4th of July Salmon

Trolldeep

Hooked up 2 on my first day out. Second day not a bite. 65’ and 75’. Flasher & needle fish. Took a little while to find them. Marked the most fish on the leeward side of points in 100-120’ FOW. Didn’t mark much in the deeper water.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How come you never hear of people catching them jigging? Seems like you could drive around til you mark some and jig a big ass tube jig under the transducer? I’ve seen videos of folks doing it for lakers. That would be a hoot

rapala_09

Honored Member
How come you never hear of people catching them jigging? Seems like you could drive around til you mark some and jig a big ass tube jig under the transducer? I’ve seen videos of folks doing it for lakers. That would be a hoot

I've thought about that too. I guess they do it in Alaska, it's called mooching? I don't know why its not done on Sakakawea, but I've never tried it either!

Trolldeep,
Thanks for the good info. I'm glad to hear it. I was going to give it a try next week but was wondering if it may be a little early. I guess there's a chance though!

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did it in Alaska in the bays when they were filled with Silver's and King's. Too much action to make downrigging worth the while. Humpback's feeding right there with us.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've thought about that too. I guess they do it in Alaska, it's called mooching? I don't know why its not done on Sakakawea, but I've never tried it either!

We mooched for salmon off the coast of northern California (SF, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz,Monterey) during the late 80's and thru the 90's when there were huge schools of salmon offshore. It would not be uncommon to have 300 - 500 boats on a school of fish that would be several miles across. The salmon push the bait fish (anchovies) to the surface and then feed from the bottom. We would pull line off in 1' pulls until we were at the bottom of the bait ball. When the salmon numbers dwindled we went back to trolling with downriggers to cover more area and find more fish. I don't think the numbers of salmon in Sak would be high enough to make mooching worth while.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76