Archery Test for City Bow Hunt

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess you have to qualify in order to bow hunt deer in Bismarck. Have to hit 4 out of 5 shots in a 9 inch circle at 20 yards from an elevated position. Sounds pretty easy. The tags are still first come first serve though. That means guys will be waiting in line at 2 in the morning to get one. Wonder why they don't have a lottery.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kids also have to pass that test to shoot in Bismarck archery program. How is a first time kid that lives in town going to get better if they have to pass a test just to get into the program.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen Iverson practice.jpg

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could see this same test being used for kids wanting to hunt,it is actually pretty lienent for accuracy in a hunting situation,but absolutely ridiculous to use this same test for young kids wanting to learn.
I taught archery for Get Hooked on the Outdoors,for over 25 years,and many can become proficient in a short time,but the wee ones wont be able to cast an arrow that distance,short draw,low poundage,BIG arch!!
Not familiar with the Bismarck program,but this would take out the tiny shooters!!

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fully agree with there needing to be a proficiency test to obtain a hunting license for a city hunt. I've not real familiar with the Bismarck hunt but these types of hunts are damn near in the backyard of residents. Many of these residents see the deer as "pets" and are against these hunts. The last thing we need is for wounded deer running through backyards and with enough negative incidents getting something like this shut down. I understand it is hunting and shit happens but we should minimize those instances as much as possible. We should be holding ourselves to a higher standard then what the test requires.

It is unfortunate that kids need to take a proficiency test to get in an archery program. Only thing I can see is from a safety standpoint? Either way there should be a seperate program to get kids started into archery regardless of there level.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda stupid to require shooting from an elevated position when many bow hunters shoot from the ground... I think the max I harvested during the in city hunt in 1 year was 6, quite a while ago. Good way to get a little extra meat. That was before the nazi guy took over lincoln oaks nursery and turned it into his own little game preserve.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kids also have to pass that test to shoot in Bismarck archery program. How is a first time kid that lives in town going to get better if they have to pass a test just to get into the program.

Practice

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would imagine the proficiency test is to qualify for a more advanced program while there's no test for beginner level programs. Not?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

And where are these kid supposed to practice if they have to pass a test first to be able to shoot at the bismark range. I can see it now parents getting a ticket for there kid shooting bow in the backyard cause they can't pass the test yet to go to the range.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And where are these kid supposed to practice if they have to pass a test first to be able to shoot at the bismark range. I can see it now parents getting a ticket for there kid shooting bow in the backyard cause they can't pass the test yet to go to the range.

We are obviously missing some info here or something has been misunderstood. Where are you getting your info?

You do NOT have to pass a test to shoot at the Bismarck range, regardless of your age.
If you have to pass a proficiency test to enter some sort of class, then it is obviously not a beginners class.
What "Bismarck Archery Program" are you referencing?
Again, where are you getting your info?
And if you need a place to practice so you can get proficient enough to pass some sort of shooting test, Bismarck and Mandan both have public outdoor ranges specifically for practicing your archery skills, and the lower level of the Bismarck indoor range is open to the public also during certain time blocks, which circles back to my first statement...no age or skill level required to practice.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you have to qualify in order to bow hunt deer in Bismarck. Have to hit 4 out of 5 shots in a 9 inch circle at 20 yards from an elevated position. Sounds pretty easy. The tags are still first come first serve though. That means guys will be waiting in line at 2 in the morning to get one. Wonder why they don't have a lottery.

This city hunting program has been molded and changed a few times over the year. It turned into a shit show for awhile and I think some of the recent changes are trying to reverse that trend. I won't go into any details, but like most things in life...people were given an inch and some took a mile and ruined the whole experience for the rest...and some idiots broke about every law and rule that was put in front of them to try and create a successful and safe opportunity that would benefit the hunters and the city.

I agree with you that the proficiency test sounds pretty easy. I feel like it should be even stricter and more varied...gotta be able to shoot really well from ground and elevated position and pass some sort of background check (maybe that part has already been incorporated???).

Background check to maybe eliminate some of the thievery and other things that have happened in the past by at least attempting to weed out some folks with a storied past. This is probably just wishful thinking on my part that it would have prevented a tree stand and a blind from being stolen off of private property that bordered the city stuff.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are obviously missing some info here or something has been misunderstood. Where are you getting your info?

You do NOT have to pass a test to shoot at the Bismarck range, regardless of your age.
If you have to pass a proficiency test to enter some sort of class, then it is obviously not a beginners class.
What "Bismarck Archery Program" are you referencing?
Again, where are you getting your info?
And if you need a place to practice so you can get proficient enough to pass some sort of shooting test, Bismarck and Mandan both have public outdoor ranges specifically for practicing your archery skills, and the lower level of the Bismarck indoor range is open to the public also during certain time blocks, which circles back to my first statement...no age or skill level required to practice.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This city hunting program has been molded and changed a few times over the year. It turned into a shit show for awhile and I think some of the recent changes are trying to reverse that trend. I won't go into any details, but like most things in life...people were given an inch and some took a mile and ruined the whole experience for the rest...and some idiots broke about every law and rule that was put in front of them to try and create a successful and safe opportunity that would benefit the hunters and the city.

I agree with you that the proficiency test sounds pretty easy. I feel like it should be even stricter and more varied...gotta be able to shoot really well from ground and elevated position and pass some sort of background check (maybe that part has already been incorporated???)

ackground checks for bow hunting? Good one! I quit hunting USDA when they started requiring archery certificate to hunt there. I was one of the few that actually took a deer out of there every year, often I would get several....
B

Last edited:

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The test is for the city herd reduction hunt. Not to be able to use the range>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76