spring snows

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its going to be a while here in ND.Alot of guys are having trouble getting birds this year,with not many juvys.Im thinking mid april like last year but depends on weather.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 things will kill snow geese this spring. Wind or fog. If you have neither of those stay home, you WILL get desroyed by these birds this year. Im talking decoying. Ditch pigging no rules apply

Last edited:

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not alot of snow left in west central ND,I hope they come west.Should be here by next weekend.

Roscoe

How far west do the snows usually go? I moved back after being out of state for 6 years. The hunting was good around Jamestown but now I'm in Watford City and don't know if they make it this far west.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
still 4 feet of snow here in the north

if this weather holds tru mid 40's with upper 20's low 30's as lows youll have birds before you know it. there is gonna so much water we just as well could call Lake Dakotas.
darks real active around Bismarck today. not migrators per say but definitely birds spreading their wings and searching for any water starting to form which there is some just just starting in low bottom runs off areas mainly bean fields from travels.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not alot of snow left in west central ND,I hope they come west.Should be here by next weekend.
ALOT of snow in southern nd and northern sd. Itll melt fast but they should hang up in sd for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

How far west do the snows usually go? I moved back after being out of state for 6 years. The hunting was good around Jamestown but now I'm in Watford City and don't know if they make it this far west.
You can find birds from 83 all the way to the mn border. In my experience the further west you find them the more adults you will
be in. I call these birds the screamers because its hard to find them staged up anywhere in nd for more than a day or two. They seem to scream through nd in a matter of 2-3 days. I think alot of the oldest breeders slip west to get around the snowline. You catch these birds on light wind or south wind day- good fkn luck chuck.They can be had but they are notorius for pushing hard into canada. If you are into juvies and younger staging birds head east

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen my first flock in onida today
boy that escalated quickly

if they jump or find a way through that snow you guys got its free sailing up the river to Canada. we lost a shit pile of snow the last 3 days

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honkers pushing hard through Bismarck all day. Flying high and due north.

Onida you say? looks like we should have some good western hunting again this year!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honkers pushing hard through Bismarck all day. Flying high and due north.

Onida you say? looks like we should have some good western hunting again this year!
Odds are the western birds will push east due to how the snow line is set up. The 281 flyway is likely going to open first unless we get some warmer air on the western stuff to melt it faster. Kurts area has a hell of a lot of snow left.

snow_depth_shallow.2019032400.0.600.450._13414.3124._12740.4023.dem.none.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say on averag 2 ft . The alfalfa field around my house is all of that my dog feel through and all you could see was his head

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57