Ag question regarding wetland

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Q where I camp some new guy bought property to the back of us. A pheasant and several waterfowl have been living in a slough hillole they hayed the property and this wknd hayed the slough. Is that legal and it looked like they hit rocks etc (hard to hay it).

Cattails do they provide a good food?
I just looked back their a duck is walking around going wtf the rooty ckd out I told him go to the reservation.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cattails aren't the best. Probably being hayed in hopes of farming it next year. The big regulation of wetlands is draining them. Just because there's cattails, it doesn't mean it's a wetland.
A wetland needs: hydric soils (there's about 60 different ways to classify a soil as hydric. This occurs when the soil is saturated and lacks oxygen), hydric vegetation (there are 900+ plants) and ponded water (usually 10 days of the growing season and 3 of 5 years)

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not going to be farmed acommercial property. Thanks for info I have no insight.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Food value for ducks there is nothing, for a muskrat yes. They are great thermal value for deer and pheasants.

I have classified a lot of wetlands. Cattauks can indicate two things. A semi permanent under dry conditions, or a fen where high groundwater creates a fen, or on the case of water running out and downhill a hanging fen. Soils will identify where wetlands exist even when they are dry. Vegetation will also do that, but not as persistently as would. If there are cattails it's a wetland of some type. The local NRCS will have would maps to confirm. Fens ate the rarest wetland and many biologists don't realize they exist.

I am not familiar with regulations, but I am very familiar with the science.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75