Raccons w/ disease

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was talking with my neighbor the other day. He mentioned that they had a couples coons that were out in the middle of the day and not afraid of them. His wife is a vet, so on the 3, 4 and 5th one they sent it into get the run down on disease. Came back they all had distemper. Haven't noticed this at my place yet, but they will get no pass from me.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I see a critter acting funny and my "Spidey Sense" goes off.........my 12 ga goes off soon after. Glad nobody got hurt. Distemper and Rabies is nothing to fool around with.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skunks during the day is almost always associated with rabies (95%), I believe it's similar with coons. No sense in taking chances, shoot and minimize the risk.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ain't crazy to see dumb young coons out during the day until about late june, early julyish. but, after that, its shoot on sight.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
what about coons with missing chunks of fur/tails missing? i have a few of those on my trail cams this summer and havent seen that before

I think that's more from fighting, with each other or other predators. Caught lots of coons last year with REALLY short tails, but were otherwise good to go. Them big boars really go after one another and them mama coons aren't the most affectionate mothers I've ever come across either. Just wish they were worth a bit more at the fur buyer though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66