2.7 Liter Ecoboost F150

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta admit I'm intrigued by those little toaster engines they're putting in F150 these days. My 2nd car was a Toyota Camry with a 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder. Now Ford is putting a 2.7 liter twin turbo in a pickup. What an exciting time to be alive...

Who has one?

What are they like in cold weather (lighter, less traction, can they even heat the cab of the truck when its below zero)?

Do you trust this motor to last more than 100K?

What is a real world fuel economy doing 75 MPH running our 10% ethanol fuels?

Thanks for any input- thinking maybe a future purchase.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've put about 30k on mine; no problems. Heater is as good as any vehicle I've had. I would estimate 18-19 mpg on the interstate although I've seen it as high as 24 over 300-400 mile trips. Pulls my 19ft boat no problem and gets around 12 mpg doing that. Does seem to slide around a little more on ice than other pickups I've had but can't say for sure.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that even considered an engine?? I can hear one coming down the street now..................ning,ning,ning,ning......;:;rofl.......sorry......FYI I charge $20 for a tow out of snow bank and you have to hook up the tow rope.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting old. I've had two Fords with the 300 six cylinder (4.9 L) engines and they weren't exactly the most powerful things around so Ford had to use very low gears in those trucks.

Now we're talking about 2.7 L engines (165 cubic inch) being the low-end of Ford's offerings in their pickups and nobody's really complaining about them. At least, I haven't heard any complaints.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 3.5l ecoboost has more power than my 6.4l powerstroke from the factory... it shocked me, my wifes nav is really nice to drive and will surprise you with it's go go power

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few guys are running them where I work and they are using them as daily driver work rigs. Both crew cabs and 4x4's. If you're willing to drive 65-68 they are seeing 23 on the highway.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few guys are running them where I work and they are using them as daily driver work rigs. Both crew cabs and 4x4's. If you're willing to drive 65-68 they are seeing 23 on the highway.
Most of the current trucks will do that. I want 20mpg while doing 85 :)

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member

Give it another 5-6 years, will probably be pretty close to that.

I'm seeing about 18.5-20 with no wind at 75-77 with the wifes 6.7 powerstroke currently. At 80-83 it drops off dramatically and quickly. At 65-67 it pulls 21+ all day long. Pulling horse trailer with 1 horse, or 4, doesn't matter... 75-80 interstate its 11.5-12.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member

The new 3.0 Powerstroke will do that. Cruise set at 82 and I am seeing 19-23 (wind dependent) and up to 28 perfect conditions cruise @ 65. In town 17-19.5.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new 3.0 Powerstroke will do that. Cruise set at 82 and I am seeing 19-23 (wind dependent) and up to 28 perfect conditions cruise @ 65. In town 17-19.5.
Thats a diesel, your cheating. To be honest i have gotten over 19 several times while driving long distances out west doing 80-85 in my 2015 Sierra. If i remember correctly i got 19.3 last year hauling ass from Missoula to Bismarck, the only time the speedo dipped below 83 was when i filled gas in Billings, there wasn't an excessive tailwind either.

I don't get why a guy can get better gas mileage going up and down mountains out west than i can driving on the flatland of ND:;:huh

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats a diesel, your cheating. To be honest i have gotten over 19 several times while driving long distances out west doing 80-85 in my 2015 Sierra. If i remember correctly i got 19.3 last year hauling ass from Missoula to Bismarck, the only time the speedo dipped below 83 was when i filled gas in Billings, there wasn't an excessive tailwind either.

I don't get why a guy can get better gas mileage going up and down mountains out west than i can driving on the flatland of ND:;:huh

I agree I am cheating. I am just pleased I have finally found a truck that checks all of the boxes I want checked (and I have had WAY too many trucks in the last 8 or so years)... Comfort, ability to tow, and mileage.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought a new 2.7 L F150 about a month ago. My old truck was a 2010 with the 5.4 L V8. I haven't towed anything with the new truck yet, put as far as acceleration and snappiness, this new truck absolutely kills my old one. Probably has something to do with a 10 speed transmission as well. It is the most quiet and smooth engine in a truck I have ever had. So in my opinion so far so good. I don't see any issues pulling my aluminum boat. Gas mileage is nothing to brag about in town, my V8 got me around 12, the ecoboost gets me 15.5. Haven't taken it for a trip on the highway yet.

One thing I really didn't like was the auto stop/start. When you pull up to a stop light the truck would shut off and when you release the break it would start again. Very annoying. You can disable it by hitting a button on the dash, but you had to do it every time you restarted the vehicle.

So I downloaded Forscan and disabled it permanently. Also did a couple other minor mods like having the foglights stay on with the high beams, disabled door ajar chime, increased the lane-change number of blinks, and disabled auto lock.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62