pike populations...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
the past couple of years fishing on devils and western sak have seemed to really change... we hooked up on 1 pike at van hook 2 weeks ago, and haven't seen a single 1 other than that all year... last year seemed down to me, but this year is really down...

i'm fishing the same old water the same old ways, but the water is way up out west and down on devils so maybe that has something to do with it...

i'm not complaining, just kinda scratching my head... anyone else noticing this???

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
More people spearing ? Have noticed that also in a lot of the lakes around Jmst

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught 14 northerns in 9 minutes while ice fishing and I broke off once and had to retie. I timed it cause it was one after another. This was devils lake. So I don't think so. Ha

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_7746.jpg
So I went to same spot the next day with the kids. We had 15 in a half hour.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
caught my northern limit every time I went this winter at devils, so I haven't seen it

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pike go deep. Took some out of 40 ft on devil's last weekend

- - - Updated - - -

Population will decrease with less water

- - - Updated - - -

White bass pop to high.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We talked about the same thing. Pike used to be a pest in the upper river until I gained an admiration for them. Then, they went away. Fish a lot from the hook west and have only caught a couple in the last few years.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a couple monsters pulling lead core in 40 ft in the hook last weekend also caught a few smaller ones on a jigging rap their out there but definitely not what they were a few years ago they go in cycles like every thing else walleye and perch are up so pike are down enjoy while it lasts I know I am

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wonder if the game and fish listened to the walleye fishermen bitch about the stocking levels and cut it ba - never mind...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When the world ends there will be a cockroach in the city, a coyote in the country and a pike in the lakes.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of pike still but I can tell you Sak pike can be really lazy. They are well fed and don't care to chase things unless they really have to. With the high water be prepared for another fish explosion(not just pike) like the spawning season of 2011.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I noticed this spearing on Sak the last couple years. I think it has to do with the high smelt populations and the pike are there, just deeper chasing smelts. This winter I plan on doing some scouting with underwater cameras in some deeper water. Hoping to find some again and maybe try spearing over deep water.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love pike ! Pike pike pike all day long ! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️������pike

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
5Lb. Northern caught in cold water, good eating, learn how to deal with the bones, when we were kids, the Northerns were just fried in chunks. Now alot of people think they are just junk fish, not here.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would eat pike all day long. I just hate the slime and the slime associated with cleaning them.

And my freezer is full of eyes.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Caught some pike in lake Irvine this summer when you could still get a boat in there (recommended to take your buddies boat). Most about 25-30 inches and so skinny you could just about get your hand around them. Not much fight in them either.. Walleyes looked better but found no food in any stomachs. That was about a month ago, water is way lower now. Alice and Irvine may be in trouble.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know two or three years ago I caught so damn many hammer handles that it would be hard to convince me the pike aren't around. I'm guessing they are liking the smelt, and if you targeted them you would find all you want.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75