because the manufacturer rigged it for pics and it was on the boat when i bought it.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think alot of the auto pilot issues - -that i had were related to not holding the button down long enough. I cant believe that they dont use the gps portion of it vs the compass--- it should point a arrow and go. Minn kota has never impressed me through the years. The only reason i have one now is because the manufacturer rigged it for pics and it was on the boat when i bought it.

Pointing the arrow and going....... isn't that called auto pilot? Runs off gps... the new minnkota Just point the motor head or Humminbird cursor in the direction you want to travel, hit a button, and your boat will stay on that course while your motor corrects for wind, waves, and current. If it was just a compass you wouldn't get the other corrections your boat needed to stay on desired path, so that tells me it's run off gps

Last edited:

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are 2 autopilot settings on the newer ones... the "legacy" autopilot sets a point at a certain heading and corrects to that line giving you a smooth path toward it... the "newer" autopilot sets up a group of points to hit, say 100' apart, then steers toward the closest point until it reaches it, then steers to the next...

the problem with the new system (to me) is that you will end up making a bunch of linked u shaped trails if being pushed by a side wind as the system corrects to hit the predetermined 100' point b4 it is past it and goes on to the next 1... hard to explain, but imagine going straight east with a north wind... the wind will naturally push you south through your path... to hit that predetermined "point", you may end up going almost straight north when you get close to that "point" to achieve that location, then head for the next point... when that point is achieved, the process just starts over again...

on my new boat the remote is set up differently than the older ones - on the last 1 i had, you just had to hold the button for an extra second to go into legacy mode... on the new 1, i figured out last weekend that you have to go into the settings and set it to "legacy"... for me, the legacy works WAY better... i think the new 1 is called "advanced autopilot", but it doesn't work well in the wind imo...

there used to b a video on it on the minn kota site - maybe still is...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80