That time of year again

TippinWingz

Welp...this is my PSA. A lot of people are going to take offense to this but oh well... This is the feeling from everyone around here that I know. This is directed to all non residents that don't have a clue.

#1 Leave them duck boats at home. Yeah yeah.... your favorite memory growing up was sittin on this little boat shooting ducks off of some slough back home... I get it. Just don't do that here... stay home. ND is so dry right now that any slough you will duck hunt is gunna be a roost and more times than not the waters hunted are roosts to some extent. You're here for 3 days and don't care... We get that... thats why you are hated on when you are in ND. When you shoot any of these waters the ducks get messed up and leave. That ruins everything for the residents.

#2 GET OFF THE ROAD! You, yeah you! When you do go put in your silly little boat or park and go walk to a slough to sit on the edge find an approach! Get off the road.... Don't get me wrong... some of the most fun i have is watching a farmer go get a tractor to move someones truck so they can get their combine and header through the road to get to the next field. Be nice to them... Hate this post if you must but that this away at the very least... Just get out of the farmers way. Even when you pass them... do more than just pull over a little bit. Pull into an approach and get out of the way. Means a lot to the farmers up here so they dont have to slow down and deal with you when they are in the middle of their busy time. Maybe he will remember what truck did that and you happen to pull into his yard later to ask for permission to hunt and he lets you cuz you did him a favor. You never know... these guys control your hunting a lot.

#3 Stop with the shady stuff. Last year we had a few different times where we pulled into the field and a truck was sitting out there and some of the posters we stuck in corners were "gone". They just so happened to only check those spots for posters and went in there. We even had a group drive through a ditch, up and over a set of RR tracks, down another ditch and into a field so they could say "we never saw a poster the way we came in". I'll tell ya what... I don't want to call that landowner at 4:30 am but I will. I will because I know how mad he is going to be. And it won't be at me since he told me to post it. He will be mad at you and it won't be pretty. I will even go out of the way to take pictures of that truck and send it to the surrounding farmers and let them know that his vehicle was doing shady stuff and they likely won't want you on their land either.

For the most part... ND resident farmers and duck hunters don't care for non-resident hunters and their BS. And its not everyone. I've seen and know a few guys from out of state that show up here with a trailer full of decoys, gas money, and buy a county PLAT map (that shows every piece of land, who owns it, and a phone number) and go put in the work that we all do too to hunt these ducks. THAT IS THE WAY TO DO IT. I have zero problem with these guys. I have a problem with the disrespectful, arrogant, shoeless people that show up here and ruin the weekend hunt for the rest of us because they snuck into somehwere that they shouldnt be, they busted the roost thats been building for 2 weeks and they guys from 10 miles around have been successfully shooting them out of the fields because they are safe at the roosts, or they pissed off some farmer so much that he went and posted every piece of land and won't let ANYONE hunt it anymore because he is mad.

Waterfowl hunting is like baseball. Tough, rewarding, and a grind. They both have some unwritten rules. If you were aware of any of the unwritten rules of ND waterfowl hunting... this was a little insight.

-TIP

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swear, field hunters are the musky fishermen of the waterfowl world. If they weren't so damn pushy about the "right" and "wrong" way to kill ducks and geese, more people would probably pay attention. But after 18 years of hearing the same tired argument, it's just white noise.

I wish I had the time and patience to field hunt regular season. When I was in college, that's all we did. But we skipped class and burned days on end scouting for field. I work 60 hours a week now, and when it comes to getting my almost-5-year old out for a morning of watching the birds and dogs work, I hit the water. Every time. It's relaxing. I don't have to kill myself knocking on doors and beating 10 trucks to the same spot. I just drive to my local WPA, set up in a cozy cove with a dozen decoys, break out the granola bars and snacks, and talk to my boy about whatever comes to mind. I can recall every single hunt I've been with him since his first in 2016, which was actually a field hunt for geese. But other than that single one, the best have been the ones I stress out about the least. A slough, sack of decoys, him and the dogs. Ducks are a bonus, and we often make an extra trip for breakfast or McDonalds or just down a dirt road to see the world wake up.

