tracks - just for the ice/snow?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm considering getting tracks for a Honda Pioneer for ice fishing. But I'm leery about use in the"off season". My mom uses it to putz around the property out west - nothing major and really not that many miles/year. Hauling fencing, feed, joy-riding, etc. - mostly prairie, hills, occasional jagged rocks.

If I install power steering will it work out OK to leave the tracks on 365? The hard cab adds a lot of weight so I'm hoping the tracks would lower the center of gravity and provide better base (some of the hills/trails get pretty good inclines)

Thoughts?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although I don't have a sxs, or tracks I have done a pile of research.

Usually tracks add to the overall height of a rig. Also, from what I have researched, tracks can be a 365 day/year item. However, gravel will decrease the life of bogey wheels considerably as will the more "uneven terrain" encountered in the 3 seasons not including winter where ice/snow have somewhat level out the ground.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a SxS but have spend a decent amount of time in them with and without tracks. I honestly cant imagine running tracks year around. Tracks are great when you absolutely need them for deep snow, but wheels are way better 95% of the time. My friends with tracked SxS seem to put them on later and later every year basically waiting until they cant use wheels anymore.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never ran my tracks year around or know anyone that does. I put them on late fall and take them off when i am done ice fishing. All my friends with tracked rigs do the same except for one that uses his for waterfowl hunting (muddy fields). I do think tracks are excellent in the winter as they give you the option of getting to where you want to go and getting back no matter what the conditions are. Hope that helps.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would wheel extenders be another option to widen stance to prevent tipping and tippy feel I expect will happen? Are they hard on bearings?

The DFK hard cap is amazing - but it's one heavy SOB.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's a 700-4... so there's twice as much hard cab!

- - - Updated - - -

https://hardcabs.com/model/honda-pioneer-700-4/

bronco

I run a Polaris ranger and switch out for the season. Mine as power steering so cant help you there.
IMO I see no reason why you couldn't run tracks 365
The Good... Tracks give you more stability, they smooth out rough trails and offer more ground clearance.

The Bad...they are loud, Their hard on lug bolts, They carry a lot of mud/dirt into the garage, they slow you down as far as speed goes and your odometer will not read correctly.

I think of tracks as a heavy pair of hunting boot they get you where you need to go...But tires feel like your favorite pair of slippers after the hunt.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can be left on but it is very hard (rocks) on bogey wheels as stated. They will raise hell tearing up lawn grass also. I have had mine on atv moving trailers and such, grass isn't a pretty site afterwards.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got tracks on my Polaris Ranger. I take mine off in the Non-Snow months. The tracks will get you wherever you need to go, they are a little hard on bearings though. It takes about 30-45min to put the tracks on & off. They're easy to take on and off, just cumbersome.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Western ND rarely requires tracks. I have been running these area for 17 yrs, and maybe once or twice tracks would have been handy

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just buy the kit, that's what we did for our 6x6 at the farm. Change them in the off season. It's just like changing a tire, except for 4! Easy peasy!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77