New boat suggestions

Roscoe

I have somehow manged to convince my wife that I need a new boat and now comes the tough task of deciding which one. I'm looking for something in the 20 foot class that can handle Sakakawea in the wind. I will have a little guy with me most of the time too so something with sides that are decently high would be nice to make sure he can't fall out on windy days.

Right now I kind of have my eye on a 2075 Tyee but a friend of mine keeps trying to talk me into a Warrior. I have never dealt with a glass boat before but I'm not opposed to the idea. Is there anything out there that would be a good idea to stay away from? I'm hoping to get some ideas from guys that actually fish out of these boats rather than taking a salesman's word for it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if I was worried about getting back to the ramp, while out on sak, a warrior would be my first choice. I would talk to Rizzo about his 208.

Any 20 foot glass boat is going to do really well on sak though. I'm currently in the market as well (again) and will be looking at the same style boats that you are.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered a new boat myself after a lot of looking. I decided on a Ranger but there are other nice ones out there as well. They are all expensive but I was really impressed with how I was treated at Moritz and the deal I ended up getting. Don’t assume what anything will cost. Do your homework on each and get dealer pricing before pulling the trigger. Good luck!!!

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a Ranger last year and am very pleased. Moritz was very good to work with and they did give me more money for my trade in than River City, Swanson or Vallely. The Ranger rides way better than any other boat that I have gone against big waves with. I must admit that I have never even sat in a Warrior so I can't compare the ride to one.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy a boat like mine - nitro...
pull it with a truck like mine - ram diesel...
stay in a camper like mine - big horn...
fish where i fish - devils or sak...
fish like i do - whatever works (but for the love of God, no spinners)...

if you do all this we can b friends (cuz you're smart like me)...

if you ask me where i'm slaying (3 per day) the 11" eyes - you can pound sand...

am i getting this interweb thing down or what???

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything you want to know or see on a Warrior shoot me a PM. I will give you no bullshit straight forward answers. These threads usually turn into pissing matches with lots of hurt feelings. You have all winter to make your decision on what YOU like best. So go kick a bunch of tires, see which dealers will give you the time of day when you aren't holding onto your checkbook. Everybody is always about finding the best deal but remember that when it's time Togo fishing and you find yourself in need the dealer you choose is going to be your best friend or your worst enemy, this you will find out real quick.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you buy a boat that looks like a Vegas whore, sparkling with shame and regret, it really doesn’t matter, just make sure at the fish cleaning station you act like a superior asshole and tell all the other fishermen how they should fish, what they should keep size wise, how stupid their fillet knife is, and you remember being poor like them and owning an aluminum boat too.
Just kidding. Most sparkle boat guys are only 3/4 buttburglers, 1/4 dick

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer glass for the simple reason they are drier and smoother. I’m not sure you can go wrong with any of the popular brands. The motor is very important, I would put alot of value on that too.

Founding Member
Founding Member
You really need to go out in big waves with all of them and make your own decision. I'd buy one at least a year old, either a holdover or some "pro" who will have the best of everything on it. Good luck

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older Tyee and the sides are exactly what you are looking for with a little one aboard. What you give up with that is a higher profile in the water that acts like a sail on windy days making boat control a little tougher. Not impossible, but you will go through trolling batteries faster. My buddy has a warrior and it’s a great boat to fish out of, sides a bit lower but not something I’d worry about falling out of. Both great boats.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have owner way too many brands over the years. Feel free to PM me for honest reviews of those that I have owned and those that I have many hours of time in.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a boat show so you can see/sit in them all side by side.

Maybe get a good deal on last years model also.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^This...I'll be upgrading this year as well. Planning to go with a Lund 1875 Impact...sticking with tin. Started researching them end of last summer. Noticed that with Lund at least, the 2019s started hitting the dealers in July/August. At that point the 2018s started dropping in price. Planning to wait until the 2020s hit the dealers, will try to find a 2019 at that point. Good luck and take your time researching/reading/looking!

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know if your dead set on new but if you watch walleye central or Minnesota craigslist, you can find a year or two older boat and save a bit of money. Sometimes a lot. Unless you can find better deals on new than I can.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67