Night Hunters - I need your help!

Rick Tischaefer

My name is Rick Tischaefer and I am the President of the North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association. I also serve as a coordinator for the North Dakota Cooperative Fur Harvester Education Program, a joint outdoor education program with our association and the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

Many of you have taken the opportunity (or may plan to in the future) to night hunt coyote and fox here in North Dakota. Those that have know firsthand the frustration of not being able to use any tool which may produce an artificial light. This includes a scope mounted or hand held infrared illuminator, or any LED or filtered light in red, green, or amber color. Artificial light in this context provides a measure of safety (human or otherwise) with this outdoor activity. Many tasks like walking, sitting, or observing; determining objects, targets, and distances; attending to personal equipment; hunting with a partner; handling a weapon malfunction; and safely hunting afoot present significant challenges while night hunting coyote and fox. Legislators recognized these identical challenges and needs for safely night hunting raccoon and beaver and proactively included red or amber filtered artificial light in the Century Code. We need to amend the Century Code to allow the use of artificial light (infrared, LED, red, green, or amber) while hunting coyote, fox, raccoon, and beaver.

I have an information packet with a bill that will be introduced in the upcoming legislative session. It amends the Century Code to include the aforementioned language. We have both Senators and Representatives supporting this process, and we need more. That's where you come in. I need your help to spread this legislative support across the state and to the respective legislative committee members.​

If you are a night hunter, plan to be a night hunter, or just simply support the concept of this opportunity, you need to be a part of this process. Send me an email at “tischrc@ndak.net” or PM me here and I'll get you a packet. Feel free to spread the word to friends, relatives, or any other avenue you think may help with this effort. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Respectfully,

Rick Tischaefer
President, North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association​

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm to old for much night hunting, but I think the use of colored lights is only common sense. I have polyneuropathy which really messed with my balance because I don't feel my feet. Turn off the lights and I'm going to fall. Maybe if they pass a law that we can use lights I could do it at least once. Sounds like something for a bucket list.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76