Which pickup to buy?

Hammer

I'm gonna be in the market for a pickup in the next yr or so. I'm looking for a midsize and have been thinking either colorado/canyon or Tacoma. Anybody own one (or both) and care to weigh in?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like the looks of the colorado -- with that said my buddy over the weekend - three qtr ton chevy babied never pulls anything nor gets stuck rarely in 4wheel drive / wasnt in four wheel drive 38k - transfer case went out - 3k $$$$. Unless if they hired new engineers in the past few years -- i dont trust em.

Tacoma -- my .02 jump up and get a 1/2 ton. I like our toy but -- perfect for in town driving - long distance --my wife says its a crawler not a road tripper. Plus it roars when you start it -- i never understood that and the dealer said its normal. Power so so --- pulls the boat like no issue / plus it doesnt mind tongue weight at all. i was surprised. Gas mileage meh.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The smaller trucks aren’t any cheaper and don’t get any better gas milage. They also have less power, less towing capability, less cargo space, less comfort etc. Unless space is really an issue I would think long and hard about a half ton.

Hammer

I have never owned a pickup and am looking at midsize only because I can't fit a full size in my tiny garage. I'm tired of having to ride along in someone else's pickup if I want to go hunting. Or have to ask someone for help if I need something hauled somewhere. I don't own a boat, so don't need it for towing. Just looking for something to mainly putz around town that I can hunt out of too.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep now days you can get a half ton that has way more power and gets better gas mileage than a small truck. Go that route.
If not get the Toyota for reliability alone.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tacoma for me. Hunting rig, pulls my boat and great resale. I've had Tacomas off and on since 1993. Full size trucks probably do about as good on gas. Usually only get between 18 and 21. Worse with the boat into a wind will bring it down to 16 but I still love them and will get another down the road. I like the looks of the Colorado but like the dependability of Toyota.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2018 Tacoma.
It has electronic fuel injectors which I find noisy especially in cold weather.

I have had both the front and rear differential replaced because of gear noises. And the rear differential still makes a cyclical gear noise at around 55 mph. They say now that is in all their trucks. ?? (So why did they replace the differential the first time.)
When shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 it occasionally does not shift when you expect it to -- rpms climb...me expecting it to shift. This is at low accelerations.
A couple of times I also have had gear howling noises at around 35+ mph, but can not repeat for them during test rides.

Anyway it gets better gas mileage than my Tundra did. Ha.
This is my 5th Toyota. It may be my last. I think the reliability isn't there like the earlier ones.
Good luck. Or maybe I got the one lemon. ??

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have never owned a pickup and am looking at midsize only because I can't fit a full size in my tiny garage. I'm tired of having to ride along in someone else's pickup if I want to go hunting. Or have to ask someone for help if I need something hauled somewhere. I don't own a boat, so don't need it for towing. Just looking for something to mainly putz around town that I can hunt out of too.
How big is your garage? A full size may fit. I would go with a Toyota Tundra if I was going to buy a kid size truck. There is no more reliable truck on the road and would be worry free with routine maintenance. The resale is also way better on the Toyota’s. You will not see a truck as reliable and proven from Ford or Chevy.

If you do consider a full size I would go with a Ford F-150 in the 2.7 ecoboost or the 5.0 v8. You can get a 5.5’ box with a crew cab and still fit in some smaller garages.

Another value option is to go with a Ram 1500 classic. It is the old body style at a value minded price. I saw a new crew cab for sale with a hemi for only 31k. Hard to find a new truck for that price.

- - - Updated - - -

1500 Ram. Mic drop.
How have Ram trucks been lately? They are about the cheapest new truck a guy can get but how did they do down the road? I know someone with the new 2019 and it has already been in the shop for electronic issues.

Hammer

Trust me, if I could fit a full size in the garage, I would not be considering a midsize. I've tried, but full size just isn't an option. Don't really want to spend $30k+ and park it outside either.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine also is a 2018 and has the injector noise but so did my 2016. I get a bit of rearend noise when just coasting but I heard they all do it to. I have had 5 different Tacomas, a Fj and 2 Rav 4s and been happy with all - never left me stranded anyway Lol

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new Rangers are coming out for 2019, might be worth waiting to see those plus it just adds competition which is good even if you want something else. The midsize truck market is growing rapidly and they are pretty cool if you don’t need or can’t fit a half ton I guess.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How big is your garage? A full size may fit. I would go with a Toyota Tundra if I was going to buy a kid size truck. There is no more reliable truck on the road and would be worry free with routine maintenance. The resale is also way better on the Toyota’s. You will not see a truck as reliable and proven from Ford or Chevy.

If you do consider a full size I would go with a Ford F-150 in the 2.7 ecoboost or the 5.0 v8. You can get a 5.5’ box with a crew cab and still fit in some smaller garages.

Another value option is to go with a Ram 1500 classic. It is the old body style at a value minded price. I saw a new crew cab for sale with a hemi for only 31k. Hard to find a new truck for that price.

- - - Updated - - -

How have Ram trucks been lately? They are about the cheapest new truck a guy can get but how did they do down the road? I know someone with the new 2019 and it has already been in the shop for electronic issues.

I've been a GM fan for decades but after two transmissions, one transfer case, and a motor, I decided to try something different. My company ride was a 15 Tahoe and I did not like the interior setup so I traded my GMC on my first Ram in 15. Its been a good outfit and runs down the road well. On a good day, I've had 22 mpg. The Laramie's and Limited's are not much cheaper than the others.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you aren't in a hurry there is always deals that pop up.
Used can save you money but sometimes dealer programs you can buy new and have full warranty for the same money or just a little more.
I have in my years bought quite a few both new and used. Have bought many used where the owner passed away and the family was selling his vehicle. Best bet is to let your friends know you are looking and if something pops up in their area you will know.
Sometimes the used vehicle dealers can find you what you are looking for too. I know Anderson Motors in Center, ND will find you one if you tell him what you are looking for and his prices seem very fair.
Take your time and good luck hunting for your pickup!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I have two mid-size suv's, and a full size pickup. I don't hunt, and don't own a boat, but do sometimes pull a quite-small camper.

The SUV's are a Toyota 4Runner and Nissan Pathfinder. The Nissan is newer and more lux, but less reliable than the toy. The nissan will be going away in the next year or possibly sooner. They have comparable miles

My question is, do you really need a pickup? I rarely drive mine. Going fishing, camping, taking the family, we use the SUV's. Granted, I can't haul a gun safe in the SUV, but for everyday, the midsize SUV is the way to go.

(we have three kids)

It's rare that I need the pickup. Too good of a deal to pass up though.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a 2019 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 rental for 3 weeks last month. The worst "road-noise" i've ever heard in any vehicle. I got around 18MPH. I just could not consider because of the road noise coming from the cab vents in the back. Keeping in mind I'm on my third Toyota Avalon. So i would consider myself a Toyota fan.
Might be worth waiting for the new 2020 Nissan Frontier.

https://youtu.be/vrwZSVJA0kY

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79