Long range scope suggestions

Laurence

Hi folks I've built myself a nice rifle to take out to some decent ranges most of the time only 600 yards and on occasion 1km I've been looking at vortex viper pst gen 2 in ffp and mrad. Does anyone have recommendations for other rifle scopes I should look through before buying price range up to about 1600 before taxes. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is the scope I am using, but in minute of angle. You can range as well with minute of angle as with mrad. What I like is when I know the range I can judge size through the reticle with math that is so simple I can do it in my head quickly. I have the scope on a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a few of the first generation also, but I sure like 25 minutes of angle per revolution on the turrets. Keeps an old geezer like myself from loosing track.
I have the 5x25, and older 6x24, but I run a couple of 4x16 for larger animals. I have never owned Nighforce, but they are great scopes. I prefer my Vortex to the Mark IV Leupolds, Nikons, and Sightrons I have had.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of rifle is this going on?

I really like my Leupold VX6HD 4-24. It's SFP though, which I prefer on that rifle because I use it mainly for hunting.

I've never actually held one, but people seem to think the Athlon Ares ETR is a very good value, and well under your budget.

Then there's the Tract Toric. They are very intriguing. Seems like a lot of quality stuff (Schott glass, built by LOW in Japan) for the price. If I was in the market, I'd be looking real hard at them.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I very, VERY rarely buy a scope new, and NEVER buy an expensive scope new. Hi-end optics outfits like Leupold, Nightforce, Trijicon have all repaired scopes for me if something went wrong and never charged a dime. I was not the original purchaser on any of them.

If you plan on hunting a lot with this rifle, weight should be a consideration. Most long-range scopes are going to weigh 2lbs and up. Leupold VX6 is the exception.

Vortex is clearancing out the Razor HD GenII 4.5-27x scopes right now. A few months ago they were $2500, now down to $1850 new. Used they can be found for $1650-1750. Very popular optic and one of the few Vortex products made in USA.

As SDMF said, Nightforce NXS is good.

Leupold recently came out with a Mark 5 series that has been receiving rave reviews and they can be found used/like new for $1550-1750.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have 2 NXS 5.5-22x56. One in mil and one in MOA. Always perform flawlessly. Highly recommended.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many options out there for that budget. I run a lot of different scopes from Ziess, Athlon, etc. I sold off all my Vortex and replaced with Athlon when I became a dealer. I also run their spotter and now the rangefinding bino's. I won't sit here and tell you they are the holy grail of optics because there are better out there. But for the money they do what they claim to do. As stated earlier the Ares would be a nice fit and comparable to the PST only better price. I am building a 22 Creedmoor right now and the Ares is gonna be sitting on top of that. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second the used Nightforce just make sure you get the zero stop model. The elevation cap should be domed not flat if you're looking at pictures of used NXS scopes online.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many options out there for that budget. I run a lot of different scopes from Ziess, Athlon, etc. I sold off all my Vortex and replaced with Athlon when I became a dealer. I also run their spotter and now the rangefinding bino's. I won't sit here and tell you they are the holy grail of optics because there are better out there. But for the money they do what they claim to do. As stated earlier the Ares would be a nice fit and comparable to the PST only better price. I am building a 22 Creedmoor right now and the Ares is gonna be sitting on top of that. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Range finding binos when did they put these out?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

https://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-10x50-rangefinding-binocular-p/

In the specifications they show 19.3MM worth of eye relief, they'll work well for glasses wearers. Good call on showing "deer" vs. reflective target ranging capability. Setting a customer's expectation is a good thing.

Here's another used Nightforce that'd fit all the criteria.:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...w/1/nightforce-nxs-5-5-22x56-mlr-25moa#UNREAD

Last edited:

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member

They released them at shot show. Waiting for more to show but I have one of the first sets and they are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

They claim 800 yards at deer but believe me they range much farther. I have been ranging small bushes at 1500. I have ranged coyotes in snow out to 750 which my rangefinders in that past always struggled in snow.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
one positive about voretex is they stand behind there products. 100% no questiosn asked
wife slipped in the badlands and landed on a rock with the binos and fucked the eyepice up. called them told them exactly what happened i would bet it was 2 maybe 3 weeks tops they send up a brand new pair said he old pair was not replaceable.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
one positive about voretex is they stand behind there products. 100% no questiosn asked
wife slipped in the badlands and landed on a rock with the binos and fucked the eyepice up. called them told them exactly what happened i would bet it was 2 maybe 3 weeks tops they send up a brand new pair said he old pair was not replaceable.

There are 2 ways a company can offer a warrantee like that.

1. Build stuff so well that it doesn't break/wear out. Zeiss, Leica, and Swaro do that well. I've owned multiple examples of each and have yet to have an optical problem with any of them. Did have an LRF issue w/2 Zeiss Victory RF binocs and my 1st set of Leica Geovids. All 3 were repaired no questions asked, but, because they had to go back to Germany, did take a while. Zeiss sent me loaners next-day air. Geovids went in during the off-season so I didn't ask.

2. Don't sweat build quality, just advertise the shit outta your stuff and charge 5x more than the piece of shit is worth and you can afford to replace it a few times.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79