Fireline Ultra 8

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone have experience using this line yet? I pretty much use nanofil exclusively and a couple rods spooled with power pro super slick as well. Application would be pitching jigs/cranks and or jiggin raps/snap jigging depending on how the line is. I love nano for its castabilty and i really like it for line watching when working small finesse jigs as it lays on the water nice (hydrophobic). The short comings are obviously its lack of abrasion resistance. Super slick casts a damn mile too the only hangup i have is with vertical jigging the wind can have a tendency to loop the line around the rod tip.

Signed,

Single male, early 30's searching for the perfect fishing line.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The perfect fishing line is as elusive as the perfect female.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
nano is worth the maintenance

Speaking of the superiority of nano - what happened to Enslow?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s “ok”. It’s abrasion resistance is good and ties very easily. The negatives are that it is “thick” for lb test class and it has guide noise almost as bad as braid. Does not cast as well as Nano.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
nanofil-reigns-supreme.jpg

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s “ok”. It’s abrasion resistance is good and ties very easily. The negatives are that it is “thick” for lb test class and it has guide noise almost as bad as braid. Does not cast as well as Nano.

Ick. I hate guide noise

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guide noise is obnoxious. I can't tell you what it might do well because that reel got moved to a rigging rod, hence it now is collecting dust in the rod locker.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was curious about Ultra 8 as well or x9...maybe I'll pass on the Ultra 8. Anyone have knowledge of x9?

I also prefer pitching jigs, jigging raps, and casting cranks. I use fireline currently sometimes with a fluro leader sometimes without. What are you guys using that fish similar to what Wags and I are describing? Thanks

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup! Fishing line is like women, you need several different varieties to perform specific tasks;)

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that are in love with Nano. It seems to wear out (fray) much faster than say, Power Pro, especially the 5 feet closest to your lure/jig/whatever. How do you avoid an inopportune breakoff? Do you routinely cutoff a few feet? Asking for a friend...….

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For you guys that are in love with Nano. It seems to wear out (fray) much faster than say, Power Pro, especially the 5 feet closest to your lure/jig/whatever. How do you avoid an inopportune breakoff? Do you routinely cutoff a few feet? Asking for a friend...….

I use 3 ish feet of flouro leader tied direct with fg knot. But yes routinely inspect the nano for dings and cut off as needed. Cant say ive actually had to cut off more than a handfl of times a summer and thats usually when the leader is getting short anyway and i need to retie so i just cut off a few feet of nano as well. Ive had great luck with nano overall. I like it in the winter too but rubbing on the ice definitely frays more

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nanofil with a fluorocarbon leader... I just puked in my mouth a little.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use nano with a Fluoro leader as well pitching.
I think I have fireline that is older than my 19 year old, crazy how durable that stuff is.
There was some ultra 8 #30 for cheap, thought I'd put in on some bottom bouncer rigs..good greef you could use it for the anchor, stuff will not break. ALso comes off the spool like barbed wire ha ha.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Super 8 cast better than fireline. Better abrasion reistance than Nano. But I had issues with the line coming unraveled when casting jigging raps with it. I'm still a fireline guy when fishing vertical and casting jigging raps. I do have one question for the Nano users. Why does this line suck so bad when fishing in trees or rocks. I cant stand Nano for these reasons. I cant even count how many fish I've lost because of my Nono line breaking.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

yes

it’s worth the effort for me

I’m not really all that o/c about cutting back

I honestly don’t recall a “nice fish breakoff” in the last several years

with modern rods/reels, a guy doesnt need to have the drag set over 75% or so of test poundage - max

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a rock/tree guy

If I was I’d use something else

- - - Updated - - -

Nanofil with a fluorocarbon leader... I just puked in my mouth a little.

hi Enslow!!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes

it’s worth the effort for me

I’m not really all that o/c about cutting back

I honestly don’t recall a “nice fish breakoff” in the last several years

with modern rods/reels, a guy doesnt need to have the drag set over 75% or so of test poundage - max

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a rock/tree guy

If I was I’d use something else

- - - Updated - - -

hi Enslow!!

I'm back reel guy so my drag is set at 110%. I don't need no stinkin drag.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If using nanofil the double Palomar knot is a must.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62