in reach explorer +

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any one use one of these? Thinking of getting one to keep in contact with home with the sat texting and using it as a back up gps for my phone if it shits the bed . Also for the SARS function if shit would go south. It will blue tooth off the phone to text home or the unit can text its self. From all the reviews seems like it is a pretty good unit. Just wondering if any one has any real life experience.

- - - Updated - - -

8987_38115_v1.jpg

this is the unit

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not but I started a thread on the long range hunting forums and all the reviews I received there were positive. Thinking of picking one up myself.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After several years spending over $300 a year renting sat phones, I finally picked one up. I wish i did it sooner. The iridium network covers all of north america and this device will still allow you to communicate in overcast conditions (iridium sat phones are an exercise in patience during anything except ultra clear conditions). Preset messages are included in the basic plan at no extra costs so its easy to send a simple safe at camp text each night. You can also set it up to include a link to your position within each text.

We set ours to send a location point to my Garmin account every hour. That way if you fall, are attacked by a bear, etc. and cannot hit the SOS, they will still be able to find your vicinity. Also, my wife can check the account and if she hasn't received a safe at camp message for 48 hours and my location hasn't moved, she can call in my location. It's also fun to track your daily progress once the trip is over. The mapping leaves something to desire, but it's an emergency device designed to find way points for camp and water; not strategically pick apart a topo map to find a hiking path.

I don't like that it doesn't have an interchangeable battery. But, there are lightweight battery packs that will charge the device and a phone if you're on a short trip (3-5 days). A solar panel is necessary if you use it for longer than that. One battery will last about 10 days if you shut it off the majority of the day (no tracking) and only use it to maybe set a couple way points and send a text a day. If you only want to use it for texting and SOS, there is now a mini. I don't know anything in regards to the battery life on that thing but I know a couple guys that have already returned theirs and gone back to the explorer.

My buddy used the inreach on a hunt in the Wrangell's where I had a sat phone and he had constant contact while the sat phone only worked maybe 50% of the time. We had all types of weather on a 7 day hunt on Kodiak in February and the inreach worked flawless at all times. I believe in the device enough that I will be trusting it with my life in the northern Brooks for 16 days in two weeks. And that's about as remote as you can possibly get in the U.S.

To summarize: buy it!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using the delorme inreach for the last few years and really like it. I've never used the explorer.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels cards are burning a hole in my pocket for this exact purchase. After hunting the last 10 years in grizzly country, taking my old man with, and now having a wife/daughter of my own....it gives a guy (and family) peace of mind if it hits the fan. At least give you a fighting chance instead of sitting there waiting to die in the backcountry, never to be found.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using the Delorme Inreach for a few years. I assume the Explorer is very similar. I would say if you if you do much solo hunting in the badlands or hunt out west in the mountains, it is an absolute must have. Like schmaltz said, there are preset messages that you can send really quickly just to check in. One of the few negatives is if you want to type out a message, it is suuuuuuuuuuuuuper slow. Maybe they've somehow changed that with the Explorer and made it easier. Honestly though, it isn't meant for back and forth text messages; just more as a way to quickly communicate with the preset messages or use it in an emergency.

The plans are fairly cheap too. $20 or 25 yearly fee and then $15-60 or something like that a month, depending on how many messages you want to send and receive, other than your preset messages. I go with the cheapest option I just activate my plan for September-December when I'm going to be using it and then cancel it for the rest of the year.

One thing though, make damn sure you don't pocket dial an SOS. Ask me how I know. Just happened to pull it out of my pocket with the screen blinking SOS and about half a dozen messages asking me if it was a real emergency. Afterwards, I called them and they said if you don't respond, they send out search and rescue or whoever in case you hit the button and then passed out....

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can bluetooth to your phone to text faster and look at better maps.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I like the fact the explorer can blue tooth and has a good topo map now. Looks like an order is going in

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt, you wont be disappointed.

I have had the Delorme Inreach for 4 or 5 years now and have never had an issue. I've sent messages from Valdez to Deadhorse, in all kinds of weather, and it's always sent. Having it connected to your cellphone is slicker than snot.

I carry mine strapped to my bino harness on my chest...that way it's always with me.

pxocqtK.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another option for a more "cell phone" like satellite messenger.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76