Help me rig my new bow

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Bowtech RPM 360 comming. It's brand new, but a hold-over, so about half price of the current Bowtech flagship.
My current bow has a Spot Hogg sight and QAD Ultra Rest that are fairly new and I like very much, so I think I'll just move those over, but I'd like some thoughts on a few other things.

Stabilizer: Brand and length for tree stand and spot and stock deer and elk hunting. I think I'll get a quick disconnect to easily get it back in the case, but what is too long for hunting? Which offer the best flexibility for adding and removing weights?

Quiver: I want something lightweight that holds 5 or 6 arrows and is quick but solid to attach and detach, and fully encases broadheads.

Release: I have one that I don't hate, but is there something magic about these new ones that cost $100+ ?

Other things I'm forgetting?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stabalizer, something not overly long yet shock resistant. Bee Stinger sport hunter extreme is a good one. I myself am not a big fan of them anymore unless you are shooting at extremely long distances.
NAP Apache is another one that would serve you well.

Quiver, your not going to find anything much better than a Tightspot quiver. Pricey but worth it.
Bohning makes a good quiver for the money if you don't want to spend allot.

Release, hard to beat a Scott caliper for hunting. They are the original and still make bulletproof releases. The Shark is a nice unit.

I agree with you on moving your sight and rest over. I just bought a bowtech experience, came with a brand new set of strings and fall away rest for $335 shipped to my house. :;:cheers

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll second the bee stinger stabilizer and Scott releases. I haven’t looked at the new quivers so I’m no help there. I like a quiver that I can take off when Im in the stand.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
10" Bstinger sport hunter. I've always heard nothing under 12" will help you, but I found the 10" helps me, especially if there is any kind of breeze, which is 99% of the time out here. You can add some weights to the sport hunter pretty easily. I've never had any issues with a 10" stab being in the way under any hunting conditions. Quick disconnect is almost a must IMO, lots of different brands out there, but they are pretty much all the same.

Right now I have a Kwikee air quiver. Holds 4 arrows and is pretty much all foam, so really light weight. Still locks in nice, shoots good on the bow. Right around 35-40$ I think. Probably not the most durable quiver out there, but its really light weight and holds arrows nice.

I will also recommend Scott releases. Releases are really personal preference, but its hard to beat a Scott buckle release. The shark is good, but I prefer the Little Goose. Most of them can be adjusted to fit you.

Other things- Try out some different peep sizes. I settled on a 1/4", seemed to work the best for me. Other than that, not much as long as you are good with your arrows and broadheads!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bee stinger for sure on the stabilizer. Anything from 6-10" is a great length depending on your hunting style. Your rest and sight sound good to move over as well. I have been running a tight spot quiver for 4 years and absolutely love it!!! As mentioned by 5575, you can't go wrong with it.

If you are considering a new release, I would really look into a hand held. No more wrist strap, just clip it to the string and your done. Its a very nice feature if you are in a dark blind and can't see where to clip on the string, or if the deer moves and you need to range the deer again. Never need to worry about getting your release clipped back on the string. Plus they usually give you another 1/2-1" of draw length. More speed!!!

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with what has been stated so far concerning rest, sight, string, release, quiver, but have you considered arrows. No better time to start fresh if you're not satisfied with what you're currently shooting than when you start over.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im wondering why anyone would put a quiver on a bow plus 3 or more arrows. Most people buy fast bows and everything you attach to the bow is going to slow it down. I use a cat quiver backpack style and everything I need goes in of it. I just hang it in a tree when I get in my stand.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im wondering why anyone would put a quiver on a bow plus 3 or more arrows. Most people buy fast bows and everything you attach to the bow is going to slow it down. I use a cat quiver backpack style and everything I need goes in of it. I just hang it in a tree when I get in my stand.
I have an Alpine softlock quiver i just pop off once i get into the treestand. When spot and stalk i want it on my bow though because i drop my pack for the final stalk.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep quiver comes off in the tree for me, but stays on all other times. My quiver holds 4 arrows, 3 are ready to go for deer and 1 is ready to go for "critters".

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the Bee Stinger MicroHex stabalizers. You can get them in 6, 8, or 10 inches in a variety of colors.. Tightspot quivers are definitely the way to go. They have three arrow and five arrow models. They hold tight to the bow and are adjustable to help with balancing the bow correctly. I have a five arrow model but only hunt with three in it. When I've went to Colorado after elk and have packed in I used the other two spots so I could bring five arrows with but still only hunted with three and left the other two in camp for backups. I use a Scott Talon release. I like the hook style release compared to a caliper but have started experimenting with handheld thumb and back tension hinge releases a little bit. I also agree with Chas'n Tail, now would be a good time to reevaluate your arrows as well.

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bee Stinger stabilizer. I have the 6" because I don't shoot past 60 yards and I rigged for lightweight as I do mostly spot and stalk.

5 arrow Tightspot quiver is tough to beat.

Scott releases are tough to beat with your listed price range. I have the samurai and like it.

Only other thing I would suggest is to put a custom string on right away. I went with winner's choice, but there are lots of good options out there.

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as the hand held release goes I thought I'd give one a try this year, went with the trueball max pro 4.
Long story short it along with my arrow are no where to be found after about the 3rd day of trying to get used to it.
I somehow released it along with my arrow..gone..zo :(

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with what has been stated so far concerning rest, sight, string, release, quiver, but have you considered arrows. No better time to start fresh if you're not satisfied with what you're currently shooting than when you start over.

Yep, I'm going with new arrows. I decided I want to shoot a much heavier arrow, like in the 450-500 grain range if I can. I'm thinking the Easton FMJs.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats fine for tree stand hunting, but doesn't work as well when stalking mulies or elk.

- - - Updated - - -

I like nice things, but what makes those TightSpot quivers worth 3x more than the others?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I'm going with new arrows. I decided I want to shoot a much heavier arrow, like in the 450-500 grain range if I can. I'm thinking the Easton FMJs.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats fine for tree stand hunting, but doesn't work as well when stalking mulies or elk.

- - - Updated - - -

I like nice things, but what makes those TightSpot quivers worth 3x more than the others?

If you want a heavier arrow, take a look at the Gold Tip Kinetic series. I shoot the chaos and love them. I'm not as familiar with the Easton FJM, but have hear the shafts can get dented if you hit them with another arrow while shooting. Again, I've only heard that, never seen it happen before.

What I do like about the Kinetic series, is heavy weigh and small diameter shaft. I put 75 grain inserts in them and shoot a 496 grain arrow. These things are tough and can take a good beating. Took a shot earlier this year that missed low, skipped off the ground, off the ground and stuck into a tree. Arrow was still in hunting condition.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74