HB 1503 - Trail cams

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought this was interesting....

HB 1503 – Requires an individual who enters private property and installs a device for observing, recording or photographing wildlife to either receive written permission from the landowner, or identifies the device with a permanently affixed metal or plastic tag with a registration number issued by the Game and Fish Department, or the individual’s name, address and telephone number.

It was in the recent G&F email on the bills that were passed.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if it's public land then it doesn't apply?

HB 1503 – Requires an individual who enters private property and installs a device for observing, recording or photographing wildlife to either receive written permission from the landowner, or identifies the device with a permanently affixed metal or plastic tag with a registration number issued by the Game and Fish Department, or the individual’s name, address and telephone number.

I would say no it does not apply. It says private property. Public property is... public not private. Just my thoughts... I could be wrong.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is the regulation for WMA's -

"Tree stands, ground blinds, game cameras, and traps. No person may construct or use a permanent tree stand or permanent steps to a tree stand or permanent ground blind on any wildlife management area. Portable tree stands and portable steps, screw-in steps, natural tree stands, portable ground blinds, and game cameras may be used. Portable tree stands and portable steps are defined as those that are held to the tree with ropes, straps, cables, chains, or bars. Screw-in steps are those that are screwed into the tree by hand without the aid of any tools. Ladder-type stands that lean against the tree are portable stands. A notched board placed in a tree crotch is a portable stand. Natural stands are those crotches, trunks, down trees, etc., where no platform is used. The owner's name, city, and telephone number, the owner's North Dakota hunter education number, or a unique identification number issued by the department must be on the tree stand, portable ground blind, game cameras, and traps, and be readable from the ground"

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^Ah, so the rule was already in place for public land. This just makes it apply to private, too.

You either need written permission, in which case you can hang trail cams and be done with it. Or (I assume on unposted property) you can hang camera's without landowner permission, but need a tag with your identification/contact info.

Interesting.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is by and large a non issue i would imagine. Even less so than the trespass bill... Why do elected officials feel the need to pass laws for the sake of passing laws? Dumb. I wish trumps promise of passing a law meant you had to take 2 others off the books would come to fruition and implement it at the state level as well.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
this past winter had a number of cameras up on public land.

Game and fish came and deleted pictures on one camera, turn one camera around, turn a couple off, and some other things.
Make sure he was not on the camera with pictures on certain cameras however, he did not find all cameras and guess what, he was on camera. Called and said he did it but not why when asked. Make copies of deleted pictures and return to me minus his picture if they were taken. ????????????

Also said at that time all cameras needed an id on them with the game and fish (that was his answer as to why). Said it is the law or maybe the rule. So fine, will comply. Maybe help when they get stolen and will now know who else is up there. I assume game and fish will tell me. db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
fugging dumb.

So now I have to write permission slips for people to hang cameras on my land? Not landowner friendly, I don't want to have to write out permission slips.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
If someone calls me to hang a camera on my land and I say sure and it gets stolen am I liable??

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow. Who the hell just assumes the landowner is going to be cool with you planting cameras on their land??? I wouldn't even have thought of not checking with the property owner. Am I that behind the times?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
fugging dumb.

So now I have to write permission slips for people to hang cameras on my land? Not landowner friendly, I don't want to have to write out permission slips.

There is the word “or” a few times so no

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
its the written permission thing that is strange. i guess the only way it comes up is if the landowner calls you in i suppose. so, probably nothing to worry about if you trust each other.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont think its gonna change a thing. I would venture to guess the overwhelming majority of people who hang stands, blinds, and cameras and continual check them during the course of the year have talked with the landowner in most cases.

I know all of the landowners my bowhunting stuff is on very well and could pull out a text thread if anyone questions me.

I know I wouldn't hang blinds, stands , cameras without speaking to landowner first regardless if its posted or not. im not saying I always ask for everything I do. ( un posted land of course) but in the case where you have equipment set up and will be checking it numerous times during the year I wouldn't do it without permission.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i dont think its gonna change a thing. I would venture to guess the overwhelming majority of people who hang stands, blinds, and cameras and continual check them during the course of the year have talked with the landowner in most cases.

I know all of the landowners my bowhunting stuff is on very well and could pull out a text thread if anyone questions me.

I know I wouldn't hang blinds, stands , cameras without speaking to landowner first regardless if its posted or not. im not saying I always ask for everything I do. ( un posted land of course) but in the case where you have equipment set up and will be checking it numerous times during the year I wouldn't do it without permission.

Thats my point. Why put a useless law on the books?

