Don’t know where to hunt

Andymorg

I’m new to the area and I don’t know where to find ducks. I have about 2 dozen decoys. I don’t wanna go on the river because I’m not trying to piss anyone off. I’m from Montana and I did quite well up there hunting for waterfowl but I have no idea where to find some fields to hunt. The lakes are going to start freezing soon and I wanna know a good area or direction to head to that will be beneficial for me.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing your specific location, start at the big water and work your way out. Small water is or will be froze over soon. No secret squirrel locations or tactics. Just plain ole ordinary scouting. Good Luck!!!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
While you're probably out of luck for this year as most everything other than the river will be frozen within a couple days; you'll need to head east at least 20 miles to get into much duck country. Google earth helps locate ducky areas. The river hosts immense numbers of canada geese once all the little water freezes so that would probably be your best bet if you're after something this year. Fields along the river are not the easiest to gain permission on however.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots and lots of waterfowl along the river in November and December. It may be hard to get permission until after deer season, but at least everything that is posted will be clearly posted. Don't forget to keep some orange with you if you find fields to hunt during deer season. Also make sure you don't have a deer tag in your pocket if you're driving off trail to set decoys during deer season. The biggest gripe some of them landowners have is when you track up their fields so always take ground conditions into consideration before driving into a field.

I grew up down by Beaver Bay and there have historically been ducks keeping water open even in high water years well into long stretches of negative temperatures. I can think of a good number of landowners from Badger Bay all the way to the border that are great to work with.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head north towards sakakawea n keep an eye out. Don't be affraid to venture off the main hiway. ducks n geese every where. Find some, stop in and ask the landowner for permission, most don't give 2 shits bout people hunting ducks n geese as long as u don't tare shit up n clean up after yourself! Good luck!

This weekend might not be the best time though, due to deer opener!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just drove from Bis to Fgo. There's only about eleventy-four Bajillion waterfowl birds fluttering about this afternoon.

campchef

Honored Member
When I moved here 40+ years ago I did my due diligence, scouted and developed a plan. I had a sack of decoys and field hunting never entered my mind. I set up on "lost lake" on the Glencoe bottoms and it's still some of the best shooting I have ever had. To each their own but hunting is hunting, killing is another story.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just drove from Bis to Fgo. There's only about eleventy-four Bajillion waterfowl birds fluttering about this afternoon.

They just boogied. If I was a duck I would be in Cancun. I would of left on labor day. Step outside this am. A wake up call. Kurt wanted it cool.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool not freezing cold. Please dont make any more weather predictions. I will try to write in icelandic hillbilly dialect .....dem der waters is a freezing cletus we dern sher want dat a smigen of forst to kill the creepy crawlys though is need eh

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 64