Off Season Storage

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a good recommendation for off-season storage for boats around FM? I'm going to winterize the Alumacraft Classic Deluxe soon and then park her for hibernation so I can park in my garage this winter. Screw scraping my windshield for six months!

I don't have a cover, so it'll be just hanging out there somewheres. I'd prefer not to find it parted out or full of mice upon my return in the spring, but otherwise I'm open to options.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
To keep mice out, bleach and/or a strong cleaner/de-greaser like Simple Green to clean the floor and all of the storage compartments. Next, get everything dry. Dry, dry, dry!! Remove anything fabric. Soft tackle boxes, rod sleeves, life jackets, boat-brake (parachute), also remove anything made of paper/cardboard. Obviously food and crumbs need to be removed as well.

Get all of that done, assuming some sort of inside storage, your biggest worry will be bird droppings.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure there is no rope, tarp straps or anything else hangin down that a mouse can climb up , Even look at your transducer wires and I leave the plug in. I know they are good climbers but I don't know that they can climb in a boat without something to grab on to. My old lund had been stored inside with the cover on and they climbed the tarp straps and ate their way in. Wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's this offseason thing of which you speak?

Sorry, if you were in the Bis area, I'd be able to help you out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have seen those cute little field mice jump 3ft straight up, Where there is a will there is a way.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Add to what has already been mentioned. Can fresh moth balls local cab fresh stuff I placed stickys around tires plug ins

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
To answer some questions, yes, Fargo area. I certainly don't mind traveling a ways to a reputable storage facility.

My dad's boat had mice in it one year and they virtually destroyed it. It took gallons of cleaning product and baking soda to get the stains out, and to this day you still catch the stink of mice piss. Nasty ass animals.

I'll definitely be putting moth balls and sticky traps down, regardless.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're worried about rodents, find a storage place that has a cat or two around. Outdoor cats are killing machines.

I know everyone hates cats, but they have their usefulness.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No to the cats had a cat have kittens under the tarp in my boat, cat pics and a dead kitten, along with bird feathers and bones was not fun

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you tried lakes country around FM? on the M side there are several storage options within 45 minutes of the FM area.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Storage options are pretty prevalent around that area, especially in MN. Most boat/rv dealers do storage now, either inside or shrink wrapped outside.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69