jigging raps

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't made it up to the big lake yet, and I have never fished a jigging rap in open water. I am interested it trying this method at some point. What size jigging raps do you guys use for the big lake and such. I think I only own one or two for ice fishing and need to pick some up and have what is needed to try this if conditions present themselves for this method. Any colors to stick toward, I hardly ever fish deep water but may have if I get to SAK in a couple weeks. Unfortunately I will not make the Warriors on the Water, have to do the work thingy. Thanks for any help and advise in getting set up for this method dukgnfsn

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my jigging raps are #7 (5/8" oz). Gets to the bottom pretty quickly. Usually use them where the bottom is clean (gravel points, mud flats). If there are any weeds you snag them in hurry.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20180421_143918.jpg

Any of these colors work good.... perch color and white have been working good lately

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some and haven't caught anything on them yet. However, Al Lindner says they are the next best thing so they must be. I just don't know how to use them I guess.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't forget about your shiver minnows.... they work good also, for shiver minnows and jig rap I just cruise around until I mark fish and throw the boat in reverse, hit the spot lock make a cast or drop the lure out the back of the boat and start workin it back to the boat bouncing it off the bottom on the way back

dschaible

Established Member
#9's and color for the most part doesn't seem to matter, reaction bite. There are a lot of different ways to work them snap 1-2 ft unassisted drop, snap 1-2ft assisted drop to bottom. snap 2-4 ft unassisted/assisted drop. quip snap, easy snap. Double snap snap/ walking the dog. Trolling at .5 and snapping. Always make bottom contact when casting/trolling thats when the fish smother the bait.

Half the time the fish throws the hook on the way up and the other half of the time they throw it in the net, constant pressure and a quick net is key.

Make sure to have a stiff leader i used 25lb paddlefishing mono (probably overkill but its what i have), swivel, to fireline or your hooks will get all twisted up in your fireline when snapping more aggressively.

Mono apparently has a better catch % cause there is more give but i refuse to have mono on a reel.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picked up a couple snap raps last weekend and will be getting some jiggin' raps, 5/8oz, on Friday. Pitching and retrieving jigs has grown into my favorite style of fishing, so i'm sure i'll work these until i figure it out....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a couple snap raps last weekend and will be getting some jiggin' raps, 5/8oz, on Friday. Pitching and retrieving jigs has grown into my favorite style of fishing, so i'm sure i'll work these until i figure it out....

Snap raps are junk IMO.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some and haven't caught anything on them yet. However, Al Lindner says they are the next best thing so they must be. I just don't know how to use them I guess.

Welcome to 2018, time traveler from 2005!

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I was talking to someone the other day that uses these and he said they cut the front hook off. I didn't ask why at the time. Has anyone heard of this?

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Mike, you get up to Garrison much? You and I need to talk about relieving you from some of those snootys one of these days.

I have 2 rods set up when I am jig rapping, One mono, one with Suffix nano braid. Both 6'7" or 6'9" med fast rods. I always run a small 50# swivel that will fit through the tip eye with a 4-6' flouro leader, usually 10# or 12# test. I also run a small size 0 crankbait snap to impart more action. Mainly size #9 but do have some 7's. You can actually troll the #9 up to about .6 or .7mph
I usually start with the mono but if I am missing bites, I will switch to braid. It seems like the deeper you push them, the mono will stretch too much and you will miss the bite, so that's where the braid makes up for it, but there are days when the mono makes the difference that deep as well with the softer strikes. Definitely don't be afraid to flip them around.
Sak is almost always some sort of Perch/Purpledescent/White this time of year.
Good luck! They were absolutely deadly after august 1st up until nov 1st last year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74