AIM Weekend Walleye Series resumes play

Denny

Hi Guys and Gals

After a short break in the season, AIM will have 2 events in 2 weeks. The final Qualifier of the season is scheduled for Devils Lake August 12th out of Woodlands Resort.

Then, on August 24/25 the Mercury Marine State Championship will be at Indian Hills Resort on Lake Sakakawea for the teams that had entered 3 of the 4 qualifiers.

Get all the info on both events at www.aimfishing.com

Thank You North Dakota

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Something tells me there is going to be a shortage of husky jerks at scheels!!! Hopefully Rapala throws that kid a bone for the publicity!!

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the swim bladder hanging out of the mouth count for length or does it need to be stuffed back in?:;:stirthepot

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the swim bladder hanging out of the mouth count for length or does it need to be stuffed back in?:;:stirthepot
that was my exact thought on this format on the big lake in late summer big fish pulled up deep your hardly saving them as they claim unless every boat entered uses something to get the fish back down quick to equalize pressure. ive even read enough where fizzing doesn't do much either.

I don't give 2 shits one way or another but think its funny that the same people pointing fingers and bashing people for keeping big fish are fishing these tourneys and in the end prolly killing more fish than the avg guy.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^ I was just thinking about this and glad somebody brought it up. Fishing out of Indian Hills in late Aug is going to mean generally deep fish. In my fishing experience, once walleye are being pulled out of about 35' or deeper you cant release them. What are AIMS regulations for fish coming out of 35,40,45 ft of water in late summer?

Also what are the regulations for gut/gill hooked fish? I just looked at the AIM website and couldn't find any rules about fish that aren't suitable for release.

PS: I'm not trying to be an ass, these are legitimate questions.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It is an interesting question. I am curious about possible solutions. I think many would agree that a catch and release format is attractive, and fishing tournaments are not going away any time soon.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lot's of fish die from stress this time of year. Especially from deep water. Slot limits like LOW with hundreds of downriggers everyday makes for a lot of floaters as well.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is an interesting question. I am curious about possible solutions. I think many would agree that a catch and release format is attractive, and fishing tournaments are not going away any time soon.

i posted a link to the solution above. It is the only thing research has shown has a high success rate. Fizzing is garbage, just makes people feel good they get to see the fish swim away before it dies.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was an AIM tournament out of Akaska SD a few years ago in late summer, and there were reports of a lot of dead walleye floating around. One of the guides in the who was in the tournament called BS, and there was a little debate on FishingBuddy I think that was the site, could have been WalleyeCentral.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont think they needed to have the NWT - at the end of July -- IMO. The only thing it did is it helped out the GF with growing some perch out on the east dl.

Add some LM bass to the lake and make it interesting. Get rid of them damn white bass.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^ I was just thinking about this and glad somebody brought it up. Fishing out of Indian Hills in late Aug is going to mean generally deep fish. In my fishing experience, once walleye are being pulled out of about 35' or deeper you cant release them. What are AIMS regulations for fish coming out of 35,40,45 ft of water in late summer?

Also what are the regulations for gut/gill hooked fish? I just looked at the AIM website and couldn't find any rules about fish that aren't suitable for release.

PS: I'm not trying to be an ass, these are legitimate questions.

same with me. legitimate questions that need answers.

two solutions

A) don't hold AIM format tourneys or any catch and release tourneys this late in the year on sak
b) somehow require every boat to have a device that effectively lowers fish quickly back to depth to equalize pressure.

im not a person for more rules or regulations but in this case if your truly a catch and release tourney and truly care about the survival rate of your fish and the future, it needs to be looked at.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
My initial comment was made both in jest and seriousness as I wondered the same thing after the NWT last weekend. How many gut/gill hooked small fish or fish brought out of deep water were tossed back in and floated away because they weren't large enough to legally weigh or not large enough to be deemed weighable by the fisherman? I know this happens with every tourney (as well as with weekend anglers) at any time of year, but it has to be much worse this time of year on DL with the abundance of small fish that get caught this time of year vs earlier in the year. I by no means am against tourney fishing of any format as I participate in a few every year. Just not a fan of tossing back fish that you know dam well will die (my rose colored glasses see most weekenders/campers keeping these and eating them, much of it evidenced by visiting a cleaning station, rather than tossing back a dead fish).

I think it's a good discussion.

Edit/Addition: This probably isn't the best place for this topic to be talked about as I wasn't trying to hijack the AIM advertising or single them out- maybe could be moved to a different spot??

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Edit/Addition: This probably isn't the best place for this topic to be talked about as I wasn't trying to hijack the AIM advertising or single them out- maybe could be moved to a different spot??

If they are willing to advertise on a public forum, they should be willing to address legitimate questions about the format on a public forum..

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
While we're on this what about those damn pelicans and cormorants they have increased significantly. :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70