1/10 the price of power pro, same product, maybe better.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've recently tried these off brand lines, and as far as I can tell, they're as good, if not better than the name brand stuff for 1/10 the price. It's available in waaaay more options as far as color, length, and lb test. An 1100 yard spool runs about 20 bucks w/free shipping on eBay or Amazon.

I haven't abused it yet, but I'ma put it to the test in salt and freshwater this fall and report back.

IMG_20180901_214711213.jpg

IMG_20180901_215403405.jpg

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1000M-1094Yds-6lb-100lb-Hercules-PE-Dyneema-braid-Fishing-Line-Spectra-4-Strands/142593109219?hash=item2133362ce3%3Am%3AmI1NzRUOYORMVWzDbDbZmaw%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass%2158703%21US%21-1&var=441571524766

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I held off, I saw you mentioned it a while back and couldn't find the kastking for the price you mentioned. It's there now.

- - - Updated - - -

That's dirt cheap compared to some of the other line I've bought.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried a spool of the KastkKing Fortis in 15 lb rated yellow, mainly for its smaller diameter per stated pound test. I thought it started to fade fairly quickly and actual break/knot strength was about the same as 8 to 10 lb stated pound test PowerPro. I still have it spooled on reel and will continue to use it keeping breaking strength in mind...

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I like the Hercules better so far, but still too early to tell.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

I kind of doubt that a man that spends as much time, money, and effort traveling to far flung locations pursuing every fish known to man like MSA does would use a substandard line which would cause him to LOSE fish instead of catch'em. Just Sayin'!!! I'm going to give these lines a strong looksy. Thanks MSA!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been running j-braid for the last couple years paddle fishing and have been very happy with it. It’s about 1/4 price of PP.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watching some YouTube videos comparing the lines strength seams ok but it's said the cheaper line has a strange odor you think that might effect fishing

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Odor or color doesn't bother me since I always use fluro or mono leaders. But so far I haven't noticed any odor. Today was my first day with it on a jigging rod. I used the 15lb fluorescent orange Hercules braid. Got a few walleyes, one was 8-9lbs, maybe 6 carp, a few cats, 4-5 boulders, and a salmon spit my hook after a 10 second fight. I'd say is slicker than powerpro, I noticed a little bit less drag on my guides, smooth casting, but made me tie my uni knots to my leaders extra tight, no wind knots yet, so far so good.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure on the difference, but it also comes in 8 strand for more money. I checked Power pro and it's 4 strand. The Hercules and Kastking I ordered is also 4 strand.

Last edited:

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regular Power Pro listed 15 lb test is listed as 0.19 mm in diameter. I see the Hercules listed 15 pound test 4 strand is listed as 0.16 mm in diameter. Kastking Fortis listed 15 pound test is listed as .0.14 mm diameter as is KastKing SuperPower. Power Pro listed 8 pound test is listed as 0.13 mm in diameter and Power Pro listed 10 lb test is listed as 0.15 mm in diameter... Doesn't look like you can really get the KastKing Fortis on Amazon anymore....

MSA, how do you find the break/knot strength of the Hercules as compared to Power Pro or is it still to early to tell?

Kickemup, is that the 4 strand J-braid or the 8 strand J-braid you are referring to?

Established Member
maybe it smells because its toxic, foreign manufacturing outside US its could have anything in it,
Watching some YouTube videos comparing the lines strength seams ok but it's said the cheaper line has a strange odor you think that might effect fishing

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe it smells because its toxic, foreign manufacturing outside US its could have anything in it,

From what I read on other forums, those dyneema lines are all made in the same foreign factory.

- - - Updated - - -

Knot strength is gonna be hard to tell for me because I run mono or fluro leaders that are a pound test or so less than my main line. I'll abuse the piss out of it in Florida soon on some stuff that makes spinning gear smoke.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess if it says dyneema on the package it's made in the Japan factory, if it says Spectre it's made at the Honeywell factory.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some saltwater guy's opinions.
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/#/topics/902322?page=1

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of all the things I spend money on for fishing, I am pretty sure line itself is less than 1% of my yearly expenses. Not knocking MSA's experience at all, I'm just not an easy sell to go away from PP for such a small part of my angling budget.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regular Power Pro listed 15 lb test is listed as 0.19 mm in diameter. I see the Hercules listed 15 pound test 4 strand is listed as 0.16 mm in diameter. Kastking Fortis listed 15 pound test is listed as .0.14 mm diameter as is KastKing SuperPower. Power Pro listed 8 pound test is listed as 0.13 mm in diameter and Power Pro listed 10 lb test is listed as 0.15 mm in diameter... Doesn't look like you can really get the KastKing Fortis on Amazon anymore....

MSA, how do you find the break/knot strength of the Hercules as compared to Power Pro or is it still to early to tell?

Kickemup, is that the 4 strand J-braid or the 8 strand J-braid you are referring to?

The j-braid is 8 strand that I’m using.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Powerpro is made in America . I don’t use enough to go with a cheap knockoff.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is it, if it's cheaper it's a knock off or imitation. Some of these lines have been around as long or longer than PP. But somehow if it's used by some pros, over advertised, and stamped made in america, youre happy to pay ten times more for it and then label everything else a cheap knock off simply because those other companies don't need to cover a billion dollar marketing budget.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its all in the name of marketing, which company wants to spend the most at getting your attention and dollar, in my opinion, If your fav man crush fisherman is say jason mitchell and he's pushing zzz brand fishing line feeds you all the hype on his show about the line, you run out and buy it, just because jason mitchell says its good line. Then you have QQQ brand line just gets their foot in the door convincing some small outdoor store to put it on its shelf for half the price of zzz line, and everybody thinks its junk because they don't advertise it.
But every brand has its pros and cons.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76