Watch Your Dog...

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey guys, hope everyone had a good Labor Day weekend. My son and I had some luck shooting Prairie Chickens last night, however, we nearly had a terrible incident. We only only hunted two hours in the evening and even though the temperature was fairly cool (70ish), the humidity was terribly high. Not sure what weather you guys are experiencing up in ND, but my young shorthair nearly had some kind of heat related catastrophe. Maybe heat exhaustion or heat stroke? She fetched a bird then just laid down in the grass panting heavily. After maybe a minute she got up but was wobbly. Carried her a ways, but wasn't sure if my body heat was hurting more than just having her walk, anyway she wanted down after a couple minutes but was still wobbly. We knew there was a pond fairly close so headed that way. She laid down in the water and we splashed water all over her. Took probably 20 minutes to get her to quit breathing so heavily. In the end it all worked out, but I knew of a guy that lost a dog in an early season hunt, and I never want to experience something like that again. I've tried carrying a bottle and squirting it in their mouths, but didn't seem like they liked it. Maybe last night she would have taken it so I should just carry it on me. Anyway, just thought I would put up a reminder post for you dog owners to watch your four legged hunting partners so you don't have something like this happen to you. Shoot straight!
IMG_1945.jpg

campchef

Honored Member
I had a pup that was hypoglycemic. would hunt all day but then the back legs would give out and she would go down. Once I realized the problem I carried a bottle of honey and some dog biscuits with plenty of water to give her an energy shock throughout the day. I kept her for 14 years. Take care of your dogs and they will take care of you.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen a candy bar save the day more than once with those symptoms. 70 degrees is fine if your dog is in prime condition . Most aren't. The humidity is very tough on dogs. If you are hot the dogs are way more so.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty hesitant to hunt in warm weather; just seems like things could go wrong in a hurry. Not to mention most dogs aren't going to be in prime condition this time of year - but even if they are it doesn't mean they're immune. This story is a good reminder

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen a candy bar save the day more than once with those symptoms. 70 degrees is fine if your dog is in prime condition . Most aren't. The humidity is very tough on dogs. If you are hot the dogs are way more so.

Chocolate ? Or is that just a myth that dogs shouldn't eat it ?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my mothers vest has a water Blatter built in. I carry a canvis bowl that folds up and water in my game bag. some dogs will drink from a squirt bottle some wont.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda like riverview on this one, I had that happen once to a great companion and from then on I have a reasonably priced hydration pack in camo I picked up at Cabelas and a collapsible water bowl that tucks in it. Works great, easy to haul

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chocolate ? Or is that just a myth that dogs shouldn't eat it ?

Dark chocolate is supposed to be bad for them. I had a shorthair that ate an entire case of solid milk chocolate bars. Didn't hurt him at all.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look, chocolate is hard on your dog's liver. Just because they didn't die from the last time they ate chocolate it doesn't mean you aren't killing their liver.

I think many of us have had a close call with a dog in the heat. I watched a lab die after overheating on a very warm day while a friend and I shot clays. Stupid lab kept trying to regtrieve them, and even though there was kiddy pool right there with us, he chose to not partake. By the time we recognized he was in trouble it was too late, my friend (a nurse) did every thing he could to save that dog...to include sneaking him into the hospital and giving him an IV. He died overnight as his organs just shut down.

I've also seen my GSPs get overheated while out beating the brush. I never, EVER, take a dog afield without water nowadays. Regardless of how warm it is outside. I'll put the hunt on hold and force feed them water if I have to.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Years ago on pheasant opener I had my chocolate lab go down just as you describe. Could hardly raise his head. A mile from the car but a half mile uphill from a stock pond. My son carried my shotgun and I threw the lab over my shoulders in a fireman’s carry and took off running for the stock pond, a BIG male lab, too! Dunno where I found the strength, sweating on a hot day. Stopped for a breather once and my son would raise the dogs head and announce that he wasn’t looking so good. I ran into the pond, laid him into the water, raised his head so he
wouldn't drown, and it was half hour before he could even drink water. He survived despite our stupidit6 and I’ve never gone hunting again without a good supply of water and electrolyte replacement.
You cant give your dog enough water, AND some electrolyte replacement in a hot hard working hunting environment.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it's that humid out or hot...swallow your pride and leave the dogs home. If not carry water and KEEP EYE ON THEM! I've heard enough stories over the years about dogs going down. Seems like most involved someone not really paying attention. If it's humid, we need to be very observant. I've also heard of a couple scenarios where hunters in early pheasant season see their dog going down and they rush them to a lake and throw them off dock. Dog then dies rather quick from shock in temp change. Need to cool underside of bellies and get water in them.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a good water bottle like the gatorade ones you can pick up at sporting good stores. Hold the dog by the collar and put the nozzle in the back of the lips where top and bottom of the lips meet and spray in the water. A few tries and your dog will drink water when offered.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys use for an electrolyte replacement? I'd love to add something to my dog pack I carry when I hunt. I already have water, first aid, bowl but never thought of some type of food. Always have that stuff in the pickup but not the bag.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of summer heat excercise - start slow build up and WOT once you have them dialed. If they having not been training - then hunting should be done on a start slow basis.
Always soak kidney area and tummy with water after running
Rehydrate or similiar
I carry water in a pack and 20 oz bottles -- they drink from either

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
See.... This is why you wear a Bat Vest people. It's got emergency supplies in it and stuff.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is why it is very important to train them when they are pups to drink from a plastic water bottle.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...erformance.pdf

check this article out. Short easy read. Saying feeding times and hydration. Electrolytes may do more harm than good.

You got that out of the read --- what i got out of it was "pre-condition". Amen to that ---- If you have a older dog you will be using some type of salt to avoid cramps etc. Salt will not harm (natural-sugar, water, salt - none of those items will harm an active dog). I have never met a hunting dog that doesnt know how to drink from a bottle.

Shorthair --- you have the best of the best and the best in the west. hot temps and short hair --- the two were made for each other.
Winter the tempo picks up and creates a heat that the short hair doesnt matter.

German engineered ---- no substitute exists.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77