First bow for my kids

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to get my 6yo twins bows for Christmas this year and have been looking at the options that are out there. I would prefer to get them recurves to begin with. Just wondering if anybody has any input as to what bows I should be looking at? PSE seems to have a couple beginner options that seem good. Keep in mind they are 6 and are growing fast so I won't be buying a competition quality rig just to have them outgrow it in less than a year.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go with the mission Craze or something similar. I think all the big company's are making one now that is easily adjustable. You done need a press to adjust draw link. It crazy how fast the can keep increasing their poundage when they shoot often. My son has shot one for the last 5yrs or so.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want sights a mission craze is hard to beat. If you looking of something that don't have sights a genesis is a very good option. Very adjustable and able to be used without a release also gets them used to a compound at the same time.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picking up a diamond atomic youth bow for my girls this Christmas. Very adjustable and have heard good things about it

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picking up a diamond atomic youth bow for my girls this Christmas. Very adjustable and have heard good things about it

This bow was great for my kids till they hit about 6. Then I was to small. My youngest shot it still this year at 7 years old and he is very small for his age at 50 lbs and it was way to small of a bow for him.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my now 14 year old a Bear Apprentice when he was ten. Package from Scheels included everything you need. Very adjustable both draw length and weight. He has gotten turkeys and a deer with it. Easy to adjust yourself. No negatives that I have seen.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the Barnett tomcat for our now 11 year old girl at age 6-7 to transition into a "real youth bow" It is a decent fundamental teacher and will stick arrows in the target pretty decent out to 15-20 yards, I bought it black Friday for like 40 bucks a few years back. It comes with site, rest, arrows and a quiver. I got rid of the heavy fiberglass arrows and used a 23" carbon arrow, but it is nothing more than a training tool to get them into good habits until the time they can pull around 30 LBS. I would then switch to one of the extremely adjustable 25-55lb bows and set it up for around 200-350$.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
This bow was great for my kids till they hit about 6. Then I was to small. My youngest shot it still this year at 7 years old and he is very small for his age at 50 lbs and it was way to small of a bow for him.

So is it for sale? Cause I haven't went to scheels to pick it up yet....

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a diamond atomic for my oldest boy at 4. Now at age 7 (and 48 lbs) he is finally up to 17lbs and shoots the crap out of it. For my 4 yr old this year I picked up a bear cruzer. It is a bit larger for him, but is adjustable enough to be a legal bow for deer hunting. I will likely be passing the atomic to my youngest (3) next year and upgrading my oldest boy's bow.

So I would say skip the atomic and for with a larger frame.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does the Archery In Schools program still use the Genesis? If so, that might be a consideration. That is a really good program for beginning and all young archers.

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
I starter my daughter on a bear brave 3 , around 8 yrs old it could be adjusted for strength, worked good as a starter, then moved her up to the diamond infinite edge package last year .she is now 11 and loves it very adjustable and she should be able to shoot it all the way up till she is old enough to decide she can pay for her own upgrades haha

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second the genesis bows used in the NASP. Great quality and adjustable for literally every draw length and weight.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a diamond atomic for my oldest boy at 4. Now at age 7 (and 48 lbs) he is finally up to 17lbs and shoots the crap out of it. For my 4 yr old this year I picked up a bear cruzer. It is a bit larger for him, but is adjustable enough to be a legal bow for deer hunting. I will likely be passing the atomic to my youngest (3) next year and upgrading my oldest boy's bow.

So I would say skip the atomic and for with a larger frame.

So my oldest girl turns 5 at the end of the month, youngest is 3 in april. Due to the fact they are girls and are quite young im not thinking a larger frame is better..??? I don't at all right now feel the need that they should have a bow they can hunt with. When that time comes they'll get an upgrade. Right now is getting them comfortable with shooting and keeping their interest in doing so

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
20180731_191515.jpg
Here is my 4 yr old shooting the diamond atomic. It's a great little bow and would recommend it for young kids and small framed kids.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought my now 14 year old a Bear Apprentice when he was ten. Package from Scheels included everything you need. Very adjustable both draw length and weight. He has gotten turkeys and a deer with it. Easy to adjust yourself. No negatives that I have seen.

This for sure - it is the most cost effective and adjustable on the market - IMHO - and it will stay with your kids until they are mid teens or even older depending on their growth rates.....

Saint Hubert

Get them bows from Black Rhino. Just google "Black Rhino bows"They make beautiful wood bows for all ages. I've been buying them for my kids since they were 4yo. When the older one gets too big, I pass them down to the younger ones. They are very affordable and are very high quality.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66