Coyote tactics

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what you guys do to bring in yotes when they become 'educated'?

I'm hearing things from guys that are out hunting yotes and they are saying its tough because the dogs
are educated and you can't get them to come in, whats the fix?

GO....suppress yourself? SDMF? cmon guys.....lets here it

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot straight the first time so you don't educate them. lol
LOL.....hey taylorman, nice hearing from ya....well, story I'm hearing is too much calling is whats "educating" them, so they don't respond to the calling. Start trapping?? Instead of shooting them?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When the coyotes in my area get used to "regular" calling I use a different call or call pattern.

There are a ton of guys using the same electronic calls with the same patterns so I use something different. I've been having good luck with a couple of old (70's) Circe mouth calls lately.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got a 1yo female thats in heat right now, or getting close to it. Would a bitch in heat attract coyotes? Maybe she could be a decoy dog!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decoy dogs work. Have seen it on video quite a few times and it is pretty neat.

Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got a 1yo female thats in heat right now, or getting close to it. Would a bitch in heat attract coyotes? Maybe she could be a decoy dog!

If you dont like your dog use it as a decoy dog. In heat or not, if a male and female come in pretty good chance they catch her shes in trouble. The decoy dogs you see on video's have been at it for a while.

Calling in a so called educated Coyote is something you learn over time. A number of yrs ago I walked up a fence line from river bottom. The snow was about a foot deep and going up hill. I got to the top of the hill right at a corner post and not 10 yds away I could see where someone had called from. I knew he didnt shoot anything as his foot prints went back the same way he came in on. I knew it had to have been in the last hr or so no snow had blown in as the night before we had winds of close to 30 mph. I seen where he put his E caller so I used a hand call. I hadnt called for 5 mins and shot a double. Were they educted I dont know, did they hear something differant, maybe. I truthfully believe a Coyote come to a call more because there curious then hungry.

The point is dont get hung up on one call or one or two sounds. If using a mouth call you can put all kinds of emotions in the call. You can damn near beg them to come in. You cant do that with a E caller.

huntorride365
user-online.png

Premium Member
Blue_Glow_Forum_Ranks_Premium.png

reputation_pos.png
Join DateApr 2015LocationMobridge, SDPosts378NDA Points3,616NDA Level25
Thumbs Up
Received: 188
Given: 40

You've got to approach them from a different area. Most guys call from the same area time after time.​

I have called some of the same spots for 30 yrs and will call the area maybe 4 or 5 times in a winter. A Coyote is smart you just have to be smarter then him.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you dont like your dog use it as a decoy dog. In heat or not, if a male and female come in pretty good chance they catch her shes in trouble. The decoy dogs you see on video's have been at it for a while.

Calling in a so called educated Coyote is something you learn over time. A number of yrs ago I walked up a fence line from river bottom. The snow was about a foot deep and going up hill. I got to the top of the hill right at a corner post and not 10 yds away I could see where someone had called from. I knew he didnt shoot anything as his foot prints went back the same way he came in on. I knew it had to have been in the last hr or so no snow had blown in as the night before we had winds of close to 30 mph. I seen where he put his E caller so I used a hand call. I hadnt called for 5 mins and shot a double. Were they educted I dont know, did they hear something differant, maybe. I truthfully believe a Coyote come to a call more because there curious then hungry.

The point is dont get hung up on one call or one or two sounds. If using a mouth call you can put all kinds of emotions in the call. You can damn near beg them to come in. You cant do that with a E caller.

huntorride365
user-online.png

Premium Member
Blue_Glow_Forum_Ranks_Premium.png

reputation_pos.png
Join DateApr 2015LocationMobridge, SDPosts378NDA Points3,616NDA Level25
Thumbs Up
Received: 188
Given: 40

You've got to approach them from a different area. Most guys call from the same area time after time.​

I have called some of the same spots for 30 yrs and will call the area maybe 4 or 5 times in a winter. A Coyote is smart you just have to be smarter then him.

I wasnt thinking decoy like send her out to bring them back or anything. More like decoy like tie her to a fence post or tree, back off 50 yards downwind and call.... Or maybe just use her period pads as bait, if coyotes would be interested in something like that. #$%^&>

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasnt thinking decoy like send her out to bring them back or anything. More like decoy like tie her to a fence post or tree, back off 50 yards downwind and call.... Or maybe just use her period pads as bait, if coyotes would be interested in something like that. #$%^&>

Wow we just hit new levels talking about dog period pads..................;:;barf

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on what your goal is.
If you just want coyotes dead, snaring will always beat calling, assuming you have the same level of talent for both.
If you enjoy calling them, then I'll echo what others have said: You need to make a different sound and optionally approach them from a different direction than you or others may have done previously. Using hand calls is a good way to make sure your sound is unique.

Advanced tactics rely on understanding their movement and feeding patterns for a specific area and taking advantage of those. This can be difficult since they (seem to) wander all over and will eat just about anything, but as an easy example: Using Prairie Dog Distress a couple hundred yards off of a dog town. Do it at midday when the yotes are likely to be bedded nearby instead of cruising the town.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously you need the wind to be in your favor. Also, use the sun in your favor. If you can call from within a shadow it keeps you significantly more concealed than does the best camo $$ can buy with the bright sun shining right on you.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
A ghillie suit helps when you lack natural cover and you must sit in the sun in order to have a favorable wind.

The truth is, you can do everything right and they may still go in a different direction when you start calling. Over time you learn to recognize when they're leaving and decide if you want to take a shot. Some may say that's a good way to "educate" them, but we have several kills past 400 yards this year.

I find it does help if it's cold as balls and the snow is deep. They're a lot more motivated to take an easy meal.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sounds like lycan is up for a group buy of period pads.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have learned that it hurts my chances by sitting in the same spot and calling for more than a few minutes. I call and move constantly. Have a lot better luck catching them by chance that way and keeping low and keeping a keen eye out for movement. This took me many years to figure out but have had tons better luck doing this than calling from the same spot for too long.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Learn how to use a howler and learn what to say and when to say it, then you will be in business. If you can get a partner to sing a song with all the better.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gather up a few buddies on a full moon and sit over a fresh deer gut pile with shotguns and have at it.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
013A6915-860D-4C3A-8C47-AF02BD886F3D.jpg21CAFE62-2E52-426E-95B9-E20627D96EDE.jpg0655A81A-2D73-4BC0-B8BA-E20DF2AB2CCE.jpg000C69D2-560A-4438-873C-8D63A92B81EA.jpg
Gather up a few buddies on a full moon and sit over a fresh deer gut pile with shotguns and have at it.

Sounds like a soup kitchen to me.....

Watch Randy Anderson and Les Johnson on youtube, you can pick up allot from them dudes. My $.02 if your listening is to take away the coyotes advantage. Call with the sun in their eyes, wind in your face and watch your downwind, sit with the terrain to your advantage.

Bright sunny days sit in a shadow, don't slam the truck door or talk before a stand.

Walk 1/2 mile further than everybody else and kill twice the coyotes.

been slow year for me so far. Hoping to get a few more here soon.

Last edited:

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've been doing good with pup in distress myself, just mess with different sounds/calls

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62