Keeping turkeys out of a bait pile?

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if there is any ideas for keeping turkeys out of my bait pile?
I have around 60+ turkeys coming in at 4:00 and stay till dark and then the deer migrate in, I figure if I can keep the turkeys out maybe deer will come in earlier. I thought about going Vallely on their ass but I don't want to go down in history like that.. HAHA

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
This spring I could get you some recruits to help thin them out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The couple guys that I know that deal with turkeys put up feeders that keep the corn above where the turkeys can reach it when they are standing. Most of these feeders are gravity fed with the tubes being angled down from the hopper. The other way they avoid some turkey competition is to use alfalfa bales instead of grain. I might think about using both. Good Luck!!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of like KDM said Greens over Grains and also a little turkey herd reduction practices would help.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
you in McKenzie cty? I got a turkey tag....ha ha ha..help you take care of that.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll also add that I have a turkey tag for Morton county if anyone needs one removed.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Within minutes of my feeder going off the turkeys will be sprinting across the field to get to the corn, it must be a dinner bell sound to them

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
(other than the good solutions already mentioned)

- - - Updated - - -

Within minutes of my feeder going off the turkeys will be sprinting across the field to get to the corn, it must be a dinner bell sound to them

ha!

my cameras are full of photos worthy of being Chariots of Fire movie posters

505AFA82-A8A1-4D9A-8FFF-C8F08A22107E.jpeg

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Northern Ward county

- - - Updated - - -

I like the idea of getting the feeder up off the ground. Back to the drawing board

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe this is stupid, but what about just stepping out of your blind for a second, letting them see you and run/fly off, then back in the blind? Of course you wouldn't do this if the deer are already there, but if they're not coming in until almost quitting time, why not chance it.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call to see if the ND Game & Fish will bring in a stock trailer full of mtn lions, wolves, coyotes, and fox -- to help thin the flock.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Owl decoy in the trees or some shit arrows that buzz like hell when shot over their heads. Game call that you can operate remotely from the blind with die rabbit die sounds right next to feeder.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighbor used a .17. That seemed to keep them from coming back. There was well over 150 turkeys scratching and craping all over his shopped hay pile and stacked bales. He and all of his relatives ate a lot of turkey that winter, as well as the coyotes. Game and Fish came and there wasn't anything they could do to keep them from tearing up all his bales and defecating all over his chopped hay. Cows didn't want to touch the hay that they turkeys shit all over.

We used to have them really bad at our place when I was a kid. They are a nuisance to say the least.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76