ND Deer Lottery

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why the heck can't we have the lottery run yet? 10 years ago we had our tags in our mailboxes less than 30 days after the application deadline.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's because not enough people call them and pressure them. maybe you should call them and give them hell :) ::::;:sorry

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Busy with licenses for the rainbow crowd.
or something like that.
Especially dodge owners
A drawing for the lottery for multi millions of people for multi millions of dollars twice a week can somehow happen, but a few thousand tags in a lotto takes months?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't called the G&F and harassed them, but I am starting to think we should. It's ridiculous that they cannot manage to complete the lottery in under 30 days.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a revenue generation method. The longer they keep your license fees making interest, the better it is for them. If they run the lottery, they have to pay back the fee to all those who got turned down. That's the only reason I can come up with that makes any sense.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
i talked to those gibronis and they actually said that they are getting better, I told them we used to get our tags early july before the advances in computers and they told me that never happened? Didn't we used to know around the 4th if we drew a deer tag? I never remember waiting as long as it has been, i almost wonder if some of it is checking all the gratis permits. Either way this is ridiculous If they would invest a little money into a decent program for doing the paper copies or just phase the paper copies out and extend the deadline to apply to middle of june and set up kiosk to apply in various spots throughout the state. Then do the dawing after the fourth or before have results on the net no later then the 8th of july. The GNF needs to pull their heads out of their ass and get this done, I'd be willing to help for no monetary compensation give me a buck tag yearly and if you want help with the big three I would take one of those every three years.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
I honestly feel it's a interest/revenue scheme. The GnF is funded by tags/license fees and fines. The longer they hold umpteen million $$ in the coffers in a high yield account, the more $$ they have when the time comes to return it.
With the electronic age there is no reason for this bunk... set a kill date on electronic apps, then go online and see your results when the two week window to apply ends. There are folks that still want to deal with paper because they have no internet or don't wanna deal with computers.... fine. The Gnf *could* probably make a deal with the LGS and get a few kiosks setup, or have a phone system setup to dial in 24x7 and apply.

I know my answer isn't the right one..... but heck, ANYTHING is better than what's going on these days.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
if its a revenue thing tell everyone you will send refunds out on the august 30th keep that extra money,(if it's not being held in an interest free trust) longer i'm not going to miss the money as long as i know it is coming back. There is no reason that we can't have the tags done a couple weeks after the deadline, but someone will bitch that they didn't get their 30 bucks back when they didn't get the tag and then we have another can of worms. I just want to know if i should plan vacation for bowhunting, rifle hunting, or going to the bahamas

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id rather the money is kept in the coffers for NEXT year, if I don't pull the tag I desire, so those funds are right there, waiting for next fall... or can be applied to anything I need from the GnF.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's the damned two deadline deal. Everyone has to get apps in on a certain date, but the 2% that can't get shit filled out right are given another chance. I'd be curious as to how much time is given to the 2%ers to fill it out again.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
If someone can't fill out a simple form and send it off, they honestly shouldn't be trusted in the field with a firearm......

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If interest rates were higher, I might consider it a reason. But, by holding that money 20 days more it wouldn't amount to much more than a bag full of nickels.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDGF should do the same as other states. If you fill out your application wrong you get a letter back saying "Thank You, and good luck next year". People will learn quickly or pay more attention when filling out the apps. Holding up 100,000 potential hunters for 30 days or more because a low percent can't fill them out correctly is wrong.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a revenue generation method. The longer they keep your license fees making interest, the better it is for them. If they run the lottery, they have to pay back the fee to all those who got turned down. That's the only reason I can come up with that makes any sense.

This is pretty much the only reason for it.

The GNF has used just about every excuse they could come up with the last few years but none of them are true. I'd rather they just move the application deadline up to May 1st so we can have results by July 1st again. Absolute BS that people have to wait this long to find out if they will be hunting in their own state this fall and whether they need to save vacation time or not!

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short term, high risk....
The money HAS to be going somewhere. Speaking of which, I wonder if an audit has ever been done to explain this, let alone the lag time.
The excuses they have given over the years has been nothing short of comical...

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they wait to put them out until they are done doing their deer counts in order to set a number of tags so moving the deadline up would involve more guess work on tags?????

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
If they actually did deer counts................

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69