Sorry if I bust your roost. But if it's not too far off the beaten path and makes for a fun morning for me and my boy, well, tough shit. Mama and sister are waiting back home, and I don't have the time or energy to do it the "right way" any more.

TippinWingz

^^ Totally understand that and I don't have any problem with water hunting. Its just doing it in a better way. I'm sure when you take your boy out its on some cozy little back slough thats quiet. I'm talking about these huge roost sloughs that holds 10k ducks at night... I just don't understand the point of motoring out into the middle of them before light and busting it. There is nothing I want to see more than a kid getting to go out hunting. I'm directing my comments to the guys that show up with way too much water gear and go rip the biggests roosts they can find. It happens. Not every water hunter is a bad guy... just some guys give the rest a bad name.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Welp...this is my PSA. A lot of people are going to take offense to this but oh well... This is the feeling from everyone around here that I know. This is directed to all non residents that don't have a clue.

#1 Leave them duck boats at home. Yeah yeah.... your favorite memory growing up was sittin on this little boat shooting ducks off of some slough back home... I get it. Just don't do that here... stay home. ND is so dry right now that any slough you will duck hunt is gunna be a roost and more times than not the waters hunted are roosts to some extent. You're here for 3 days and don't care... We get that... thats why you are hated on when you are in ND. When you shoot any of these waters the ducks get messed up and leave. That ruins everything for the residents.

#2 GET OFF THE ROAD! You, yeah you! When you do go put in your silly little boat or park and go walk to a slough to sit on the edge find an approach! Get off the road.... Don't get me wrong... some of the most fun i have is watching a farmer go get a tractor to move someones truck so they can get their combine and header through the road to get to the next field. Be nice to them... Hate this post if you must but that this away at the very least... Just get out of the farmers way. Even when you pass them... do more than just pull over a little bit. Pull into an approach and get out of the way. Means a lot to the farmers up here so they dont have to slow down and deal with you when they are in the middle of their busy time. Maybe he will remember what truck did that and you happen to pull into his yard later to ask for permission to hunt and he lets you cuz you did him a favor. You never know... these guys control your hunting a lot.

#3 Stop with the shady stuff. Last year we had a few different times where we pulled into the field and a truck was sitting out there and some of the posters we stuck in corners were "gone". They just so happened to only check those spots for posters and went in there. We even had a group drive through a ditch, up and over a set of RR tracks, down another ditch and into a field so they could say "we never saw a poster the way we came in". I'll tell ya what... I don't want to call that landowner at 4:30 am but I will. I will because I know how mad he is going to be. And it won't be at me since he told me to post it. He will be mad at you and it won't be pretty. I will even go out of the way to take pictures of that truck and send it to the surrounding farmers and let them know that his vehicle was doing shady stuff and they likely won't want you on their land either.

For the most part... ND resident farmers and duck hunters don't care for non-resident hunters and their BS. And its not everyone. I've seen and know a few guys from out of state that show up here with a trailer full of decoys, gas money, and buy a county PLAT map (that shows every piece of land, who owns it, and a phone number) and go put in the work that we all do too to hunt these ducks. THAT IS THE WAY TO DO IT. I have zero problem with these guys. I have a problem with the disrespectful, arrogant, shoeless people that show up here and ruin the weekend hunt for the rest of us because they snuck into somehwere that they shouldnt be, they busted the roost thats been building for 2 weeks and they guys from 10 miles around have been successfully shooting them out of the fields because they are safe at the roosts, or they pissed off some farmer so much that he went and posted every piece of land and won't let ANYONE hunt it anymore because he is mad.

Waterfowl hunting is like baseball. Tough, rewarding, and a grind. They both have some unwritten rules. If you were aware of any of the unwritten rules of ND waterfowl hunting... this was a little insight.

-TIP

You are preaching to the choir on this site. Not many non resident Waterfowl ers come on this site to contribute. I’m pretty sure the downfall of nodak outdoors was due to ragging on non residents.

