Kicker Rigging

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the process of ordering a new 621 Ranger. I'm wondering about setup for the kicker motor. I'm no expert at this as my old boat has no kicker. I'm looking for setup recommendations. If I use a tie-bar and use the power steering at the wheel the dealer is recommending another battery and a separate charger. I'd like to have a trollmaster for the speed control. Do you recommend using it only for speed only or should I install a Panther steering unit for remote steering. It sounds like if I do that I need a different trim/tilt unit.....??? I'm a bit confused and wondering if you guys that run kickers can give me some advice on setup pros and cons.

P.S. I know others might think I'm buying the wrong boat, but I'm pretty set at this point. ;)

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just run a tiller kicker with the trollmaster. Use your bowmount to do all of the steering. This is the least expensive set-up and easy to master trolling contours with this method. If you are running Mercury products you will need 5 batteries in the boat (3 for bowmount, 1 for power steering, and 1 for the rest of the house).

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why so many batteries ? I go with one good battery for kicker, main and the rest of the house and carry a jumper system just in case, Never had to use it.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
2nd what Aaron said. You will never be able to turn a 21ft. boat with a kicker they way you want. Do not get the panther system. Steer with the trolling motor is the best way. Also way better to get a tiller and install a trollmaster pro 3 for the speed regulation. It is the one with the remote. That way you don't have to sit in one spot to adjust the speed. Also does Mercury now have a fuel injected kicker? If so get that. I am disappointed with my carbureted Merc kicker. I have to run it dry every time I use it at the end of the day. If I don't it starts to run like shit. Reasoning for the extra battery is the power steering. The electric power steering pulls a lot of juice out of your battery. I know a few people that had to use their kicker to get back to the boat ramp at the end of the day because their starting battery was dead.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get the kicker with forward controls and tie it to your big motor. That way you can start it and trim up and down at the steering wheel. Then just use your trolling motor to steer so you don't have to saw the wheel and run your battery down. Sometimes you may want to turn sharp or turn motor one way or another a little you can do that at wheel instead of going back to tiller handle.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
. Reasoning for the extra battery is the power steering. The electric power steering pulls a lot of juice out of your battery. I know a few people that had to use their kicker to get back to the boat ramp at the end of the day because their starting battery was dead.

That explains it, Bought my boat rigged with trollmaster and Panther and couldn't figure out why it should take so many batteries. I paid a whopping $ 4 for two cutting boards at walmart and made a shark fin for the bow mount and pretty much fish hands free for the first time in my life. I can't say that I catch more fish but It's nice. I hardly ever turn my tiller but I Paid $ 30 or less for a universal remote winch control an did away with the hard wired steering.

- - - Updated - - -

Boat and advice both above my pay scale.

B.S. Operate on a shoestring.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i see alot of boats on dvl with kickers but rarely see one being used? do you guys pull cranks and spinners using your kickers?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That explains it, Bought my boat rigged with trollmaster and Panther and couldn't figure out why it should take so many batteries. I paid a whopping $ 4 for two cutting boards at walmart and made a shark fin for the bow mount and pretty much fish hands free for the first time in my life. I can't say that I catch more fish but It's nice. I hardly ever turn my tiller but I Paid $ 30 or less for a universal remote winch control an did away with the hard wired steering.

- - - Updated - - -

B.S. Operate on a shoestring.
I gotta use Velcro. HA HA

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
i see alot of boats on dvl with kickers but rarely see one being used? do you guys pull cranks and spinners using your kickers?

I use my kicker quite a bit. It's also nice to use when using the bowmount and fighting a big wind. I'll point the bow into the wind, give the kicker a little ommph (not enough to go into the wind), then fine tune my location for working structure (jigging/Lindy) with the bow mount.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out west, sans big winds, kicker and trolling motor is the way. Scrap putting hrs on the big engine

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do they give you the option of mounting the kicker on the starboard side of the ranger? I've heard a few ranger guys wishing the kicker was mounted on the driver side. Just curious if that's an option from the factory

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta use Velcro. HA HA

And duct tape . I'm pretty creative at saving a buck , I matched up and ordered the same exact servo motor for throttle control and bought extra remote controls . You can build a hard wired troll master system for around $ 30, Brackets and all.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why itroll as opposed to troll master ?
Wireless for starters. I haven't looked into them for a couple years but last time I did the itroll was the way to go. Little more money but in the overall price of a new boat trivial.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66