Winchester Model 70 rifles.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyone's opinion on the new Winchester Model 70 rifles? And how do they compare to Browning X-Bolt and Remington 700 for quality and accuracy? Anyone have one or the Coyote Light model?

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
It doesn't appear anyone owns one yet. Didn't they hit the market last year or early this year? they should compare favorably with the Browning because both brands are from the same corporation. They may even compare with Remingtons from before Rem got bought by the Freedom Group. The Freedom Group (corporate raiders) haven't done much to improve anything but shareholder earnings.

lund2075

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a write up on them in the NRA magazine "American Hunter". Maybe you know somebody that will give you theirs to read. They sound like a very nice rifle & shooting the Winchester XP ammo, will shoot grouping of 1.23". Hope this helps.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Model 70 coyote (not light) in 243wssm and its amazing shooter. Im a diehard Remington 700 fan but that Winchester can really shoot.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
This winter I purchased a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 270. Unfortunately, I haven't had a ton of time to shoot it yet, but so far I really like it. Shoots really nice, and it has a great adjustable trigger pull. I really have nothing bad to say about it yet and would highly recommend them to anyone.
IMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpg

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Winchester model 70 coyote light in 270wsm and it is a very nice shooting rifle. Seems to be real accurate shooting Federal ammo and the recoil is fairly light.That being said i also have Browning x-bolt in 243 and that also is a real nice shooting rifle. I personally like the fit and finish of the Browning but I've owned a few Brownings and always been more then happy with them. I dont think you would be unhappy with either.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering if the detachable magazine on the xbolt wonder be a hinderance for longer bullets?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a win fwt. In 7-08 and it shoots better than I can, for whatever that's worth. I had SDMF lighten the trigger for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Talking sub moa out to 300 yards (farthest I've shot it) with 120 ttsx. The fit and finish is excellent as well

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with a Winchester. When I was young at would hunt absolutely any weather conditions I preferred the Winchester for one reason. Pull the bolt and depress the lock with your fingers easily removes the fireing pin to wipe free of water or dust.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the M70 "new" again? Last I heard they were made in SC and went back to the big extractor and controlled feed?...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Sir, I went to the website and immediately felt sad. Damned if I buy an Asian Winchester OR Browning. I don't care about what "phobic" this purports to display. It ain't right. The M70 was the last strong hold. I was hoping SC would take over. I hope Kimber doesn't start making a lot of "value" shiite for folks like "me". Ruger and Remington make some of the most godawful ugly guns ever conceived for "my" sort of market. I'd soon buy a Handi rifle or a Henry and I DO NOT mean this as an insult to either company.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75