Battery Storage

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyones routine for winter battery storage? My boat is in the garage and it rarely goes below freezing, so I water them up and leave them in the boat on the charger.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That would be ideal I would think. If such storage is not possible (non-freezing garage), then I take my batteries out, charge them and store in my basement. Have never had batteries that are only used part of the year last as long as a car battery, for example. A battery that is generally used daily.

My wife is always asking why that battery that I just bought a year ago needs to be replaced. Because the one I replaced this year is from the golf cart that was new in 2012, and then in 2013 I replaced the battery in the PWC, 2014 the starting battery in the fishing goat, 2015 the trolling batteries for said boat, 2016 the battery for the pontoon, etc. Oh, forgot, also replace the batteries for my hearing aids weekly. Was more peaceful before I was talked into those so I could hear. Not hearing everything isn't the worst thing.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^You have a fishing goat? Do you buy him a license and does he catch his own limit? HA HA HA.:::

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's see, three batteries on boat, same for Toon, one in camper, generator, tractor, mower, 2 for pickup, 4Runner, UTV, so I have to replace several batteries a year, on average.

Truth is, so long as they don't have a draw on them they are fine being stored in the vehicle for 2-4 months. If they aren't fine when you come back, they were likely on their last leg anyway. It's not like we pull the batteries out of our tractors, swather, haybine, or ??? back on the farm either. Why we fishermen think it's necessary to do so is beyond me. Maybe if I stored my boat in Sept and didn't look at it again until June I'd think differently. I do clean the terminals at least every other year. That's about the extent of it for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80