So anyone going after them tomorrow

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is anyone going to hit them tomorrow with a bust hatch and midweek opener? Seen a few small flocks of less then 50 or so but they have been just coincidental encounters as I was not looking for them but should definitely have seen more in the area I was in. Picking chokecherrys right now in the area where there might be some flying by so I might just strap a gun to my back but that's about as much as I'll probably do until some new birds come down or I accidentally stumble across something good enough to fool me into thinking that it might actually be worth a try.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between the heat, the walleyes still
biting, the salmon starting to crank it up, the sconis raping every 13 bird flock........ ill stick with a cold beer and rod in my hand. Let the sconis fight over unpredictable, short stopping geese on no wind august mornings and beat their chest like we all give a damn they killed 14 leather meat geese..... im old enough now to enjoy eating what i kill..... early goose......pass from this guy

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between the heat, the walleyes still
biting, the salmon starting to crank it up, the sconis raping every 13 bird flock........ ill stick with a cold beer and rod in my hand. Let the sconis fight over unpredictable, short stopping geese on no wind august mornings and beat their chest like we all give a damn they killed 14 leather meat geese..... im old enough now to enjoy eating what i kill..... early goose......pass from this guy

May the 'Sconi's be blessed with abundant mosquitos, uncooperative geese, hidden poison Ivy, 90+ temps, and hordes of rabid and aggressive piss-kitties.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely be fun to set up on a sandbar like a group of fishermen. Damn thing would never see it coming,

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
To hot, to many bugs, the fall bite hasn't even started yet, and just plain too much other more productive stuff to do. Maybe in Sept. after my tirty pointer is on the ground.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going Thur,Fri,Sat out west.Seen some pretty good fields,the hatch was spotty but still some around.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With this heat they would rot before they hit the ground.;:;barf

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, let the NR's have the yolk-beaks. I'll wait. Like every year. Last year I went right after my son's birthday Sept. 3. It was blisfully quiet. No competition. Almost no trucks. Few mosquitoes. And way more geese than weeks prior.

This year I see the G&F messed with the seasons, and our early season goes right into the regular resident season opener. So I might just get some good molt migrator action weekend of the 8th and 15th, followed up by duck scouting for Sept. 22. Best of both worlds!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a spot tonight wild berry picking that had several hundred geese in it sitting fairly tight. Big thing is that they were only about a mile and a half off the roost pretty much nothing between them on the roast and the field other than 100 foot elevation change on a cliff with some tree belt around it. Need to be in the area in the morning anyways for picking berries so it might try and turn into a little bit of a pass shoot might as well see if we put one or two in the dirt. I've heard of cast and blast before but I've never heard of birds and berries but we'll hell sounds like something fun to try.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
As for berries right now mainly choke cherries and wild plums. As for the birds 95% of the flocks went just to the left or the right but did get two flocks to come by decently with one being 40 yard eye level crossing right to left. Only could two shots off a those but connected on both. Sat back passing maybe flocks due to being only a few hundred yards or the roast and about the same as the field so didn't want.to blow the area up. Switched to a new spot and got.one flock to come over about 10 yards over the corn I was standing in. Smoked two for two but then the second shell jammed so had to do a quick shuck to free it up and fire. His reaction to the shot was quite odd he did two sold wing beats like nothing was wrong then with that just rolled over and died. So five for five and managing to not blow either the roost or the field and most birds never knew I was there so might get to do it twice. Side note if I had sat on my tailgate and could have damn near taken a limit.

20180816_081712.jpg

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Funny you guys are talking about this today this today. I was going past the small lake down by the Prescott VA and saw 300 or so Canada geese in the grass on the bank and was wondering if the season was open or not.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Driving to pour some concrete with a buddy yesterday, I saw 3 trucks with decoys in the back, parked at fields about 10am, watching 5-7 birds in the fields. NOT 50 to 70 birds, but ONE family group in each field. All I thought was WOW!! Now that's dedication or desperation I haven't figured out which.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70