‘Tis the Season for Trophy Birds

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DB4D0406-FAFB-48CB-B112-C1885AED5F8D.jpg

Picked up this gorgeous bufflehead this morning after putting in some work. Anyone else having some luck?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting you don't see them much. Late late in the year on any open water you can find there are usually a handful with the mallards. They only get prettier by the time January comes around! Nice bird, hope the taxidermist does it justice!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats the plan right now. Looking into a taxidermist that can do the bird justice. I don’t run into these every day.
There is only one guy I would send it to. He was the world champion waterfowl taxidermist back in the 80's. He did a wood duck for me about 28 years ago and the thing still looks as good today as it did when he did it. He was very inexpensive then and I would guess still is compared to anybody else. He is in southern MN and you can box it up and ship it.
http://www.northstartaxidermy.com/

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is only one guy I would send it to. He was the world champion waterfowl taxidermist back in the 80's. He did a wood duck for me about 28 years ago and the thing still looks as good today as it did when he did it. He was very inexpensive then and I would guess still is compared to anybody else. He is in southern MN and you can box it up and ship it.
http://www.northstartaxidermy.com/

Shipping makes me nervous but his gallery does have nice work in it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Birmanstudios.com has always treated me well. He might be backed up by now though. Worth a check and definitely does good work. We ended up shooting some good looking scaup, redhead, ringneck, and bufflehead. Could have shot a lot more scaup but don’t need another for the wall. We missed a couple goldeneye as well

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We mostly shot scaup/bluebills today too but I treat them as meat birds.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s a really nice one!

Sportsman’s Taxidermy in EGF is where I would go. His birds are very good.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make a gorgeous mount.. shot one when I was younger, dad had it mounted for me.. and my sisters cat shredded the mount. I hate cats still to this day

Last edited:

Black Cloud

Check out Frenchy in Minot. I've never had a bad bird from him and he did 3 buffleheads together for me and they're beautiful.

Dew1970

Haultberg in coleharbor did a speckelebelly for me last year did great job reasonably priced and fast turn around

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys are killing me. 6 suggestions given without a single double. How’s a guy to pick?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’d say rough rider game birds but prob 2 to infinity year turnaround. He did an amazing job on my bufflehead. I would look at these guys past bird work to make sure the poses look natural. I have seen a lot of messed up mounts by recommended taxidermists

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75