e collar recommendations?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
After about 15 yrs, I am in the market for a new e collar so am interested in what your recommendations may be.
I currently have a Sport dog Sporthunter 1200 and a Dogtra 200 NCP Gold.. both are about 15yrs old. Back when I had 2 dogs.
The Sport dog has a charger for the collar unit while the transmitter has a 9volt. I don't use anymore.
My dogtra which I prefer and currently use..the charger can charge both the transmitter and the collar but is not holding a charge as long as it used to(not sure if it is on or not)..thus the reason I am updating...
I like the stimulation/vibrate function of the dogtra and my new one will have to have that feature.
I am down to one dog so having multiple dog function is not important.
I have a English Springer(3 yr old). I don't let her get too far in front of me(50 yrd tops) so gps isn't a must have feature. If she gets on a bird in a shelterbelt for example, I usually speed my slow arse up rather than nic ing her back as I know she is on a bird and if I want to join in on the party I best get my butt up to the action.
I really don't use the nic function much at all. I use the vibrate function more often. I am not looking to buy the next greatest sparkly e collar. Just a basic "maintenance" type e collar which I can charge both the transmitter and collar and one that has a vibrate function. I don't need a "hey it will reach out a mile or more" unit.

I hunt primarily roosters and grouse

Last edited:

dschaible

Established Member
You could also probably buy new batteries, rip the unit open and see if you can find a match on the interwebs. I had to do that last year for the Sport Dog, it was $8.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can always mail in the dogtra unit and they will replace the batteries- i dont remember what the cost is

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got one of sport dog collars. Both the collar and remote use the same charger. I believe I have mine set to beep, nic or shock. I know it has the vibrate function but not sure if it can be set to do that and beep at the same time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70