humminbird helix

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone played around with one of these yet? I need a graph to put on the bow of my boat, most likely attached to the trolling motor. I don't think I need di or si or even gps on it since my main one is an 898. I don't fish out of the bow that often mainly because my graph is in the back. But for a few hundred dollars, it seems like a good deal compared to all the other graphs out there.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I almost bought one of these. I'm kind of wondering the same. I ended up putting a Lowrance Elite 7 hdi on (found a new one for $430 on Amazon), but could still use a decent graph up front. Seems like the new graphs are just 10x better than graphs from even 5 years ago.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a smoking deal on my 898. My wife is still mad about that purchase. I figured I'd decrease the amount of my next graph purchase.

Attachments

bcG5WCdCZSATDGG7hYxECM0WGepfftqFFW_8mII9I2A.jpg FiAJMFvaYbInwsur4q-XQ0rmk71rrdnVl-MmBZsuj0w.jpg MO0mxWS-uuOINNyVmMedTZHf9JgDGqevTguI1MlFSdE.jpg

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I got a smoking deal on my 898. My wife is still mad about that purchase. I figured I'd decrease the amount of my next graph purchase.

I have to hide money haha ... but it gets awkward when she notices a new toy out of nowhere.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
i almost took a few 9mm rounds when I talked about upgrading our gen1 HDS 5. The helix looks like a great value. I want to stick with lowrance because I think the are easier to use. and i hear the new motorguide can link up to lowrance.. All awhile down the road

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the only issue with the helix that I see. They do not network with other units. I'm pretty leery of buying anything the first year it comes out.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got one of the first Helix units out and modified it for catfishing. It pretty much works just like the other units as far is operation. The screen is really clear and easy to read. The only issue you may run into from your 898 is the Helix takes micro SD Lakemaster. So far very happy with the unit.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent yesterday in a boat with a guy who just bought the Helix si. It does everything that the bigger units do just in a smaller package. We set it up and got it dialed in and it was just like looking at a smaller version of my 898. Very clear resolution and simple to use. Great price point at $499.

Scheels in Fargo told me on Saturday that they are having trouble keeping it in stock.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen the same thing vollmer! If I would go with a helix it wouldn't be the si version. My 898 is already difficult enough to see the side imaging.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's kind of a bummer they don't network. I don't really wanna run another ducer. I just want another screen to run sure fire imaging so i can just run SI or mapping on my 1199

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to get the humminbird onyx 10" in the back of my boat and then put a tablet up front and passenger side that are all linked to the 1 graph plus then you get si, di, 360 and can connect to the min kota link

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya that's one of the newest things they are working on with the onyx series... link to tablets and your phone and capabilities to control the trolling motor and electronics from a tablet or phone also

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya that's one of the newest things they are working on with the onyx series... link to tablets and your phone and capabilities to control the trolling motor and electronics from a tablet or phone also

Thata going too far. When is enough enough?

I propose a tournament with no electronics. I think that might really show something about a fishermen.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lowrance was horrible so I bought a new Garmin Echo70DV and it is heads and shoulders better than my lowrance. I fished with a couple guys last year that were running both Lowrance and Birds and they both hated em too lol. They'll be switching to Garmin after seeing mine work.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Garmin does not link to your trolling motor so you canuse your gps to spot lock or lock onto a depth line and follow a specific depth hands free so you can just fish and not have to worry about boat control

MattB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a Helix SI. If you are concerned with networking or iPilot it definitely is not the unit for you. Otherwise, it's great if you are a casual fisherman who wants the imaging capabilities of the more expensive units. The screen is smaller, of course, but the image is really clear. Will get it's first run on the water next weekend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77