Rock Tamer vs Towtector

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm shopping for rock protection, let me know your experiences.

Rock Tamer vs Towtector go!

MULEDEER

Established Member
I have the tow tector I like it. It’s nice to have it on the trailer then you can use different tow vehicles. I did upgrade the support poles as the ones it came with were a little light

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have the towtector... the thing to watch out for is if you put it on another vehicle where your exhaust comes out, I did not think about that with the wife's navigator coming straight out the back and I melted my hula skirt

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple sets of rock tamers, they are very stout but I wish the flaps were wider like the towtectors, I run tons of gravel and the gap between the rubber flaps still lets a lot of gravel fly past them.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be debating whether to get a KwikPfyt or Towtector. Kwik is made in MN north of Fargo 30 miles and TT is made in SD, so both local products. Both use brushes to stop rocks. TT has two skirts and Kwik has 10 or so inches of aluminum plate above the skirt. Both are solid and easy to install. I don't know I which k better. Only heard good things about both products.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be debating whether to get a KwikPfyt or Towtector. Kwik is made in MN north of Fargo 30 miles and TT is made in SD, so both local products. Both use brushes to stop rocks. TT has two skirts and Kwik has 10 or so inches of aluminum plate above the skirt. Both are solid and easy to install. I don't know I which k better. Only heard good things about both products.

I have Kwik Pfyt and uses to have a Towtector. I prefer the Kwik Pfyt. I think the stainless steps a few more rocks and the main support bar is much stronger (I can stand on it). Plus I like the aluminum/stainless look better.

elkeater

Check out the Rockstar mud flaps made in Jamestown. Very nice look and provide great protection.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple sets of rock tamers, they are very stout but I wish the flaps were wider like the towtectors, I run tons of gravel and the gap between the rubber flaps still lets a lot of gravel fly past them.

This was my assumption with the flap style units. Thanks for sharing.

I like the idea of the "curtain" style of the Towtector. Has anyone had experience with rocks going through it? I'm sure it happens with larger rocks.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I put a rock through my boat windshield with rock tamers on. I think it was a fluke but lost some faith in them.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Rockstar mud flaps made in Jamestown. Very nice look and provide great protection.

Yeah they look nice and are well built but they have a design flaw. They rest up against your rear bumper and will rub the chrome or finish off your bumper real fast. The ones I bought are laying in the junk pile.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run a towtector for nearly ten years now. They are decent but not the end all, be all of rock protection. I still have rocks that end up IN my boat and on my pontoon when towing down gravel. And oddly, I've mellowed enough over the years to where I'm no longer pulling down the gravel at 70 mph, more like 45.

The other thing about Towtectors is that you will want to remove them if you are going to be going down muddy or slushy roads. They WILL gain weight, if you know what I mean. Plus, it seems to "wreck" them by making them bush out.

Note, all that said, when I get a new tow vehicle I will also replace the Towtector. Most likely with another.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the new style towtectors at Extreme Trailer sales in Mandan. They have a rubber background after the skirt on the new models if i remember correctly. Said they didn't make them for the Duramax yet in the new style.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a set made by Luverne Truck Equipment. They replaced the towtector. Cant be happier about the switch.

- - - Updated - - -

www.luvernetruck.com/mud-flaps/textured-rubber-tow-guards

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made my own last year after buying a trailer for my SXS. All items purchased at Runnings. Rubber diamond tread pattern mat (heavy), metal straps and hardware. All and all I like it. Have to make a new one now as sold the half ton and invested in a 3/4 ton. Have the hangers from the old one; just need to cut the mat material (left over from first purchase) to fit the new vehicle (same width, different height). Five bolts to vehicle, pretty easy on/off.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Main-MS-3XL.jpg

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just sold my rock star mud flaps, and I sold them for a reason..... they work great for keeping mud and snow slush off the front of whatever your towing.... but they do not do a great job with rocks. Rocks will bounce off the rubber and then bounce back onto the road and back onto whatever your towing. If I had to choose I'd pick towtector. For what I have now for my setup is a bow buddy for the boat trailer. So many rock dings on my enclosed trailer now from rock star MF that I need to buy towtector

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a towtector and really like all features of it except I wish it was wider. I have a standard factory f250 with the factory tires on it and wish that I had about another 3" of coverage out each side. I get a lot of rocks that go past the towtector making their forever mark on the front of my glass boat. It really sucks that this day and age you only get 2 choices to order for width, standard, or motorhome ha. Doesn't bode well for the guys with oversized tires or lift kits.

I am needing to replace mine and was thinking about going with the rock tamers due to the adjustment that is available (can raise and lower as well as extend in and out) but now I may have to re-think that. I too am guilty of melting holes from dual exhaust. Who knew twin turbo exhaust could get so hot ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77