Goose Loads

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What have you guys found to be the best goose loads on canadians over decoys. I shot 3" 1's and bb's last year and man they just didn't seem to have much killing power. They were plain old steel shot. Winchester and Federals. Anybody use Hevi-Metal?

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lead works the best lol but if your a good shot heavy metal is worth the coin works very good just don't miss it's to expensive to shoot air with

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your shot choice is fine. If you were shooting Federal blue box or equivalent, they are just junk shells (I have had some success with pairing them with a Patternmaster but that is a matter of great debate). Try Kent, Federal red box, etc. or something nicer yet, Heavy Metal, etc.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Quite honestly I've had good success with Federal Black Cloud and I like either BB or BBB's. 3" 12 gauge but also know a guy who has no trouble killing big Canadas with his 20 ga. and about the best you can do with those is 3" 1 shot. Get them in close and you can kill them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what choke works best in this situation. stock chokes at first I guess. I do imagine patterning your loads is the best idea to see which ones pattern best.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive shot alot of waterfowl in my life. I have shot for many years and still shoot 3” 2s from big canadas to ducks. Its about shot density and placement. Follow up shots on poor hits are a must. Most guys that miss or cripple are shooting behind the bird. Every brand and gun model shoots better with different brands of shells but so far none of mine have required 25$ a box shells. And 2’s are still all i shoot.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot blue box federal bb with pattern master choke. That combo probably does nothing but gives me a false sense of badass

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put up a 2' by 2' target. Back up 40 yards. Should be at least 34 pellet holes. If there isn't....get a Pattern Master.

3 inch BB Winchester or Fiocci. Buy 'em early for $12 a box of 25. A person might think that a sporting goods store would have them on sale at the end of the season but nope, they just stash shotgun shells away.

I shoot an old Benelli M1. It's beat but deadly.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 gauge baby! T's n F's in 3.5 inches shot out of 32" barrels ...side by side. Bought my ammo online by the case. Fastest ammo I've heard of.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Federal blue box 3 inch 2 shot or BB(depends which is cheaper on rogers sporting goods) and a patternmaster has been my go to combo for 3 seasons now. I have seen no advantage with the more expensive ammo when shooting birds inside 40 yards

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let the birds get in close and the shells/choke/guage won't matter. In the years I've been goose hunting I've come to the conclusion that it isn't the "arrows" being shot, it's the "indian" doing the shooting. Shells don't make up for poor shooting or calling the shots too early/late. Let's be honest, guys bitch about sky busters, but when you've been laying in that blind since before dawn and that flock flares at 60 yards, most guys come up blasting away at rapidly departing targets and then blame the shells for not knocking 12 lb heavily armored honkers out of the sky. I shoot blue box federal and Fiochi BB's at 1550 fps out of a standard modified choke and have NO TROUBLE knocking the snot out of honkers under 30 yards. Get out around 50 and it gets sketchy with both energy and pattern density and I find myself passing up those shots and then try to figure out why those geese flared in the first place. Usually, I can find an open spot on a blind, decoy snafu, or some other screw up that can be fixed so the next flock sets in the pocket nice and close. 'course that's just my opinion.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're exactly right. If you can deek em on top of you, it won't matter. Under 30 yards and my 20 gauge will work. Though where I hunt, if you decoy them, they won't come back there for a while. We do it, but I love having the range of my 10g. Pass shooting them is best to keep them around. One day I was shooting right beside a 3.5" 12g. Not sure what shells he was shooting but you could hear them bouncing off the geese. While my 10g brought em down. This was pass shooting. KDM is absolutely correct about shot selection and placement. Growing up shooting double barrels teaches shot selection, especially for grouse and pheasant.

Oh and dont worry about my shoulder lol. I'm a fat ex college wrestler, shooting just stretches me out a little.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like KDM said. " Its the Indian not the Arrow". Hey KDM I found six and a half boxes to steel shot for you that I will never use, Will bring them up someday when I get bored. LB

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 1/2 inch federal black clouds #2 shot size has been the most productive in my experience. but BB work also

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
in my opinion it is more about the pattern than the bb size... I changed to the black cloud choke tube, long range i believe it is called. It is a full choke, I use it for pheasants too. WARNING do not take a super close shot you will have nothing left to eat, I like shots in that 20-40 yards on geese.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
in my opinion it is more about the pattern than the bb size... I changed to the black cloud choke tube, long range i believe it is called. It is a full choke, I use it for pheasants too. WARNING do not take a super close shot you will have nothing left to eat, I like shots in that 20-40 yards on geese.

I have to agree with the extended/long range chokes are a bit overkill for anything under 20 yards. Have got a few birds at less than 10-15 yards with my patternmaster "code black goose" and there is not much edible meat left on anything.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70