- - - Updated - - -

The people at work that feel the need to pointlessly copy everyone in the company on emails (especially after hours or weekends) are the same types of people that run for public offices it seems.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is the word “or” a few times so no

Right you are, so I need to just make sure they register their camera with NDGF. That sounds even smarter than writing permission slips.

If'n you had told someone back in the 90s that we'd need to be checking our vehicle's Exhaust Fluid and registering your camera with the government some 20 years later...you'd have been laughed out of the bar.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags correct I would be In agreement with you

Allen I don’t think you would need to do a thing. If someone is on your land and your fine with it nothings gonna change. Its is bascially a pointless feel good law that does very very very little if anything other than make a couple people feel good

- - - Updated - - -

If I owned land and had a couple buddies hunting it that I knew I wouldn’t change shit no harm no foul no one needs to know who’s camera it is but me/landowner.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW I’m not getting write permission slips at all. I’ll have 15+ cameras out and am in contact with both of them often my texting thread will have to suffice

Boondoggle

I posted the following back on Jan 25 2019. I think all these bills, including the BS SB2315 database boondoggle , boils down to the laws the legislature passed in past sessions, specifically Chapter 36-21.2 which was voted down by 2/3 majority residents.

The sportsmen of ND need to band together to repeal Chapter 36-21.2, otherwise I think that Chapter will be the basis for more SB2315's in the future.

"Bear with me, this is my first post. I actually think SB 2315 has very little to do with hunting access, and everything to do with privacy of landowners, even at the expense of the present law (that works) and the longstanding hunting traditions established in ND. We as sportsmen are the ones that will pay the price in a debate between us vs them (state/agriculture/anti groups). We are now facing an uphill battle, and let me tell you what I think is behind what we are facing. My new guy opinion.

Back in 2012 the citizens of ND overwhelmingly defeated Measure 5 "North Dakota Prevention of Animal Cruelty Initiative" by an approx. 2/3 NO vote. Our legislators, in their infinite wisdom and feelings towards Fluffy the dog/cat/horse/cow, decided they knew better than the citizens, or were being paid for by the anti's. The legislators in the 2013 session (just a few months after the citizens rejected Measure 5) passed a law for the treatment of animals that resembled the words of the measure the citizens rejected, ND Century Code Chapter 36-21.2 if anyone is interested. Anyway, there is language in that law that includes animal seizures if an animal owner is suspected of abuse, neglect or cruelty. If you're not feeding or sheltering your animal "appropriately", your animal can be seized. If you're not seeking medical attention, your animal can be seized. Nobody wants to see Fluffy suffering so it sounds like a good law right? There are serious criminal charges (felonies) on the line without due process, they take your animals and you have to prove your innocence. A person accused of abusing a child in ND has more rights and oversight than a person accused of neglecting or abusing an animal. Same felony charges.

Fast forward to the spring of 2017 and here we go, we have an animal cruelty case posted all over the news. A horse rancher from Gladstone, ND charged with multiple felony cruelty and misdemeanor neglects for a herd of his horses. The Stark County sheriff showed up without notice, took pictures of his horses and property, and before you knew it a fleet of horse trailers were ready to haul off the horses for medical attention/adoption/sale. There's so much to that story that I think it's best left for you to read up on.

Thanks to the legislators in 2013 we have a bad animal cruelty law, and now an agriculture community that is raising the middle finger at the legislators (and the hunting community) saying stay off my lawn, don't come hauling away my animals, my land is posted until I give you permission. Period. In other words, I don't want my animals seized and my financial future ruined because someone (maybe a hunter) on or near my property might think my dog/cat/horse/cow is on the skinny side. Last summer I emailed 5 legislators in ND with comments and suggestions to revise the animal treatment chapter this session. None of the legislators wanted to touch it.

The ag community isn't going to sit back and tolerate the government entering their property without permission, taking pictures and seizing their assets/animals. HB 1503 was introduced this session to provide a penalty for observing, recording and photographing wildlife on private property without permission. HB 1290 was introduced to include language pertaining to law enforcement entry onto private land and what can be used as evidence in court.

As a feel-good measure SB 2315 provides for an opt-in database for land open to hunting. We already have the PLOTS program. Will PLOTS go away if this database is created? Without an incentive I predict very low participation in the opt-in database, and maybe even a dead PLOTS program. Hunting in ND could look very different in the future. Many people, including myself, will find another hobby.

To put a wrap on my opinions, ask members in the ag community, your legislators, or anyone with decision making power if the animal seizure language in Chapter 36-21.2 Treatment of Animals has any bearing on their position regarding SB 2315. I'm trying to put the pieces together, and it appears to me the animal laws might be driving the posted land effort. If so, we can thank the legislators for all of this."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80