I do think hunting water during early goose should be outlawed but I don’t have a problem during the normal season. I have also had a ton of hunts ruined by jump shooters and roost busting non residents but it comes with the nature of hunting.

I really do not feel bad for you about the trespassers. You should have called the game warden to report them and that’s the only way to teach them a lesson

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
#4 The sooner you realize and accept the fact that there are people who choose to hunt differently than you do, the more enjoyable your season will be.
Hunting water is 100% legal. Deal with it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Musky fishermen these fuckers are the fly fisherman of the hunting world if they could catch and release ducks while giving them self a reach around they would

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member

-TIP

You have 5 posts and live in the posted capital of N.D. Give it a rest.

You have posted land to hunt on so go hunt your posted land. If someone is hunting a slough it does not bother me one bit. Grow up

You must be about 23 yrs old and a entitled little snot. Again grow up

I really dislike people who bash nonresidents,I'm one. I was a resident for 50 yrs and life change moved me to MN. I would guess everyone on here goes out of state to hunt or fish,maybe snowmobile or ride there motorcycles. Your using other states natural resources. But when someone comes into your state you get all personal.

Nonresidents have just as much right as residents. The state of N.D. says so. Get use to it.

Last edited:

TippinWingz

^^ Oh fuck did I rattle you bud? closer to 30 chief. You must be built outa spare parts since you are missing my point about roost busting not all water hunting. The land I hunt on doesn't come free... I stop and help change parts, move trucks, run cart, call before i go scouting to see if any of these guys need something from town. Grow up he says... figure it out. You're 10 ply bud. How many times you pull your own horn today bud??? -- Oh come on kitten I won't tell no one. Ball park 6-8? You're a fucking animal.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't duck hunt much. When I do I like how fast scaup fly and I have never had one try land in my goose decoys in a field. So that leaves mostly large water. My favorite duck hunts were with the kids. A half dozen decoys and sitting in a hawthorn patch on the banks of the Sheyenne River. Ducks don't notice smoke I guess because in that hawthorn patch we cooked ducks we were shooting while we hunted. One of the funniest things was one of my boys trying to blow out three scaup that caught fire. He and my hunting friend in those days are both gone now, but I will never forget it. That was in our camp on East Devils Lake. Hunting is about enjoyment not how much you can kill or if you can kill more than the other guy.

I doubt more than 10% of the duck hunters can distinguish between a roost and a feed on a chironomidae emergent or some other plentiful resource. Often these emergents last two or three days and people think someone shot out the roost. Often one will see an empty wetland during noon, then in the evening find hundreds of birds. Different aquatic macroinvertebrates emerge or are active during different times of day or night. Hunting a wetland with decoys isn't the same as roost busting. When you find large flocks of males in eclipse on a wetland that staging area is likely to be a real roost later on.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Musky fishermen these fuckers are the fly fisherman of the hunting world if they could catch and release ducks while giving them self a reach around they would
Watch it fella

- - - Updated - - -

^^ Oh fuck did I rattle you bud? closer to 30 chief. You must be built outa spare parts since you are missing my point about roost busting not all water hunting. The land I hunt on doesn't come free... I stop and help change parts, move trucks, run cart, call before i go scouting to see if any of these guys need something from town. Grow up he says... figure it out. You're 10 ply bud. How many times you pull your own horn today bud??? -- Oh come on kitten I won't tell no one. Ball park 6-8? You're a fucking animal.
I remember my first beer

nodaklivin

94a.jpg

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
No not at all, Just anal little punks like you that dont have a clue, kitten.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tip #5, Not all residents are arrogant pricks, you will have to find out which one are all by yourself

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tip #5, Not all residents are arrogant pricks, you will have to find out which one are all by yourself

#6 Usually the biggest dinks I've ran across while duck hunting have been resident 20 somethings.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Threads like this remind me why my excitement for waterfowl season is about 1% of what it was 15 years ago.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76