Tents

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here something that hasn't been debated yet, at least that I know of.....
Best tent to get?
2-4 man
Been looking to get one, but can't make up my mind. Want something thats gonna
stand up to elements and etc.
Ready...GO

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I have had a 2 person Eureka extreme weather tent for about 20 years and it has been through every type of weather one could imagine and it has and is still holding up excellent, we used to almost live in it every weekend for many years from spring to fall and is still like new, had to replace one pole a few years ago but that was our own fault tripped and snapped one while setting it up one time, may or may not have been a few refreshments consumed before hand but the details on that are fuzzy.....................due to time passed since then you know.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you say 2-4 man tent, are you looking for space of 4 people plus gear or a manufacturers so called "4 man" tent where you are required to be butt buddies to actually fit?

What are you using said tent for? Time of year? Can you drive up to the camp spot and deal with a 35 lb tent or need to hike in few miles with a 3 lb tent? There are endless possibilities but really depends what you plan to do with it.

I have a Cabelas 8 man Alaskan Guide which has handled some nasty shit. Have fit three cots plus gear in it. A fourth cot would be tight.

If I was packing in a tent, I would be looking at a Seek Outside Cimarron but don't think you will be fitting four people in that.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabelas guide series and dont look back..... Aluminum poles if weight is an issue, fiberglass if not.

These are not backpack tents.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to hijack the thread (guess I'm a thread pirate.) I need a decent tent for the family. Just simple lakeside camping but I don't want crap. Spacious and comfortable, won't take 90 minutes to set up and tear down. Recommendations?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I would still camp if I was still pitching a tent, but when we did tent camp we bought an 8 man, and it was still a bit small for 4 of us.

If I remember right we had a pole break too, I remember using Duct tape to fix it, and it seemed to work. Getting them back into the provided sack is like getting one of them corded fillet knives back into the hard case with all that GD cord hanging out everywhere.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I would still camp if I was still pitching a tent, but when we did tent camp we bought an 8 man, and it was still a bit small for 4 of us.

If I remember right we had a pole break too, I remember using Duct tape to fix it, and it seemed to work. Getting them back into the provided sack is like getting one of them corded fillet knives back into the hard case with all that GD cord hanging out everywhere.

so you mean you don't camp anymore? :;:sorry

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to hijack the thread (guess I'm a thread pirate.) I need a decent tent for the family. Just simple lakeside camping but I don't want crap. Spacious and comfortable, won't take 90 minutes to set up and tear down. Recommendations?

don't mind it all slim...lol

I pick 2-4 man because I know they are over rated for the actuall capcaity...otherwise its just for me, that will fit a queen size air matteress, sleeping back and room to put shit....may even go with a 6 man tent if need to be...just like to know some thoughts out there from people who have tents and which ones are better for the money....carry on slim

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member

So is it the actual tent part that you struggle with or the pitching of it…or both ?!?

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Coleman 6 man instant tent and while it's really easy to set up. It didn't handle a stiff breeze very well, the poles didn't break but the wind really stretched the seams so much that I can now see daylight through every seem on the roof.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest tent mistake I ever made was selling my 12 X 17 wall tent to buy a 12 1/2 X 22 Denali. That Realite material that Cabela's pushed sweat like a --- well never mind. Anyway, the Cabela's Alaskan Guide are very nice.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a Eureka Taron 2 which I use for backpack hunting. I have slept two men in it and its just enough room to sleep but it has 2 vestibules for keeping gear and boots out of the elements. I would own another if it ever went bad.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would personally recommend the Cabelas Westwind tents. Less $$$ than the Alaskan Guide series but still tons of features. I have had my 4 man for several years and it's been through snow, hail, and 70 mph winds. I am extremely pleased with the tent. It's kept me dry through some big rains. The 4 man version will fit a queen mattress and gear. Two person pretty much IMO.

Anyone have a recommendation for a big multi room family type tent that can handle some weather? 8-12 person size?

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cabelas Alaskan guide series 6 man tent. I love it. No issues in the 3yrs I've had it. Camping in the boundary waters last yr it rained all 7 days I was there and stayed dry as can be. Well made tent. Get the floor cover as it's nice to just pull it out and shake out instead of sweeping it out everytime

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a Kelty tent for many years and really like it. Quick to set up and I haven't broken anything on it yet. If you get a Kelty it is nice to have the matching footprint.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74