Tobin Walleye Fishing

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever gone up to Tobin in the fall and fished at all? Any suggestions on where to stay and areas to fish?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
we used to go up every year in the fall, it was a blast caught my biggest walleye up there 33 1/4". We used to stay at some cabins in nippawin that were in the provincial park, we actually fished the river part from eagles nest to the dam we fished mostly live bait during the day but i have seen big fish come pulling cranks at night.

- - - Updated - - -

the later in the fall the better like october for big fish

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been trying to get my old man back up there for a couple years. Last time he was there was when he was my age.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've stayed at a campground just outside of town called McSweeney's. It's only a mile, or two, to the boat ramp. They have cabins with bedrooms and a few with decks outside where we did dipped a turkey in the deep fryer.

Best times I've ever heard of is the full moon week in mid to late October. Yes it's cold, but who complains when you catch 31" fish in the dark, have multiple boat snowball fights while on the river, and fish early mornings and late evenings each day?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the mid 90's they had the world walleye championships held in mid oct,pretty sure the province record was broke 3yrs in a row,last I herd some guy from north Dakota still holds the record around 17lbs+,to lazy to look it up,fishing buddy from White Bear Lk,Mn still holds the world line records,4lb trilene,11'4oz I believemhe had a 10.8 in the well but knew he could do better.(Denis Klick)crazy bastard!He would make the run from early Friday and be back home late sunday to open his shop come Monday morning.

Wardens came down on non-rez folks pretty hard towards the end of this era,going into cabins checking on freezer fish,boat violations etc,that ended the run but it was good while it lasted.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to tobin late 90's to 2000 lots of nice fish biggest I caught was 13.75 on cranks something with a red or orange line on the bottom. we stayed at mcsweenys cabins. always went around full moon and hoped the dam was pushing water.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
95 to 2000, ( wow can't believe it's been 15 years ) we went in mid october, stayed at mcsweeney cabins, caught our fish on jumbo leeches and Lindy rigs with 12 to 15' snells and a foam floater tied in the middle to give the line a little lift which helped with the finicky biters, the bigger the leeches the better. Largest fish was 13 lbs.

the last time i Was there a local from carrot river caught an 18 lb 4 oz

Founding Member
Founding Member
We still try to go almost every year, but the fishing is nothing like it once was. We go in the fall, but I have friends that do well on the lake in June, did good this past month again as a matter of fact. Many a good time had up there!

IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_9169.jpg
IMG_9172.jpg
IMG_9181.jpg
IMG_9183.jpg
IMG_9206.jpg
IMG_9224.jpg
IMG_9226.jpg

pullmyfinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been up there a number of times, always in late October full moon phase. We stay at McSwaney's, which was sold recently and is now called "Reel 'Em Inn"...nice young couple from Saskatoon bought it. We have our cabins reserved for Oct. 24th thru the 31st this year, the peak of the full moon is the 28th. We generally fish one of three areas-Grass Island, the White Rock or Eagle's Nest-pulling cranks..we have had numerous 13+ fish with the biggest 14 pounds 11 ounces...by the way, the provincial record was bought thru the ice by a priest from Carrot River, 18 pounds and change

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tobin is the best walleye fishing i have ever seen. All night bites on big cranks on the channels edge. We would troll all night and go to bed after sunrise.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking an annual trip should start up there with some guys from this site myself included of course

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69