Need help on map chips

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am looking for a new map chip for my helix 5 that I bought for my kayak and ice fishing. Looking to get a chip for ND, MN, MT, WY, and lake Winnipeg. I didn't realize but my old navionics north map SD chip will not work in my MSD slot. Is there a way to trade in this SD chip for a MSD chip? Am I able to update my old navionics chip with the new lake data?

Anyone have recommendations on which navionics chip to purchase? I have noticed some navionics chips for sale on eBay that people got free when buying a new depth finder. Are those worth using?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't have the answer yet because you need a mini-SD card and not the regular sized one. I believe they have proprietary data on those chips and the cannot be transferred to other cards, so you'll have to buy another mini-SD to fit into the Helix.

If you're forced to go that route I would just go with LakeMaster chip that were produced specifically for the Hummingbird electronics. I did happen to find one locally from a guy at Minot AFB who was moving overseas and picked it up for $60.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure on your questions about updates (but I doubt it). The lakemaster chips are quite good though.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I finally found what I am looking for. I guess you can buy a Navionics Updates chip and you can get Navionics + for the whole USA and CAN for only $99. Many different older map chips qualify for this update. I will now be able to get the update card in a micro SD and still have the older Navionics hot maps premium card for other units. I will let you know how this goes and report back.

I would get the lake master chip but each one is only good for a handful of states.

cfsfan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone run the C-Map Insight on their HDS? I'm over Navionics and looking at getting c-map but don't really feel like spending the money if its gonna be like Navi.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go lake master route, winnipeg is going to be the tough one in your list (navionics has it mapped but it's not great) you will need the "dakota's" map card (nd, sd, and nebraska), minnesota has at least 2 different chips, LOW has it's own i know, not sure if MT and WY are together but possibly, i have not looked into that map yet

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76