Moose Hide

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mom was lucky enough to tag out this weekend on a nice cow in M9. We've been debating on what to do with the hide.

Anyone ever had one tanned? If so, any idea what the cost was? Shipping alone for a 100lb+ package certainly won't be cheap. I think they would make a nice, warm pair of gloves.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i got one of mine i was going to have it tanned as it was a pretty tri-color. But my buddy had to park his ATV on top of the moose in the pickup bed and it rubbed the hair off in 2 or 3 spots so we didn't tan it. Still makes me mad to this day.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have sent several different furbearer hides to Moyles and they have all turned out great with a quick turnaround. I know of a person who sent a cow moose to them last year and they said it turned out great. I don't think Moyles takes raw fur so you will need to flesh, stretch, and dry it. My friend said her biggest problem in sending them a moose hide was that you had to re-hydrate the back of the hide after the drying. The hide on the back is very thick and would not fold without re-hydrating it.

I have used Montana Rug and Tanning for my most recent larger hides. They have done a caribou as just a tan, a full grizzly rug, and are just finishing up my mountain goat throw/blanket. Everything has turned out great so far. Montana rug and tanning will also take your fur raw and deal with the fleshing and stretching.

I would recommend doing the throw/blanket with a moose hide if yo're not planning on making clothing out of it. Tanned hides from anything larger than a wolf or lion are just awkward and kind of an eye sore IMO. They don't lay flat so the only option is to hang them over furniture. I'd recommend having the taxidermist square/round off the hide so it lays flat and looks good, add a matching backing, and trim the backing flush with the hide. Then you can lay it out on the ground, on a bed, use it as a blanket, etc.

If you ship it raw, throw it in a couple contractor bags and then wrap it in visqueen. Then just place the wrapped hide into a large tote and throw the whole works into a huge freezer for a few days. It should stay frozen during shipping. Ship it on a Monday and do guaranteed one or two day. Let the receiving end know its coming so it doesn't sit on their dock. The shipping on a heavy tote with a raw fur might be cheaper than a rectangle box than stands 6 feet tall and a foot wide with a stretched hide. I shipped a grizzly hide from AK to MT next day at UPS and it was only about $100. I think it weighed 80 lbs.

I know you asked about prices, sorry i can't help there since I haven't done a moose (yet). Just figured I would throw in a couple points to ponder; don't want you to spend the money and not get what you were expecting in the end. I would expect to spend around $600 after shipping. Hopefully you share with us whatever the finished product is for future reference and I hope you enjoy whatever the finished product is that you decide! Congrats on the full freezer!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i got one of mine i was going to have it tanned as it was a pretty tri-color. But my buddy had to park his ATV on top of the moose in the pickup bed and it rubbed the hair off in 2 or 3 spots so we didn't tan it. Still makes me mad to this day.

Should have had it scraped and tanned on both sides. Sell it to Natives or have someone make you a moose leather jacket.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have taken a few deer hides to the taxidermist to get tanned the past few years. A doe hide costs $120, and if I remember correctly a buck hide costs $150. So to get a moose done (it's on the square footage) it would probably be around $400 at a local taxidermist and it takes about 7-8 months to get it back.

Note, I've taken mine to Nature's Reflections up north of Lincoln. All have come back in excellent shape!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the information! I'll do some more research.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had my 1995 ND Bull Elk tanned , hair off so it looks like gray leather. Hangs on my office wall and I have not made up my mind what to do with it. I once thought of cutting a hole in the middle and wear it like a Clint Eastwood Blanket thing but the dammed thing weighs 35#. Oh well when the time comes my kids can set my Urn on it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations to you Mom first of all. Then have a long term plan for the hide or it just becomes a thing you throw in the closet until it becomes unusable. Make a coat, put it on a wall, make furniture accessories, donate it to a kids touch/feel learning center when you're done with it, etc. Folded leather creases and cracks don't come out. Just look at a pair of boots where the tops have lain over to one side for a period of time. The point of the fold gets cracked as well as unsightly and is fairly permanent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77