Pop-up vs Flip Style

Fitz

Established Member
I am in the market for a new fish house. I currently have an uninsulated flip over style fish house (Frabill Aegis 2110). It fishes small. 18 sq ft of fishable after, but that doesnt include the area my feet take up.

How hard are the pop-up/hub styles to set up with one person in the wind? Are they worth it in comparison to a flip over style?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run both. If the kids are with its usually the popup. They can be a pain to set up in the wind but once you figure out where to anchor them to the ice before setting up they are not bad.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have both. Otter lodge sled and lodge hub. Love the weight of the hub but can be tricky on the wind. Bet i use the popup more then anything because of the room.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you fish by yourself most of the time, I think flip over is still the best. For two people it’s a toss-up. Once you get to 3 people then pop-up shines because of the room, and the flip overs for 3 guys just get too big and bulky and heavy. I think the otter cabin is the perfect 1 man, that can fish two in a pinch, to save weight get the bench seat model and leave the bench out for early ice when dragging by hand.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Also have both and would not want to set the hub up in much of a wind by myself. Hub definitely has more room and is comfortable. Flip up is handy when you cannot drive your pickup where you want to go. With the flip-up you also have the sled to pull with a 4-wheeler, range, or snowmobile.

Getting to the point where there is no longer a "best" piece of outdoor equipment. Every piece depends on how it's going to be used. There are times a 20-21 ft. boat is perfect and others when a 12' dingy is perfect. Can't even get along with one set of camp anymore.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
If done properly, hubs are not hard to set up in the wind..

ive seen some fly across the lake and just wonder what they were thinking?

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started out with a couple different homemake wooden end with tarp for walls. They worked fine but too heavy to take out when your alone. Then I bought an eskimo quick flip 3 with a bench seat. I like it but there isnt much slope on the front of the sled part of it so if there is more than 3" of snow on the ice its a 2 man job to pull it across the ice. Its also a little heavier to load onto the back of the pickup. I have started takiny my 4 wheeler along more and realized i cant fit the flip over sled and the 4 wheeler together on back of the pickup at the same time and i dont have a small utility trailer to take with to load one of them on. Then a couple years ago I bought the eskimo fatfish 900 something thats insulated. I like all the extra room. So now I can load the 4 wheeler on back of my 8' box. Lay the hub on one side of the wheeler. I have 2 black calf sleds that I pull train style with all my gear loaded in. I guess what i like most about the hub aside from the insulation and lighter weight is if i want to fish overnight the bench seat in my flipover would be pretty uncomfortable. With the hub 2 people can fish with 2 recliner type camping chairs to spend the night in with alot more room than i would have in the flipover.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like others I have both.
Most of the time it's the popup fatfish.
Buddy just bought that giant 94 sq ft insulated clam popup Scheels had for sale for $350. Damn that thing is big! Was super easy to pop up as well. Maybe a tad too tall, heat was a ways up there.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
hub i set mine up b myself drill one stake in and hook tether in wind my yukon tough to load in my truck by myself

Brasmunky

Established Member
I have a tiny 2 man hub for quick trips by myself. If I'm gonna set up more than a few hours I use my 450i outbreak, if I am taking a pile of kids or something I use a fatfish 6120i. I can set all of them up in the wind with no problem. Just gotta remember to anchor first. Also toss those factory anchors and get these lags to use with a 1/4" impact. Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

SPAX 3/8 in. x 6 in. Powerlag Hex Drive Washer Head High Corrosion Resistant Coating Lag Screw
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-3-...ant-Coating-Lag-Screw-4571820101527/202041049

I had a flip over at one point but find they take too much room and weigh too much. Early ice I can pile all my crap into the Hyundai and get 35 mpg....cant do that with a flipover

parttimr

Just getting into ice fishing and purchased an Eskimo 949i. Took it out in yesterdays high winds on the big lake and as others have said anchors are the trick putting it up and down with no issues, there were two of us. Did use the tethers as well. So if this rookie can do it anybody can.

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm the guy who drives on the lake with my little ford escape with 9" or more of ice so from then on I use the pop-up because I can just tie it to a rim spoke down wind from my vehicle. I'm almost always setting up alone but it works great!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to move -- thats where the flip rules --- they both have strengths and negatives. 18inches of snow coming -- the only fishing that i will be dreaming about - will not be hard water.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just getting into ice fishing and purchased an Eskimo 949i. Took it out in yesterdays high winds on the big lake and as others have said anchors are the trick putting it up and down with no issues, there were two of us. Did use the tethers as well. So if this rookie can do it anybody can.

Check out the Night Ize CamJam if you want to take the suck out of the tethers that come stock.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to move -- thats where the flip rules --- they both have strengths and negatives. 18inches of snow coming -- the only fishing that i will be dreaming about - will not be hard water.

I hope that 18 inches of snow is just down south. Last forecast for up north said an inch or two. Hope it hasn't changed.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Have no problem setting up my 6120i in a stiff 25 mph wind myself i use 2 ice spikes on the the bottom corners windward side and one ice spike 6ft out with a tether on the same side hooked to the hub. The 949i is a breeze to set up would be plenty of room for 1 person also like my 1 man flip over for being mobile.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started out with a couple different homemake wooden end with tarp for walls. They worked fine but too heavy to take out when your alone. Then I bought an eskimo quick flip 3 with a bench seat. I like it but there isnt much slope on the front of the sled part of it so if there is more than 3" of snow on the ice its a 2 man job to pull it across the ice. Its also a little heavier to load onto the back of the pickup. I have started takiny my 4 wheeler along more and realized i cant fit the flip over sled and the 4 wheeler together on back of the pickup at the same time and i dont have a small utility trailer to take with to load one of them on. Then a couple years ago I bought the eskimo fatfish 900 something thats insulated. I like all the extra room. So now I can load the 4 wheeler on back of my 8' box. Lay the hub on one side of the wheeler. I have 2 black calf sleds that I pull train style with all my gear loaded in. I guess what i like most about the hub aside from the insulation and lighter weight is if i want to fish overnight the bench seat in my flipover would be pretty uncomfortable. With the hub 2 people can fish with 2 recliner type camping chairs to spend the night in with alot more room than i would have in the flipover.
n
Do you worry about ventilation if you sleep in the hub all night with no vent for the heater?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at an Eskimo 949i or a Clam Refuge Thermal.....anyone have experience to lend? My experience with the Eskimo QuickFish 6 was that it was hard to put back in the bag after teardown. Looking to fish with my 12 and 8 year old boys, with a friend, or alone. Definitely want the thermal for heat and condensation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76